Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation Sprinter 24sa
State: Florida
THOR #13813
Chateau Citation Sprinter Battery Isolator ?

I'm still learning about my Chateau Citation Sprinter 24SA. I have come to find out yesterday that Sprinter based Citations do not have a Battery Isolator. The engine will not charge the coach batteries. I verified this with Thor customer support. Mercedes will not let them install an isolator. Have anyone added there own isolator? Also will the current coach battery charge system support AMG 100ah batteries?

Old 12-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejohn2317 View Post
I'm still learning about my Chateau Citation Sprinter 24SA. I have come to find out yesterday that Sprinter based Citations do not have a Battery Isolator. The engine will not charge the coach batteries. I verified this with Thor customer support. Mercedes will not let them install an isolator. Have anyone added there own isolator? Also will the current coach battery charge system support AMG 100ah batteries?
And the house converter will not charge the truck battery
Old 12-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #3

Model: Citation Sprinter 24sa
THOR #13813
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
And the house converter will not charge the truck battery
Thank you I understand that. I was just wondering if anybody has added a battery isolator so that the house batteries can be charged while you're driving. seems like a simple enough thing to do but for some reason Mercedes will not allow Thor to do it
Old 12-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
probably because MERC is wary that this would draw down the Chassis batteries, possibly causing problems with the vehicle. Since it's MERC's warranty on the chassis, they don't want second-hand warranty issues to deal with.

having said that - I suppose an owner can do whatever modifications they want, if adding a BIRD and a 12v DC continuos coil is your desire. Another limiting factor might be the size and output of the Alternator itself. It may not be designed to handle additional loads as larger powertrains might.

What about a 100w solar panel on the roof? $150-$200 or so, and might be a lot cheaper and easier.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #5

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejohn2317 View Post

I have a 2017 Citation 24SR and it absolutely does charge it. Do you put the switch in "use"? I also talked to Mercedes about it charging lithium batteries if I upgraded and that I need would to change/add something for it to work.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Turner hit the nail on the head...the alternator is the weak link. It doesn't matter what you install if the alternator can't put out enough. MB doesn't know what the end-user will do with the power supplied so the fail safe method is not to authorize it. I was amazed to learn how closely the chassis suppliers work with Thor to synchronize the chassis to the coach's needs. Ford actually makes multiple visits to Thor during the assembly process, inspecting frame modifications and the "connection" of chassis to body, making sure nothing they do will affect Ford's Warranty to the end user.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
my 2018 Thor Chateau sprinter charges my house bank perfectly. On mine there is a relay under the drivers seat and it switches when the starting battery reaches a certain voltage. Which is usually 5-10 seconds after starting the engine. I installed a switch and wiring to jump this manually to charge the starting battery incase the starting battery is dead. once every couple of weeks I switch it on to charge the starting battery from my solar charged house bank.