Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2018, 04:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Camping World gave me a good surprise today!

Camping World gave me a good surprise today. For real.

But first a little background info.

Back in March I dropped my coach off with CW so they could take care of a few minor things before I hit my one year anniversary. Well of coarse that was a nightmare (No surprise here - keep reading).

They had to get everything authorized from Thor first then order parts. Once the parts come in they said they would call me to set up another appt to drop the RV off for a week (or more) so they can complete the work.

Well 5 mo later they still didnt call me (and they had the parts in stock) - no surprise here either.

BUT when I picked up the RV back in March they left my lights on in the coach for a few days and completely killed my two Coach batteries and of coarse they would NOT stand behind them and Harris would not do anything as well. But that is all history.... I installed two 6 Volt AGM’s and everything is wonderful now.

Needless to say I was apprehensive to drop my coach off AGAIN.

I called them TODAY and asked if my part came in, they said “Yes” (Keep in mind I had to call them to find this out 5 mo later!!).

So here is the good Surprise I told you about and your anxiously waiting for……..

I ask the service manager “How about I just come over today and pickup the parts and install them myself”? He said “Sure, no problem, What time?”….. I said “well.... how about now?”. He said “Well im going to lunch now ..... how about in an hour?” So I was at his desk 59 minutes later. LOL. (Im lucky that CW is only 3 miles away from me).

They had all but ONE part (No surprise here). So he was going to reorder that part and let me know later (there goes another 5 mo – But now l will just call him every week or so since I know I can pickup my own parts).

He was very nice (I will say they were always very nice to me during this whole ordeal).

SO If you’re a tinkerer like me - and you have some warrantee (or even some non Warrantee) work to be done AND you know YOU can replace/fix yourself - just Ask for the parts and save yourself the aggravation. I know I will.

It’s really a win win. I get what I want and he don’t have to install the parts. In fact he will probably summit an invoice for the stuff approve by Thor and make money for doing nothing.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
You're just training him to be even a bigger failure. He will now stall everyone and start suggesting they just come get their own parts and do it themselves. I bet he still filed a claim with Thor for the labor. Call Thor warranty and verify. I actually prefer your method...at least you know it will be done this year and done right the first time.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's good to be handy with tools...

But it's rough having to watch it from over here!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #4

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
You're just training him to be even a bigger failure. He will now stall everyone and start suggesting they just come get their own parts and do it themselves. I bet he still filed a claim with Thor for the labor. Call Thor warranty and verify. I actually prefer your method...at least you know it will be done this year and done right the first time.
Im sure we are the minority here on this Forum. We love our RV's and would rather do the work ourselves. But they were super nice to me and also walked away with two tubes of body color caulk (for Free). So im not going to complain.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #5

THOR #12231
I just want the do it your selfer's to know this might be an option in some cases (but not all im sure). Trim work, outlets and caulk are all very easy to do at home in like 1 or 2 hours.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That's good to know: my Missus knows how to run a really fine bead of caulk!
( Mine always end up looking like a giant cow-pie... )
Old 08-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #7

THOR #12231
Yeah mine too, You must have went to the same caulking school that I did. LOL.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
My instructor was this Guy:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1533218036
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marty-feldman.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	11968  
Old 08-02-2018, 01:58 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
While my coach was still under warranty, I was able to get Thor to send me parts directly and installed/repaired them myself. They sent me a new 50amp power cable, new air mattress, replacement compartment latch, refrigerator travel latch, new outside heater cover and there may have been a few other parts I can't recall right now. The key was hooking up with someone at Thor customer service that was knowledgeable and reliable. I heard that that is not easy these days as their customer service employee turnaround is bad.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #10

THOR #12231
Good to know. Then Thor customer service called me a few months ago to see how I was doing I asked if they could send me my parts directly and they said no. Next time I will just keep calling them until somebody says YES.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Good to know. Then Thor customer service called me a few months ago to see how I was doing I asked if they could send me my parts directly and they said no. Next time I will just keep calling them until somebody says YES.
I think it depends on what the repair is. We had a defective washer motor that Thor shipped to me for replacement (I had to ship the old one back to them).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree... They're probably okay with allowing us to do the sort of procedures that the typical Chimpanzee (like me!) could complete.
But they're sure not going to be sending us any fissionable materials, and expecting us to fix our own bombs!
Old 08-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #13

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Quote:
Camping World gave me a good surprise today. For real.

But first a little background info.

Back in March I dropped my coach off with CW so they could take care of a few minor things before I hit my one year anniversary. Well of coarse that was a nightmare (No surprise here - keep reading).

They had to get everything authorized from Thor first then order parts. Once the parts come in they said they would call me to set up another appt to drop the RV off for a week (or more) so they can complete the work.

Well 5 mo later they still didnt call me (and they had the parts in stock) - no surprise here either.

BUT when I picked up the RV back in March they left my lights on in the coach for a few days and completely killed my two Coach batteries and of coarse they would NOT stand behind them and Harris would not do anything as well. But that is all history.... I installed two 6 Volt AGM’s and everything is wonderful now.

Needless to say I was apprehensive to drop my coach off AGAIN.

I called them TODAY and asked if my part came in, they said “Yes” (Keep in mind I had to call them to find this out 5 mo later!!).

So here is the good Surprise I told you about and your anxiously waiting for……..

I ask the service manager “How about I just come over today and pickup the parts and install them myself”? He said “Sure, no problem, What time?”….. I said “well.... how about now?”. He said “Well im going to lunch now ..... how about in an hour?” So I was at his desk 59 minutes later. LOL. (Im lucky that CW is only 3 miles away from me).

They had all but ONE part (No surprise here). So he was going to reorder that part and let me know later (there goes another 5 mo – But now l will just call him every week or so since I know I can pickup my own parts).

He was very nice (I will say they were always very nice to me during this whole ordeal).

SO If you’re a tinkerer like me - and you have some warrantee (or even some non Warrantee) work to be done AND you know YOU can replace/fix yourself - just Ask for the parts and save yourself the aggravation. I know I will.

It’s really a win win. I get what I want and he don’t have to install the parts. In fact he will probably summit an invoice for the stuff approve by Thor and make money for doing nothing.
Save the middle man - Thor will send you the parts direct to your door! I have done this on a few occasions (Just to ensure job was done right). The are only happy to save the labor (and not have repeat issue)
Old 08-02-2018, 04:32 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Do you make house-calls?
Old 08-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #15

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve70605 View Post
Save the middle man - Thor will send you the parts direct to your door! I have done this on a few occasions (Just to ensure job was done right). The are only happy to save the labor (and not have repeat issue)
Good to know, I will try that route first. Sound like I might have to call Thor direct severl times until you get the rigth person willing to send the parts you need.

Were they non-warrantee parts? I wonder if that makes a difference. So if they know your paying for the parts anyway just mail to you house and charge your credit card.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:46 AM   #16

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Yep. My CW dealer offered my parts to me to install as well. CW is well known for that. I said, "why should I deprive you of doing what you are paid to do." So 12 months later, when they said my cabinet door came in (a year ago was my walk-thru) they hadn't even ordered it..I called Thor to verify it.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #17

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Good to know, I will try that route first. Sound like I might have to call Thor direct severl times until you get the rigth person willing to send the parts you need.

Were they non-warrantee parts? I wonder if that makes a difference. So if they know your paying for the parts anyway just mail to you house and charge your credit card.
I tried to buy something out of warranty and they told me I had to purchase through a dealer........I wont deal with camping world ever again.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #18

State: Florida
THOR #12224
I found out similar and I found out if you call warranty department ( assuming you are still under warranty) they send you the part and promptly. Done this twice now. If you call parts department, they will not ship you a part and tell you to contact a local dealer. Found this out when I called for a part, he said no, I happened to mention, " that sucks because I am still under warranty and did not want to have to deal with the dealer (death before dealers). He said "oh you are under warranty, let me connect you to warranty department.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Quebec
THOR #2688
Is CW your dealer ?? If not why go to them.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:40 PM   #20

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by michbout View Post
Is CW your dealer ?? If not why go to them.
LOL, Most everybody finds that camping world is nothing but a bunch of money grubbing people who dont give a flip about you or your rig once you buy. Just do a search here on camping world and you will see. I dont know if CW is in Canada, if not be on the look out if they ever show up lol
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote