Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
Lin

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Arkansas
THOR #7667
Chassis Electrical Ideas

Returning from an extended vacation last fall, in our 2015 Palazzo, we started to encounter some electrical issues with the chassis. First problem was Dash AC stopped blowing air. Then we lost the small Fans over the windshield, windshield wipers were next followed by the remote mirrors. After getting home discovered the Jacks were also not coming on. Essentially any control on the Dash quit working - we do have headlights. Took it to Camping World, who have been great in the past, and they diagnosed a Chassis Ground issue that they do not work on chassis issues. I've since talked to 4 different RV shops looking for help with no luck. Before taking to a Diesel Truck Shop anyone have else have an issue like this?

Old 02-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Any stereo installation shop can do it easily, inexpensively, fast.
It took a shop about three minutes to find a blown fuse amongst the hundred or so fuses from three different entities on my 24.1.
No book, no internet, just quickly found the problem and cured it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
Lin

THOR #7667
If that is the case where can I look to fix it myself?
Old 02-10-2020, 05:38 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
If that is the case where can I look to fix it myself?
You can't.
A professional shop with 50,000 hours of experience is worth the 100 bucks they'll charge you (mine was 20 bucks, he asked for 10, I gave him 20).

It's one of those:
'if you ask how, you're not capable' questions.

Pay a professional.

They laughed when I told them
'I'm smart enough to do this, which makes me smart enough to have you do it'

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #5

Model: Aria 3401
THOR #12542
Assuming you have a Freightliner chassis, I'm curious about why you are looking for an RV shop instead of a Freightliner Oasis shop to fix a chassis problem?
Old 02-10-2020, 07:28 PM   #6

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
Returning from an extended vacation last fall, in our 2015 Palazzo, we started to encounter some electrical issues with the chassis. First problem was Dash AC stopped blowing air. Then we lost the small Fans over the windshield, windshield wipers were next followed by the remote mirrors. After getting home discovered the Jacks were also not coming on. Essentially any control on the Dash quit working - we do have headlights. Took it to Camping World, who have been great in the past, and they diagnosed a Chassis Ground issue that they do not work on chassis issues. I've since talked to 4 different RV shops looking for help with no luck. Before taking to a Diesel Truck Shop anyone have else have an issue like this?

have you called f/l 800 number to discuss your issue?

the dash are harness that plugs into the main chassis harness is known for not being secured properly in the connection. it has to snap and lock. most are just connected and not locked, so they work intermittently
. my damon had the exact same issue, as many others.
try looking at the harness on drivers side under dash .

hope it helps
Old 02-11-2020, 11:34 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
a 'ground' issue can certainly be the cause of these problems, all related to the 12v Chassis fuse panel, located in your driver side front compartment, mounted on the wall, with a black cover velcroed on it.... remove it and see if there are any 'red lights' showing issues with certain fuses.

All of the issues you mention have to do with 'after marker' installation of chassis-related items from the factory, not from Freightliner. This special 'fuse panel' is the source for all of these powered items. Thor send me a replacement fuse panel when I started having issues with several RELAYS showing a red light, possibly that they were'nt working properly, and a windshield wiper fuse that kept popping. It's only a few 'battery cable' connections to replace it.

You might want to check the main connections on this fuse panel and make sure all are tight and well seated.

If dealers can't help you, then either the factory service center in Wakarusa Indiana can, or possibly the Freightliner OASIS Service center in Gaffney, SC, where these chassis' are originally built - although it's not really 'their' build issue, but one from Thor's facility.

Trace the ground wire(s) and see what you can find. You may can do this yourself, if the fuse panel itself is not the issue.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:57 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Because multiple devices are affected, I suspect that CW correctly diagnosed the problem. Unless you have a bad wiring harness with multiple shorts, I don't think you will find bad fuses. Look for a loose wire(s) or loose braided cable connections connected to metal parts. Many vehicles nowadays do not have electrical connectivity between the battery or main vehicle ground and devices, separate ground conductors need to be used. Wooden and fiberglass boats have the same situation.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:21 AM   #9
Lin

THOR #7667
Talking Closing the problem

Not having a known Freightliner Shop, or Thor Dealer, within 3 hours I was hoping there were some ideas on where I could look.

Eventually found a brand new Freightliner shop within an hour and they found a couple of issues. Power Seat was a broken wire at the terminal connector for the fuse panel. The rest of the 12V issues were not getting power from the Battery. During the build process that bunch of wires was tie wrapped inside the battery compartment and tied off too tightly near the Battery. Over time they vibrated enough that they became loose and detached from the battery connecter. The connections were soldered and tie wrapped with a bit more slack.

The Rig heads back to the race track in 2 weeks...
Old 03-03-2020, 12:45 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Thanks for adding the findings of your issue. Should help many of us where to look. Safe Travels!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v chasssis, chassis electrics