Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2021, 03:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34 B
State: Virginia
THOR #22976
Cargo Limit/CCC for 2008 Hurricane 34B - Thor error??

We're looking at a used 2008 Four Winds Hurricane 34B and we're wondering about the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity).

According to the Specifications Sheet that's affixed to the inside of the bedroom closet the numbers are as follows:

Code:
GVWR			20500
UVW			18068
SCWR	  		  308
CCC		 	 1452
Fresh Water		  591
Propane			   81
CCC, according to the same sheet, is defined as:

Quote:
GVWR minus each of the following:

UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight), full fresh water, full propane weight, and SCWR (Sleeping Capacity Weight Rating)
This being a 34B (bunkhouse) model with sleeping positions for 8 people, why would the specifications reflect only 2 people (based on the 154 lbs limit per person)?

Finally, how reliable are those spec sheets? There is no CAT scale near the seller's location so it would be quite an endeavor to get it weighed.

Old 04-12-2021, 03:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by To Camp View Post
We're looking at a used 2008 Four Winds Hurricane 34B and we're wondering about the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity).

According to the Specifications Sheet that's affixed to the inside of the bedroom closet the numbers are as follows:

Code:
GVWR			20500
UVW			18068
SCWR	  		  308
CCC		 	 1452
Fresh Water		  591
Propane			   81
CCC, according to the same sheet, is defined as:

This being a 34B (bunkhouse) model with sleeping positions for 8 people, why would the specifications reflect only 2 people (based on the 154 lbs limit per person)?

Finally, how reliable are those spec sheets? There is no CAT scale near the seller's location so it would be quite an endeavor to get it weighed.
That is how CCC was defined. Nowadays they use OCCC which puts occupants into the weight.

GVW is set by the chassis manufacturer and is accurate.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:47 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
That spec sheet gives you the driver and front seat passenger. The mfgr does not know how many additional peeps you intend to take with. If they added the weight of 5 or 6 additional people into the spec sheet that would leave everyone wearing the cloths on their back and a box of Cheerios to eat.
Seriously though you don't need to carry anymore fresh water than what is required to flush the toilet while en route to your destination. Weight savings of 400+ lbs. We usually travel with around 10 gallons in the tank and 6 in the hot water heater.
As to the original question that spec sheet is pretty accurate and in our case quite generous defining us at 154 lbs each
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:43 PM   #4

THOR #22976
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
That spec sheet gives you the driver and front seat passenger. The mfgr does not know how many additional peeps you intend to take with. If they added the weight of 5 or 6 additional people into the spec sheet that would leave everyone wearing the cloths on their back and a box of Cheerios to eat.
Seriously though you don't need to carry anymore fresh water than what is required to flush the toilet while en route to your destination. Weight savings of 400+ lbs. We usually travel with around 10 gallons in the tank and 6 in the hot water heater.
As to the original question that spec sheet is pretty accurate and in our case quite generous defining us at 154 lbs each
You are probably right that the two people are the driver and the passenger. However, the sheet clearly states "SCWR" (Sleep Capacity Weight Rating), so unless they assume the driver will fall asleep at the wheel that would seem to refer to berths, if you will.
Even discounting the convertible sleeping positions (dinette & jackknife sofa) the total would still be four (2 for the queen, and one for each of the bunks).

But, it seems the SCWR-numbers are bunk. (there's a pun hidden in there somewhere)

Agreed on the fresh water, but that wouldn't apply to boondocking.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
It seems pretty easy to me:
UVW is just that -unloaded - no water, propane, or people.
Now start adding what you need/want to carry: let's say 30 gallons of water at 7 lbs per gallon (210 lbs) and a full tank of propane at 81 lbs.
Add your driver and passengers, say 350 lbs for 2.

So. UVW - 18068
Needs - 291
Peeps - 350

GVW of 20500 - 18709 leaves 1791 for other "crap" about average for OCCC for MHs.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:00 PM   #6

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It seems pretty easy to me:

UVW is just that -unloaded - no water, propane, or people.

Now start adding what you need/want to carry: let's say 30 gallons of water at 7 lbs per gallon (210 lbs) and a full tank of propane at 81 lbs.

So. UVW - 18068

Needs - 291

Peeps - 350

GVW of 20500 - 18709 leaves 1791 for other "crap" about average for OCCC for MHs.

Just a nit but water weights 8.33 #/gallon so add another 40# to the total. I’m a brewer and know more about water than I really want to. LOL
Old 04-12-2021, 07:51 PM   #7

THOR #22976
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Since it's a bunkhouse that sleeps 8 it would seem that it should be able to accommodate more than 2 people. However, increasing the number of people would quickly bump up (and over) the CCC.

The Hurricane has a pretty big water tank (65 gallons), plus 6 gallons in the water heater. I know Thor says to not drive around with a full tank, but it would be hard to boondock for a week with 6 people taking and bring less than 40-50 gallons.

It's doable, but it gets really tight on the load.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:54 PM   #8

THOR #22976
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
Just a nit but water weights 8.33 #/gallon so add another 40# to the total. I’m a brewer and know more about water than I really want to. LOL
I found that out after I had finished my spreadsheet that includes the weight of the items we want to bring...

When, oh when, will we switch to the metric system? No rounding errors for a liter of water...
Old 04-12-2021, 07:58 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
At least you care about this. So many folks seem to just ignore the chassis limitations and take what fits inside. It is worth your consideration.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:56 PM   #10

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I find that fresh water is the key variable for me. The less fresh water I carry means more beer in the fridge. All kidding aside, carrying the minimum fresh water en-route and empty holding tanks before hitting the road buys you a lot of cargo capacity. You can always top off FW at the last stop before boondocking, and dump at the first stop at the end.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:17 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
I took a different approach when shopping for my last rig - I put a 3500lb OCCC on my “must have” list. There’s just DW and myself so we bring pretty much whatever we want.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:22 AM   #12

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
After having to worry about it with the last two trailers, I did the same. I have a little over 3K OCCC. Plenty for whatever I want to do, even when it's all 5 of us.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:02 AM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I took a different approach when shopping for my last rig - I put a 3500lb OCCC on my “must have” list. There’s just DW and myself so we bring pretty much whatever we want.
Bingo Pete! I am looking at a coach with very similar floor plan as our ACE 27.2 only this one is built on an 18000 lb chassis and the OCCC is more than twice what we have now. I am tired of having to worry about whether we should take an item or not, if DW wants it I want to be able to haul it! Happy wife = Happy life!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:26 AM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Bingo Pete! I am looking at a coach with very similar floor plan as our ACE 27.2 only this one is built on an 18000 lb chassis and the OCCC is more than twice what we have now. I am tired of having to worry about whether we should take an item or not, if DW wants it I want to be able to haul it! Happy wife = Happy life!
Our OCCC is 4863 pounds which is more than we will ever need. Last trip across the scales we were full with everything except grey and black tanks and we were 2900 below GVWR and towing 8600 below GCWR. We have no problems taking what we want.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:43 AM   #15

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Don't forget about fuel. None of the posters above even mentioned it.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:21 PM   #16

THOR #22976
Isn't fuel normally included in the GVWR?
Old 08-12-2021, 07:19 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
Fuel and propane are normally included in the as completed weight and do not need to be considered in OCCC
Old 08-12-2021, 08:01 PM   #18

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
'sleeping' capacity, such that it is, is hardly any concern with dealing with overall weight, since you aren't necessarily carrying 8 fully-grown folks, just because an RV states that it 'might' can 'sleep' that many. People can also sleep on the floor, on the roof, and even on top of each other, so there's no 'way' to calculate what you fear.
The chassis is designed to carry a LOT of weight, but it's not going to suddenly 'break' just because you have 1 pound over the 'limit', or even 1,000 pounds... it's just really engineers giving some type of guidance. The real-world most of the time works very differently, though.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cargo, ccc, scwr, weight