Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Challenger Dash mount radio question

As we look at a new 15 37KT challenger there is a HDMI and USB hookup on the dash and the radio also has a USB. I was told by my sales man that one of these can be used so the radio mirrors my iPhone. This would allow me to use the IPhone nav apps for navigation. Is this true? How does it work (I could not make it work). Any help?

Thanks

KC

Old 08-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I have this on my Chateau 31L. It does require an HDMI adapter for the iPhone. The USB and HDMI plug into the HDMI adapter for the iPhone (or iPad) and then it just mirrors what is on the iDevice. I used my iPad and it worked. Not sure how much use it will be though.

Lightning Digital AV Adapter - Apple
Old 08-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #3

THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
I have this on my Chateau 31L. It does require an HDMI adapter for the iPhone. The USB and HDMI plug into the HDMI adapter for the iPhone (or iPad) and then it just mirrors what is on the iDevice. I used my iPad and it worked. Not sure how much use it will be though.

Lightning Digital AV Adapter - Apple
Thanks, I do have the adapter but we could not make it work. Have you tried it? I was hoping to use the apple navigation or goggle nav apps while driving if that is possible?

KC
Old 08-17-2015, 06:25 PM   #4

THOR #2020
I have made it work. It actually worked as soon as I plugged it in. This is with an Axxera AV614 BH. You might go to the menu and select the icon that looks like the top half of an iPhone. Maybe that would help.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:35 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
We have a 2016 Vegas and on the dash (below and to the right of the radio) is a covered little plug that has the HDMI and USB port one on top of the other. If that is what you have then you will need a Mirroring Cable. It is a special cable for your iPhone that has HDMI and USB plugs on one end and then the other end has a plug that fits into the charger miniUSB port on the iPhone. Get the cable and it works to mirror what is on your phone. You may need to download the Mirroring App for your phone. The USB is used to charge your phone while you are using to mirror onto the Dash Radio.

It will work with an Android Phone (different cable needed because the charging port on the phones are different sizes, at least ours are).

I could not get it to work with my Windows 8.1 Phone as there was no App available last month when I set my wife's phone.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:52 PM   #6

THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
We have a 2016 Vegas and on the dash (below and to the right of the radio) is a covered little plug that has the HDMI and USB port one on top of the other. If that is what you have then you will need a Mirroring Cable. It is a special cable for your iPhone that has HDMI and USB plugs on one end and then the other end has a plug that fits into the charger miniUSB port on the iPhone. Get the cable and it works to mirror what is on your phone. You may need to download the Mirroring App for your phone. The USB is used to charge your phone while you are using to mirror onto the Dash Radio.

It will work with an Android Phone (different cable needed because the charging port on the phones are different sizes, at least ours are).

I could not get it to work with my Windows 8.1 Phone as there was no App available last month when I set my wife's phone.
Thanks, I have found a mirroring app and down loaded it, and it is the same plug set up. Can you use it while driving?

KC
Old 08-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
To tell the truth, have not tried...yet. We have a roadtrip planned for Labor Day weekend and will try then.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #8

THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
To tell the truth, have not tried...yet. We have a roadtrip planned for Labor Day weekend and will try then.
Thanks
Old 08-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #9

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Thanks, I have found a mirroring app and down loaded it, and it is the same plug set up. Can you use it while driving?

KC
I did not need a mirroring app. I just plugged it in and it worked immediately. And my wife was driving at the time so yes, you can use it while driving. I was using it with an iPad with the latest iOS.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:32 PM   #10

THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
I did not need a mirroring app. I just plugged it in and it worked immediately. And my wife was driving at the time so yes, you can use it while driving. I was using it with an iPad with the latest iOS.
Great news, did you plug into the HDMI plug?

KC
Old 08-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #11

THOR #2020
Yes. One for the HDMI and one for the USB. The USB just keeps it charged.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #12

THOR #2020
Here is a photo of the setup. Also shows the small screen on the radio display. I tried to use this with a GPS app and everything was so small as to make it unreadable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1017.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	819  
Old 09-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Works the same as plugging an iPhone or iPad into the HDMI port on a television.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:45 PM   #14

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Works the same as plugging an iPhone or iPad into the HDMI port on a television.
Exactly. I don't have to change any settings on the radio. I just plug it in. I'm not sure if this was the same thread or not but I had said I would post a photo of the setup.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #15

THOR #2628
What Phone/pad are you using and what software version are you using?

Thanks KC
Old 09-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #16

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
When mirroring from an android phone, if you are using google maps and have the GPS location energized on the phone -- you need both the HDMI and USB connected to the ports in the dash. The HDMI is the line/connector that sends the mirroring signals to the radio. The USB is going to keep your android phone charged -- my phone is a power hog when I have my GPS and Google Maps operating.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #17

THOR #2628
How about iPhone (I have 6+) and iPad. Both have OS9 but we left my wifes IPad mini with OS8.

KC
Old 09-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #18

THOR #2020
My iPad is on iOS 8. It is an iPad 2. I don't have the Lighting AV connector for my iPhone yet although I do plan to get. I probably won't hook it up to the dash but like to be able to download films and hook them up via HDMI to the TV. I don't buy DVDs anymore and I might as well take advantage of the 128 GB on the iPhone 6+.