Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Windsport 35c
State: Michigan
THOR #2635
Charging house batteries

I have a 2016 Thor Windsport 35c. Normally I'm plugged into a 50 amp service on the road and in my storage facility. While plugged into this service house batteries stay charged in the 13.3 range. Occasionally I bring the unit to my home where it may be unplugged for a number of days or when plugged in it is to a 30 amp service. When this happens the reading goes to 11.1 with the battery disconnect switch on. When researching this with Thor service and my local Rv service center I'm getting two different opinions. Thor says there should be a trickle charge happening when plugged into either a 30 or 50 amp service. Locally I'm told a 30 amp service will not charge the house batteries and I need to add a separate trickle charger to keep them charged.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks

Old 07-15-2017, 02:31 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
With the coach plugged into 30 amp shore power and the Use/store in the Use position, the converter/charger should charge both the house and chassis batteries simultaneously. At both batteries, you should be reading abou 13.1 if the batteries are fully charged (trickle charge) about 13.5 if they are partially discharged and around 14.1 if they are discharged below 50% or so. If it is unplugged at your house for a number of days, the batteries will slowly discharge down to your 11.1v. How quickly depends on the parasitic load in your coach, the condition of the batteries and the charge when you start. Even then however, when you plug in, the house batteries should almost immediate show between 14.1 - 13.5v. It should make no difference if you are plugged into 50 or 30 amp, unless you are running multiple AC units and stuff.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
What Thor told you is correct. My Vegas does not have a 50 Amp service. Mine is 30 Amp. When plugged in to a 30 Amp shore power and with my USE/STORE switch in USE, the converter keeps the house batteries charged. With the converter running you should not need a trickle charger connected. If the RV was wired correctly and everything is working correctly the converter should keep the house batteries AND the chassis battery fully charged.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #4

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
If everything is working correctly at the storage center and not at your house, I would suspect the 30 amp circuit in your house or maybe the adapter you may be using to go from. 50 amp plug to the 30 amp receptor at your house.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Shouldn't make any difference, 15/30/50 amp should all charge your batteries. I only have 15 amp at my house and batteries stay charged.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #6

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Shouldn't make any difference, 15/30/50 amp should all charge your batteries. I only have 15 amp at my house and batteries stay charged.

Ditto
Old 07-15-2017, 03:45 PM   #7

Model: Winnebago Navion
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2698
Same here as superD. I only have 15 amp and converter keeps the batteries fully charged as well.
2022 Winnebago Navion
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #8

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
It is possible the 50 to 30 adapter is bad. 50 amp service feeds the coach with two separate 120 feeds. The adapter is suppose to tie both feeds into one. Your adapter might just be feeding one of the legs not both Thus not powering the leg that the charger is on.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
It is possible the 50 to 30 adapter is bad. 50 amp service feeds the coach with two separate 120 feeds. The adapter is suppose to tie both feeds into one. Your adapter might just be feeding one of the legs not both Thus not powering the leg that the charger is on.
It's possible.

It's also possible he may not be using an adaptor at all when plugged at home. He did not say how he is plugging in, so we can't assume anything. For all we know it may be a 50-Amp plug with only one leg that is powered.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
House batteries should be charged by any other source engine, genny, or any type of shore power. Now if you are maxing things out it might not stay very high but should not get in the 11 range. If you are going to be completely unplugged for a few weeks I would put the disconnect switch in store because there will be a small drain on your batteries even if you don't have anything on.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:48 PM   #11

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
If your 50 to 30 adapter is working correctly, every 110 circuit should be powered. They are just powered off of a single 30 amp supply so you cannot run everything at once. The 12v power supply should charge the batteries just the same way it does when plugged in to a 50 amp plug or genny supplied power.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #12

Model: Thor Windsport 35c
State: Michigan
THOR #2635
Thanks to all for your input. I will check my 50-30 adapter to see if that is the issue.