Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2016, 12:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Georgia
THOR #5536
Challenger Warranty

We will take possession this coming weekend. DW and I have already started trying to figure out if we need the extended warranty. Do we do it? What term? Seemed like you could get the Platinum Coverage for about $4k for 6yrs 50k miles or $7k for 7yrs 100k miles. Thoughts? We've had a warranty before on one of trailers and have never used it. This is our first coach and not really knowing which way to go or decline it all together. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:17 PM   #2

THOR #5536
Challenger Warranty

Bumping up..
Any one have any thoughts or advise?
Old 09-28-2016, 01:00 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Just answered another thread with my extended warranty experience...
Whether to do it or not - you will find opinions on both sides.

To me - comes down to the risk you are willing to take. With this big an investment - I wanted some protection financially.

As for which one - the plans they offer at sale are paid upfront... If you are buying new - you have a one year full warrantly - and longer on the chassis/powertrain. You can always add an aftermarket warranty later - paying by the month (rather than upfront) - based on your first years experience with the RV.

Choices... choices...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:35 AM   #4

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
You just have to look at it like an ordinary insurance policy I guess. There are numerous items on these coaches that would be rather expensive to replace, for example the frig, air conditioners, gen set, etc...

One bad thing about buying the extended coverage on a new unit is that it starts running right then. So the $4k for 6yrs 50k miles warranty would actually be for 5yrs minus whatever miles you put on that first year. So like gmc said, you could always buy one after seeing how the first year goes.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:55 AM   #5

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I purchased extended warranties on two different RV's over the years, both with Good Sam. Used it only once when the braking system on a 12 year old class C failed. Good Sam covered it with no issue. The other time was also with a class C that was only 2 years old and never used the warranty so threw away $2K. As I mentioned in the other thread, as long as the chassis has its factory warranty (3 years), I have no plans to buy an extended RV plan. Most appliances in an RV have separate warranties from the manufacturer and in some cases, its more than the one year standard bumper to bumper warranty from Thor. For example, the roof has a 12 year manufacturer warranty. If peace of mind is critical to you, an extended warranty can provide some comfort.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #6

THOR #5536
Yep.. I just can't decide. On one hand I get something really bad could happen but on the other hand how much stuff would in reality break after the first year in the first 50k miles. I would assume not $4k worth of stuff. Decisions decisions...
Old 09-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Had the extended warranty on my prior class C and used it one time to replace the Dometic refrigerator doors when they wouldn't lock closed. Cost me 100.00 for a 600.00 repair. When I traded that coach in after 3 years I got a refund on the remainder of the extended warranty. The warranty cost approx 4k and the refund I received was 3268.00.

My current extended warranty was more expensive, has a longer term and better coverage to include unlimited towing, trip interruption, and rental reimbursement. I also have a reduced deductible if I take it back to the selling dealer.

Some things to keep in mind:

If the extended warranty is not purchased at the time of purchasing the RV some warranties require a "cooling off" period and/or inspection requirement. In this case you would have to take the rig in to be inspected by a dealer and then repairs would not be covered for a certain number of days and/or miles.

For me the extended warranty is more for the wife's peace of mind than anything.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #8

THOR #5536
I think I would either buy one now or not at all. I know about the inspection and all that mess if I wanted it later. I would also assume it's cheaper now too.

Here's another VAGUE question. How many miles does an average family put on a coach in a year? I was trying to guess how many trips and how far we would go. I thought that we would be less than 10,000 a year as we don't go too far out of the southeast and live close to Atlanta. Most everything we do is 200 to 300 miles from us. I was thinking at one point to go all out for the 7yr 100,000 mile but I can't see us even coming close to that mileage in 7 years. That's when I started to lean towards the 6yr 50,000 mile one.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold
How many miles does an average family put on a coach in a year?
That is a pretty open ended question and really depends on where you are in life? Are you still working, only go for weekend trips, or are you more flexible and go all over the place?

For us: We both work and our son is just starting High School. This means a few weekend trips with one long trip during the summer. Our 2014 Axis has about 9500 miles on it so far after the 3 seasons we've had it (which includes trips to the "bottom" of FL, the "top" of MI, DC, and STL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I purchased an extended warranty once, and won't again. Yes, something could need repair that I will have to pay for. If you can't budget for some eventual repairs, it might make sense for you. If you have a higher end RV with complex systems, it might be a good value. If you abuse your coach, or if you are a full timer using your coach every day of the year, it might be a necessity.

Yes, there are owners who have saved money with those warranties, but many more who wrote it off as peace of mind expense. Those companies make huge profits selling you those policies, and so does the F&I person at the dealership.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #11

THOR #5536
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That is a pretty open ended question and really depends on where you are in life? Are you still working, only go for weekend trips, or are you more flexible and go all over the place?

For us: We both work and our son is just starting High School. This means a few weekend trips with one long trip during the summer. Our 2014 Axis has about 9500 miles on it so far after the 3 seasons we've had it (which includes trips to the "bottom" of FL, the "top" of MI, DC, and STL).

I know it's open and vague, but figured to see what other people experience. Married.. still working.. 2 kids. 2.5 yrs and 6months.. Did I mention I'll be still working for a WHILE .

I think it's a once a month trip for us and a couple longer trips. I couldn't see us driving more than 8,000 to 10,000 a year for a while.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #12

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold View Post
We will take possession this coming weekend. DW and I have already started trying to figure out if we need the extended warranty. Do we do it? What term? Seemed like you could get the Platinum Coverage for about $4k for 6yrs 50k miles or $7k for 7yrs 100k miles. Thoughts? We've had a warranty before on one of trailers and have never used it. This is our first coach and not really knowing which way to go or decline it all together. Any input would be appreciated.

Also as a reminder-----it is not a warranty---it is an extended service contract--like that commercial on TV---read the blah blah blah to what would be covered if you needed it if you decide to get coverage from anyone! the appliances and other components have their own warranty...the chassis has its own warranty.....so service is service- not sure I would pay up front after the first year either to have a service contract unless everything under the sun was "covered"! LOL
Old 09-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #13

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold View Post
Here's another VAGUE question. How many miles does an average family put on a coach in a year? I was trying to guess how many trips and how far we would go. I thought that we would be less than 10,000 a year as we don't go too far out of the southeast and live close to Atlanta. Most everything we do is 200 to 300 miles from us. I was thinking at one point to go all out for the 7yr 100,000 mile but I can't see us even coming close to that mileage in 7 years. That's when I started to lean towards the 6yr 50,000 mile one.
We are on the opposite end of the RV cycle from you. We are retired and have 12 grandkids ages 17 to 2 years. When we were full time we traveled for about 7 months and stayed in SW Florida for 5 months. We averaged just under 20,000 miles. Currently with a home in Florida and just some summer traveling and maybe a couple shorter trips around Florida in the winter we are staying under 8,000.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote