Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
pilot - one more data point from us. We've driven just over 60k miles in our Challenger, most of those miles pulling our 2013 Ford Explorer. Those trips have been through virtually all of the lower 48 states. That includes mountains in the Appalachian, Rockys, Sierra Nevada ranges. The V10 Challenger has been equal to the task in all cases. The 2 toughest pulls were Route 16 westbound out of Buffalo heading to Ten Sleep in Wyoming. The 2nd was pulling out of Salt Lake City eastbound in I80. That slope seemed to go on forever. When not sprinting up either of those, made it each time.

So - towing is not an issue.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:58 AM   #42

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Thanks. I'm still trying to get benefits from VA. The forms are not easy to work with and unable to get any assistance. Once when we visited Key West it was packed, and in a Explorer it was difficult to avoid hitting someone so I can imagine it a F350. Thanks for your help. Good luck and have a very Happy Holiday Season.
No problem ! Hope you had a MERRY CHRISTMAS!
I started with my country VA Rep. Here in NC each county has a VA Representative.
They helped me fill out all the required paperwork, most of which they did, some I had to complete. It took a year, and a half to hear from them, I had almost forgotten I had applied. They set up a physical, then it was another couple of months, I got a packet of paper work in the mail, stating the VA had assigned me a 70% Disability rating. That gave me full access to all medical benefits, but Dental. A year later I got a notice of revaluation, went to that, a month later I was notified I was being increased to 100 % disability rating, which then gave me Dental.
Feel free to message me, if I can be of any assistance, or encouragement in your application to get into the VA. It's been a life changer for me, and my wife.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:10 AM   #43

THOR #11321
Quote:
Thanks, My main concern is the towing issue. It helps knowing the experience others have actually had towing various vehicles. Looking more and ore like my wife is pushing for the Challenger. Will check out sound proofing for the engine compartment. Now watching post to see what 3rd party suspension parts are most advisable.
Pilot if you go with the Challenger, or any of them for that matter, I would suggest getting a Alignment done before you spend another dime on aftermarket suspension parts. I had our 37TB aligned and it went from White Knuckle, constant steering imputs, to tracking straight down the lane HANDS OFF ! Overtaking, passing traffic are barely noticeable ! I do still plan on adding a Steering Stabilizer for safety in a front blow out.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:27 AM   #44

Brand: Still Looking
State: Indiana
THOR #6252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
Pilot if you go with the Challenger, or any of them for that matter, I would suggest getting a Alignment done before you spend another dime on aftermarket suspension parts. I had our 37TB aligned and it went from White Knuckle, constant steering imputs, to tracking straight down the lane HANDS OFF ! Overtaking, passing traffic are barely noticeable ! I do still plan on adding a Steering Stabilizer for safety in a front blow out.
Do dealers do alignments, or, are there specialty shops that do MH alignments. I've never seen a shop with large enough facilities for a MH. This will all be new to me.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #45

THOR #6252
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
pilot - one more data point from us. We've driven just over 60k miles in our Challenger, most of those miles pulling our 2013 Ford Explorer. Those trips have been through virtually all of the lower 48 states. That includes mountains in the Appalachian, Rockys, Sierra Nevada ranges. The V10 Challenger has been equal to the task in all cases. The 2 toughest pulls were Route 16 westbound out of Buffalo heading to Ten Sleep in Wyoming. The 2nd was pulling out of Salt Lake City eastbound in I80. That slope seemed to go on forever. When not sprinting up either of those, made it each time.

So - towing is not an issue.

Wow, thanks for the reply. Happy to see the Challenger can tow such a heavy dinghy up those steep grades. Very useful information. You have gone along way to assuage my concerns about the Challenger gasser.

Never forget.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #46
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Do dealers do alignments, or, are there specialty shops that do MH alignments. I've never seen a shop with large enough facilities for a MH. This will all be new to me.
Some Ford dealers can work on motorhomes but not all you have to call around.

In addition commercial truck places can as well. We took our Axis to a Goodyear Commercial Tire shop for our alignment.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:21 AM   #47

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Iowa
THOR #13643
In 2015 we purchased a 2014 37GT. Test drive was awful...Severe shimmy & way out of alignment. Our dealer took it into a large tire dealer, put two new Michelins on & had it realigned. For three years now it operates straight and true.

Haven't needed any stabilizing add-ons to this point. The previous owner was a dope for driving it that way, and the dealer should have driven it before trading for it.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Ltd
FMCA #455220
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:39 AM   #48

THOR #11321
Quote:
We had our Challenger Alignment done at a local Heavy Truck Tire and suspension shop called Snider Fleet Solutions, in Hickory, NC . I believe they locations in other Cities, and States ! I felt comfortable with them doing this service, as they asked several questions when I called to set up the appointment, about the make, model, then verified it was on the F-53 chassis, length, gross weight, etc.
I was there about 2 hours total, about 1 1/2 hr was the actual time in the shop !
I believe it cost $165 which was money well spent, as I to, was prepared to purchase aftermarket parts to improve the handling .
I could tell a difference as I pulled out of the shops lot, it just felt tighter, more precise.
When I got on I-40 I was amazed, at the, difference ! No constant steering imputs, no wandering, it would track straight, Hands Off !
In my Opinion that should be one of, if not the first trip for a new Motorhome, of any class, size. Not only may it preclude the need for expensive suspension, steering enhancements, but will help get more even tire wear, and prevent premature wear to steering components.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:15 PM   #49

THOR #11321
Quote:
We had our Challenger Alignment done at a local Heavy Truck Tire and suspension shop called Snider Fleet Solutions, in Hickory, NC . I believe they locations in other Cities, and States ! I felt comfortable with them doing this service, as they asked several questions when I called to set up the appointment, about the make, model, then verified it was on the F-53 chassis, length, gross weight, etc.
I was there about 2 hours total, about 1 1/2 hr was the actual time in the shop !
I believe it cost $165 which was money well spent, as I to, was prepared to purchase aftermarket parts to improve the handling .
I could tell a difference as I pulled out of the shops lot, it just felt tighter, more precise.
When I got on I-40 I was amazed, at the, difference ! No constant steering imputs, no wandering, it would track straight, Hands Off !
In my Opinion that should be one of, if not the first trip for a new Motorhome, of any class, size. Not only may it preclude the need for expensive suspension, steering enhancements, but will help get more even tire wear, and prevent premature wear to steering components.
https://sniderfleet.com/
This is where we had our Alligned to done.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #50

THOR #6252
Quote:
https://sniderfleet.com/
This is where we had our Alligned to done.

Thanks for the info, checked the web sire but none near where I live. However, it was most interesting hearing about how the alignment helped the driveability of the Challenger.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:03 PM   #51

THOR #11321
Quote:
Thanks for the info, checked the web sire but none near where I live. However, it was most interesting hearing about how the alignment helped the driveability of the Challenger.
I'm sure there are other Heavy Truck Tire/Alignments Shops in your area.
I intentionally looked for a Heavy Truck Alignment shop, because I knew they should have the equipment, and parts if needed.
My local Ford dealership has Truck service bays, and I get my oil changed there.
Check with your local Ford Dealership to see if they are equipped to do service on your RV.