Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Credit Union is who we use for the few times we finance anything big. We paid cash...not sure if that was smart or not...but it feels good for the times it just sits out there not getting used.
Paying cash is an option, but I'll be in the toy aisle at WalMart!

Old 05-08-2019, 10:17 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
We have used our Credit Union in the past for a few purchases but we had much better interest rates through our bank on our MH. Just shop interest rates and conditions and pick the one that's right for you.

Many years ago I sold Mobile Homes for a while. I made more money on the spiff from the insurance policies I sold and the kick back from the banks than I did on the mobile homes. Also got spiffs from parks for directing the buyers to them for rental space. The salesman will try to tell you he isn't making any money on the deal. Don't believe him for a second.

Good luck and happy shopping. and keep us updated on your search.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:54 PM   #43

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
We have used our Credit Union in the past for a few purchases but we had much better interest rates through our bank on our MH. Just shop interest rates and conditions and pick the one that's right for you.

Many years ago I sold Mobile Homes for a while. I made more money on the spiff from the insurance policies I sold and the kick back from the banks than I did on the mobile homes. Also got spiffs from parks for directing the buyers to them for rental space. The salesman will try to tell you he isn't making any money on the deal. Don't believe him for a second.

Good luck and happy shopping. and keep us updated on your search.
Good info.

Thank you!
Old 05-08-2019, 11:52 PM   #44
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Told me what???
Told you to look at the 24.1 right here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f3/...tml#post177998
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:54 PM   #45

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Told you to look at the 24.1 right here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f3/...tml#post177998
HA! I had forgotten that! Information overload!!! I bow to thee.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:20 AM   #46

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Sometimes you’ll get a lower interest rate at the dealer because they can bring a lot of business to the lenders. I’d sure see what rate they can find for you. And also since they make money on service contracts and loans you sometimes can get a better price on the coach itself. On my Freedom Elite I got the price as low as I could with getting up to leave a few times. Then I asked about a service contract and I got the price about $1000 lower. I canceled the service agreement after a year. Next time I’d cancel within 30 days for a 100% refund. It’s not very nice but it works....
Old 05-09-2019, 02:21 AM   #47

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
I have searched. And searched. I can find hard shell cargo boxes, but none for bikes.
There are pricey options that may accomplish what you need. The Let Go Aero Gear Space 34 is one option I looked at years ago.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2019, 02:25 AM   #48

THOR #2121
Another that looks simpler, roomier, and maybe stronger is a big box that pivots. This design may be large enough for our small tandem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	606EFA53-72C0-4E25-A090-F178ECF904B4.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	17240  
Old 05-09-2019, 02:31 AM   #49

THOR #2121
From a different angle. The problem I have with all these options is that they add a lot of length to RV, so why not buy longer RV with bike garage? That way rest of added length isn’t wasted. Unfortunately, not many options in US.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	512F8257-6072-4248-8BDC-CCAF15DED9B5.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	665.3 KB
ID:	17242  
Old 05-09-2019, 03:19 AM   #50

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
PDI=Pre-Delivery Inspection. Something they are required by Thor to do...at no additional fee. All these reason are why you request a copy of a final, priced out Buyer's Order including every charge before you ever go in. then just sit there with the checkbook and a Glock, shaking your head no-no-no-no-no-no. If you're financing through them, you can expect the "Hot Lights". Make those arrangements before you go in also, if you have that option.
Glock - never thought of that. What a great idea!
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #51

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
We have a 2016 24.1. The first year we considered going bigger. Now approaching 3 years we are very happy.

The longest we have lived in it was 2=1/2 weeks at a time.

We bought purposely to tow drag car trailer. The longer wheelbase helps it tow great.

Benefits we did not really consider at purchase was easy to pull in almost anywhere, no issue with gas stations and floorplan usable with slide in.

The simple utility is impressive, check everything at 90 day intervals, gas and go.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #52

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
From a different angle. The problem I have with all these options is that they add a lot of length to RV, so why not buy longer RV with bike garage? That way rest of added length isn’t wasted. Unfortunately, not many options in US.
Yes, these three are exactly what I was talking about! I wasn't able to find them doing ANY kind of a search and my LBS even told me that he didn't know of any that existed! I knew SOMEONE had to have made one. Thanks for the pics. You are right, though; they may be so pricey that it's simply not worth it. But, at least I have that option.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #53

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Sometimes you’ll get a lower interest rate at the dealer because they can bring a lot of business to the lenders. I’d sure see what rate they can find for you. And also since they make money on service contracts and loans you sometimes can get a better price on the coach itself. On my Freedom Elite I got the price as low as I could with getting up to leave a few times. Then I asked about a service contract and I got the price about $1000 lower. I canceled the service agreement after a year. Next time I’d cancel within 30 days for a 100% refund. It’s not very nice but it works....
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind!
Old 05-09-2019, 08:41 PM   #54

THOR #2121
Quote:
Yes, these three are exactly what I was talking about! I wasn't able to find them doing ANY kind of a search and my LBS even told me that he didn't know of any that existed! I knew SOMEONE had to have made one. Thanks for the pics. You are right, though; they may be so pricey that it's simply not worth it. But, at least I have that option.
Yeah, we came to the conclusion that it was cheaper to buy a couple of beater bikes, or ride old ones we didn't care about, than buy an add-on bike garage.

I would still love to see Thor or other RV manufacturers offer floorplans with rear bike garages on smaller motorhomes. Thor has had some motorhomes with rear garages, but I personally think their marketing got it all wrong. The few they’ve produced were fairly large motorhomes, and I expect the need for bikes is greater on smaller motorhomes like Axis/Vegas.

I know I sound like a broken record, but think Thor does read these forums once in a while. If so, they should offer an Axis 24.1 or similar floorplan designed for and marketed to active travelers. A bike garage under the beds like on most of their Hymers would be a great option to have. It would be so simple and inexpensive to build that it seems almost inexcusable that they don’t offer such a floorplan.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:31 PM   #55
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Those rigs for designed for hauling more than just bicycles...
Motorcycles, golf-carts, even the smallest cars: these all quickly come to mind...

But yes: they will easily haul bicycles also!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #56

THOR #2121
Bob, I wasn’t referring to toy haulers designed for larger items. I was referring to the few Thor motorhomes that have been built with rear garages sized for bicycles or smaller items.

The Hurricane 30Q or Damon Avanti 3106 from around 2012 or back are examples. I think most people who like cycling are not as likely to want large or expensive RVs. In my opinion these kinds of bicycle garages are a better fit on compact and cheaper motorhomes.

Garages (not toy haulers) have been discussed before. Maybe now that Thor purchased Hymer they will bring some back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A967BA6B-A790-45DE-A79D-FFA8144707DD.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	17274  
Old 05-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #57

THOR #2121
Quote:
.......cut......We thought for sure that the 25V was the direction we were going, but we really were concerned with the lack of functionality of the cab seats, which left only the dinette for seating in the living space. The cab seats are basically used for driving and that's it. They serve very little purpose once parked. ......cut.....
Thor manufacturers some Ford E-Series Class Cs with swivel captains chairs. A lot depends on floorplan since there has to be room for legs and feet if facing backwards. The 25V looks like a good fit for swivel chairs, so I’m surprised they are not included unless it’s to keep cost down. When purchased aftermarket the two swivels could run about $500 or so.

Anyway, if you like the 25V better except for the seats, I’d ask to see if Thor can install the swivels as an option. Or maybe the dealer can do it. Just a thought.

I haven’t seen a 25V in person but like some features of a Class C better than the Axis 24.1. Lower cost is a plus also.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #58

THOR #15054
Quote:
Thor manufacturers some Ford E-Series Class Cs with swivel captains chairs. A lot depends on floorplan since there has to be room for legs and feet if facing backwards. The 25V looks like a good fit for swivel chairs, so I’m surprised they are not included unless it’s to keep cost down. When purchased aftermarket the two swivels could run about $500 or so.

Anyway, if you like the 25V better except for the seats, I’d ask to see if Thor can install the swivels as an option. Or maybe the dealer can do it. Just a thought.

I haven’t seen a 25V in person but like some features of a Class C better than the Axis 24.1. Lower cost is a plus also.
Actually, we like almost everything on the 24.1 as much or more than the 25V, EXCEPT for the cost! It will probably be 12-15K more, when it's all said and done but the difference in the way it felt on the inside was night and day. Plus, the multiplex wiring was really impressive. Not available on the 25V. We literally had over a dozen things that we wrote down where the 24.1 had the advantage over the 25V; cost, and a slightly better storage down below, were the only ones for the 25V.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #59

THOR #15054
Quote:
Bob, I wasn’t referring to toy haulers designed for larger items. I was referring to the few Thor motorhomes that have been built with rear garages sized for bicycles or smaller items.

The Hurricane 30Q or Damon Avanti 3106 from around 2012 or back are examples. I think most people who like cycling are not as likely to want large or expensive RVs. In my opinion these kinds of bicycle garages are a better fit on compact and cheaper motorhomes.

Garages (not toy haulers) have been discussed before. Maybe now that Thor purchased Hymer they will bring some back.
I could not agree more. I think the RV manufacturers are just like auto manufacturers: they seem to be scared to death of niche markets. They design a really cool small truck or SUV, but they won't bring it to market because it can't tow 5000 pounds! That's not who it was built for!!! The RV manufacturers seem scared to build something like this, something that one or two very active individuals would absolutely go bonkers over. The only thing that I've seen with anything close to a bike garage like this is on the Unity Wonder RTB, which unfortunately will sell for around $130K. That's going to price a whole lot of people right out of that market.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #60

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Demand dictates Supply...period, in all products. It has nothing to do with the manufacturer "missing something".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote