Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2022, 04:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #27581
2023 Tuscany 40RT Freeze lock?

Just got this coach and it seems to have quite a lot of issues (par for the course I guess). Service appointments are hard to get, so need to solve some stuff myself. One of the issues is the freezer. There is a nice lock on the fridge door, but nothing on the freezer and it constantly opens doing right turns even if there is nothing in there? I am planning to install my own lock but I have two questions:

1. Shouldn't this have come with some kind of locking mechanism from the factory?

2. If it does not, what locks do other folks use and suggest? I did find the same one on the fridge door on Amazon so could try that, but not sure if that is the best option for the freezer or not.

Suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 08-05-2022, 04:39 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
we purchased a set of baby door holder closer things, one side Velcros to a pad on the trim panel of wall and the other in the door, ti snaps locked and has worked very well for years. even when you try to open said door and forget to unlatch it, it STOPS you

they were in the baby safety aisle of lowes or home depot

basically a strap with a snap latch like a seat belt and about 8 inches long
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door latch.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	39033  
Old 08-05-2022, 05:41 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
We have the double door model so one lock works great

Sounds like the factory switched types of fridges and forgot to tell the people ordering the fridge door locks
Old 08-05-2022, 05:53 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
This is what I have on my fridge. It mounts between the top freezer door and the bottom fridge door and keeps both door from opening while traveling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 1.51.39 PM.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	39034  
Old 08-07-2022, 02:34 AM   #5

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
contact thor. My guess is they forgot to instal the device. If so they will send you the part. So you bought a 2023 Tuscany the the stealer just puts you in line for something so minor. Maybe call the sales rep and have him help. Ours helped us out 10 months after we bought.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:17 PM   #6

THOR #27581
I did contact Thor and to be blunt, their customer service reps are absolutely useless at the moment. I can't get a straight answer from them on any of my queries.

I did get some of the baby locks from Amazon but it seems like it it supposed to have a lock of some type and they forgot to put it on. The fridge is a double door fridge up top and a larger pull out drawer for the freezer on the bottom. The top door has this lock on it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IKFIICE...roduct_details

Seems like there should have been another one of those on the freezer? I did order that unit and have it so might try to install it myself or have the dealer sort it out when I take it in for some service on Wednesday.

Got a LOT of issues with this dang thing. Quality seems to have gone to shit IMHO. Hopefully they can fix it all. Just found out after the last trip the entire water tank seems to have moved forward and yanked the piping that has the valve to empty it out of it's location. Grrrr.

Anyway I have attached a picture of what the fridge looks like as the one I have is identical to the one in the matterport on their site. And you can see it only has one lock!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	39068  
Old 08-09-2022, 01:03 AM   #7

THOR #9178
I have a similar fridge

One lock works fine

1/2 on each door
Old 08-21-2022, 12:11 AM   #8

State: West Virginia
THOR #2592
I feel your pain as quality control appears to be nonexistent. My response was to take it back to the dealer. As a fellow owner of a new Class A said to me (Tiffin)) the first year of ownership is getting the coach right.
Old 08-21-2022, 03:20 AM   #9

THOR #27581
Yeah it’s normal to have to fix stuff the first year, but the amount of things wrong, missing or just badly assembled is like nothing I have ever seen before with any other unit. Just shoddy workmanship. My dealer has been good fixing stuff. My whole fresh water tank moved in transit! Wtf. The dealer fabricated some new brackets so it won’t ever move again. They also installed a freezer lock for me.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:33 AM   #10

THOR #9178
Glad you're getting things fixed

Sounds like more issues than there should be

Our Frigidaire doesn't have a freezer lock, and it has never came open traveling

It's a 2016 so Frigidaire must have changed their design
Old 08-22-2022, 06:22 PM   #11

THOR #27581
Is your fridge the same as mine with two doors up top and freezer down below?

I just noticed when packing up to come home from Mrytle Beach that the right fridge door is not fully closing as it's binding up at the top where it is hitting the flashing. I think the fridge is recessed too far and perhaps the freezer is binding up a bit also so not fully latching itself when closed?

Tags
40rt, freezer, tuscany