Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2019, 11:30 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
I agree avoid it if you are just going for recreation, the tent wont freeze up

We have been in quite a few temps down to zero or a bit lower and the diesel burner runs full time plus we usually use the fireplace in the morning to get up to 70 or so.

Going to cost a lot for heat and is it worth it? You can easily go through a couple small tanks of propane a day and if you have windy conditions you arn't going to have fun
Remember a long time ago staying in a trailer in Yuma, Az. and the propane heater for the RV was not working. Ok, I had a fur blanket and I used a one burner camp stove to turn on at night and to turn it on again when I woke up. If it would have gotten colder I would have stayed inside the blanket until noon.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:44 AM   #62

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Remember a long time ago staying in a trailer in Yuma, Az. and the propane heater for the RV was not working. Ok, I had a fur blanket and I used a one burner camp stove to turn on at night and to turn it on again when I woke up. If it would have gotten colder I would have stayed inside the blanket until noon.
I've had to stay under piles of goose down covers for days at a time this winter, eapecially during my 1st week of rv'ing. Even my service dog approves of smothering under blankets when it gets that cold[emoji190] [emoji39]
Old 02-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #63

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Girl View Post
I've had to stay under piles of goose down covers for days at a time this winter, eapecially during my 1st week of rv'ing. Even my service dog approves of smothering under blankets when it gets that cold[emoji190] [emoji39]
Yeah, those little coleman one burner heaters, cook stoves and lanterns all provide heat. Just need lots of the little propane bottles. I suppose with so much fire in a close space you ought to cracked a window for oxygen though. I carry some extra water in plastic bottles cause the tank water and camp water will taste different in the coffee. Guess if you add some brandy to the cup.... Oh yeah, you remember about adding distilled water to the batteries in the old days? Well you got to do that too. Buy a turkey baster and use it for adding water. And changing batteries has been talked about on here. They are a pain.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:23 PM   #64

THOR #13770
Quote:
Yeah, those little coleman one burner heaters, cook stoves and lanterns all provide heat. Just need lots of the little propane bottles. I suppose with so much fire in a close space you ought to cracked a window for oxygen though. I carry some extra water in plastic bottles cause the tank water and camp water will taste different in the coffee. Guess if you add some brandy to the cup.... Oh yeah, you remember about adding distilled water to the batteries in the old days? Well you got to do that too. Buy a turkey baster and use it for adding water. And changing batteries has been talked about on here. They are a pain.
I just changed the batteries that came w/mine after a very frozen 1st week of rv'ing where the temps remained in the teens. Didn't want to ever have a sitrep like that again where my batteries were dead before the sun rose. I picked up to 6v agm's (don't recall the brand) & haven't had any trouble with them during a number of similar frozen nights (though thankfully not another full week) of temps hovering in he teens. My nearly 2 months of rv life has been focussed on how not to become a human popsicle, lol![emoji300] [emoji6]
Old 02-27-2019, 06:51 PM   #65
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
So far: so good...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:44 PM   #66

THOR #8432
Quote:
I just changed the batteries that came w/mine after a very frozen 1st week of rv'ing where the temps remained in the teens. Didn't want to ever have a sitrep like that again where my batteries were dead before the sun rose. I picked up to 6v agm's (don't recall the brand) & haven't had any trouble with them during a number of similar frozen nights (though thankfully not another full week) of temps hovering in he teens. My nearly 2 months of rv life has been focussed on how not to become a human popsicle, lol![emoji300] [emoji6]
Those propane 'anything that puts out heat' are a last resort to stay warm. Keep like 10 bottles handy.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:53 PM   #67

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
So far: so good...
Yep, no frostbite!
Old 02-27-2019, 08:54 PM   #68

THOR #13770
Quote:
Those propane 'anything that puts out heat' are a last resort to stay warm. Keep like 10 bottles handy.
Thanks
Old 02-27-2019, 11:22 PM   #69
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Yep, no frostbite!
You need to adopt an extra dog or two...
Where you do thing the phrase, "Thee dog night" finds it's origins?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:30 PM   #70

THOR #8432
Quote:
Trouble is ... an I like pets too, is they gotta go, same as us, but outside. We got a Dacshund now that she won't go outside if it's wet or cold. Think she's a 'pedigree' and we have to change the weather somehow.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:18 AM   #71

Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #8350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I have a Chateau 31E class C, and here is my experience camping in very cold weather. It wasn't -20F, but it was close to zero.

I was not winterized, figuring that if the coach was kept at a comfortable temperature for humans then the plumbing would not freeze, and I had no problems with the interior plumbing. The external drain line for the freshwater tank froze, so de-winterizing after the trip was a huge pain.

I have heated holding tanks inside a compartment, so they were fine. However, the drain piping downstream of the tanks froze so I was unable to dump the tanks. Putting some anti-freeze in the tanks might prevent this, but I'm not positive.

The RV got covered with road salt during the trip, and I couldn't wash it well until the weather warmed up, and this resulted in a lot of corrosion under the chassis, corroded compartment door locks, etc.
I’ve got a quantum with similar build and features. I’m planning to full time in Indiana after what’s turning into a mess of a divorce. Last winter was long - and the low temps were about -15 F and - 45 factoring windchill. That only happened once for a few days. Otherwise the temps were in the teens. Planning on additional electric heat, adding a heat pump to the masters bedroom, and an external propane source. Planning on buying hay bales for skirting.

Did the low water release break when it froze? Think I’ll be ok with this?
Old 06-02-2019, 02:47 AM   #72

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
I thought that's why motorhomes had wheels. Head South. If I camp in freezing it's because I didn't plan very well. Good luck to those who do.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:15 AM   #73

Model: A.C.E. Evo 27.2
State: Connecticut
THOR #15114
Great Stuff

Not the foam. This thread was excellent, thank every darn one of you for the laughs. Great info as we prepare to leave AZ and head back to CT in friggin' January. Shopping list: plenty of antifreeze, lots of water, gin. Get quotes for arctic upgrade. Thanks again. M@tt, if you're still alive, your apparent fan club would like to hear from you.
Old 12-12-2020, 04:33 AM   #74

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I didn't read the posts because we have a good hand on the cold weather camping.

We use electric bla'nkets and have set them up to use amazon echo devices.
'Alexa, turn on beds'
OK.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #75
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Some people make the choice to camp in winter:

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #76

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
And I have done the AT in NC in April, but I won’t even consider camping in anything at -20. I wouldn’t even drive a 4WD truck to a hotel in -20. Yes, wheels are meant for southward motion at those temps.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #77

Model: A.C.E. Evo 27.2
State: Connecticut
THOR #15114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Some people make the choice to camp in winter:

Some people are cray.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #78

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Smile

Quote:
Yep! We go with 3 mini schnauzers. Never a dull moment. Changed out the jackknife sofa for 2 recliners just so they would be more comfortable and have something to fight over
Old 12-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #79
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorg View Post
some people are cray.
lmao!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #80

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragegame View Post
I’ve got a quantum with similar build and features. I’m planning to full time in Indiana after what’s turning into a mess of a divorce. Last winter was long - and the low temps were about -15 F and - 45 factoring windchill. That only happened once for a few days. Otherwise the temps were in the teens. Planning on additional electric heat, adding a heat pump to the masters bedroom, and an external propane source. Planning on buying hay bales for skirting.

Did the low water release break when it froze? Think I’ll be ok with this?
I would highly recommend any type of foam board or canvas/vinyl skirting other than hay bales. The hay is like lighting the VACANCY sign to all sorts of critters the join you in your warm rv.
Also those that are using Coleman stoves/lanterns or any lp or Coleman fuel fired devices indoors for heat you better open a vent & crack a couple windows or the cold won't be your biggest concern, waking up will be due to carbon monoxide.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
24hl, cold weather, four winds