Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2016, 03:02 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #3613
Chateau Owner Reviews

I would like to know if anyone here owns NEW 2016 THOR MOTOR COACH Chateau or previous 2 year model. What are your reviews? Any specific issues?

- I tried searching this model but no luck. Hopefully, it is not a re-post.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Radnee,

You may also want to ask about the Four Winds. The Chateau and Four Winds are a similar concept to the Axis and Vega. They are basically the same coach with minor differences such as colors, trim packages. Thor and other manufacturers do this so dealers in the same geographic location can sell different models.

For example if you pull the floor plans for the Chateau and Four Winds 26A you will see they are identical, however, the colors and trim packages are different.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:36 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SF
THOR #2020
We purchased a 2016 Chateau 31L in July, 2015. To date, we have had a few minor issues that were corrected by our dealer in a timely manner. If fact, when we took it in they even found an item that we had not noticed. We are quite pleased with it. Is it perfect? No, but for the price we are quite happy.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:27 PM   #4

THOR #3613
What is your average gas mileage? Do you have the ford E350/450 or Chevy 4500 engine?
Old 02-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 35SF
THOR #2020
Average is 7.5 (but we only have 1700 miles to date). It is the Ford E450 V10.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
Our 2014 Chateau 23U hasn't has any major problems. repaired most minor ones. bathroom door springing open. wife broke the igniter on stove. The single Harris battery was joke. Died in one year. replaced it with three 12 volt in parallel. getting about 10 MPG on a E350 chassis. It took about 2000 miles to break in the front tires. So no steering issues so far. and we have 3400 miles.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:12 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We have 2012 Four Winds 23U we bought with only 1600 miles. We have so far had no problems and we now have 10500 miles on it. I did add a Saf-T-plus which helped handling. Just got rid of Harris junk battery replaced with an Interstate. I have also put a small portable solar on the house battery for winter storage. We did buy it from a very good dealer that really takes care of their customer so any bugs may have been gone when we bought it.. Good Luck
Old 02-09-2016, 04:59 AM   #8

THOR #3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
We have 2012 Four Winds 23U we bought with only 1600 miles. We have so far had no problems and we now have 10500 miles on it. I did add a Saf-T-plus which helped handling. Just got rid of Harris junk battery replaced with an Interstate. I have also put a small portable solar on the house battery for winter storage. We did buy it from a very good dealer that really takes care of their customer so any bugs may have been gone when we bought it.. Good Luck
Which interstate batteries did you replace your standard batteries (Harris) with?

Interstate 6 Volt Deep Cycle or Deep Cycle/Starting Dual Purpose?
Old 02-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
I went with a wet 12 volt Deep Cycle size 27, I don't know if its considered dual purpose. I know the Interstate guy and he said the extra money for AGM probably wasn't worth it for what I was doing. I actually have the same battery in my fishing boat and its about 4 years old although I do keep a trickle charge on it 24/7, which I did read if you keep a charger on the batteries they will last a lot longer and that's why I put a portable solar charger on my house battery.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:22 AM   #10

Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
We have a 2015 Chateau 28F and love it. No real issues, blown fuse on Axxera radio, bad Seiki TV, loose hose on hydraulic jack, and a couple LED lights on the awning. All repaired / replaced as warranty issues. We have 11,000 miles on it. Averaging 8.5 mpg (Ford 450) but we are usually pulling a trailer ( have to take the Harley's with us!). It's just the 2 of us and it is perfect for us. Just remember the rv owner phrase, the owner is the only thing that always works! Good luck.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 29G
State: Ohio
THOR #3019
We purchased a 29G in early October. During our PDI, I told the Salesman that the tires looked a bit low to me. "No way,", he said. When I checked them, they only had about 45 PSI in each. There should have been 75 PSI Front and 80 PSI rear. The External gas hookup for the Gas grill was installed so tightly against the body that there was no way to connect the gas line from the grill to the hookup.The Dealer remedied this in about 10 minutes. Other than that, no issues.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:58 PM   #12

Model: Thor Chateau 31w
State: New York
THOR #3786
First time buyer of a Rv, I bought a 2016 Thor Chateau 31w on a ford 450 last September 2015, I never took it anywhere until jan 2016.

Overall I like it a lot, had some issues.
1). I have found as I am traveling moving slide in and out. I have found 9 mixed screws from somewhere.
2). Found 3 pieces of small plastic parts that go somewhere.
3). Bathroom door wont stay shut while traveling.
4). 5 cabinet doors that pop open when driving. (I use painters blue tape to shut them.
5). The right cabinet above the couch, the gaps on the bottom left and right aren't equal, so while driving about 3000 miles the bottom right of the cabinet wood actual cracked.
6). The TV inside, by the bed, while driving came off it's hinges except one.
7). Some plastic piece came off either the screen door or door, saved it not sure where it goes.
8). The screen door has a couple of gaps allowing bugs in.
9). When I drive when I get to about 61 to 63 mph I hear a vibration under the vehicle somewhere behind the front seats.

Since, I am not done with my trip haven't got that stuffed repaired.
hopes this helps.
-my suggestion. Since it was my first RV learn more about pre-inspection and take RV on a short trip 8 hours away to work and find the bugs of the RV before a cross country trip. Again I am a Noobie RV'er. LOL
Old 03-09-2016, 12:12 AM   #13

THOR #1490
OK. update on our 23 U. Axis water pump didn't die on us, just ruptured a diaphragm, water everywhere. the dinette set cheap board soaked up some of the water, now its swelled up. Later I'll have to cut about three inches off the bottom and replace the distorted piece. Got a SHURflo with accumulator. Doubled the mounting base on the new pump. Don't really hear the pump running now.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:00 AM   #14

State: Oklahoma
THOR #3822
Our experience has not been that great. We purchased the RV last spring and had some trips planned for the upcoming summer. First couple of outings were to the local lake. Everything was good for the most part, but AC was not near good enough at keeping the RV cool. 95 degress outside, 85 at best inside. Also had trouble with the generator shutting off. Yes, we kept the gas tank above half. Had to cut the trip short and ended up back home at a local lake. Storm came through and knocked out the power, so on generator power. Fuse trips on generator. Took a while to figure that one out. Purchased a portable AC to take along on our next trip to Branson, MO. Running lights in the rear went out on the RV. Driving at night, wife followed me, so made it work. Went to level the rv with the auto leveling, said it was level, but was clearly not. Took a coke can on its side and it roled downhill off of the table. Door Lock started sticking and would not unlock. Fridge latch would nut stay shut while driving down the road, tv did not work with cable. Found out they do not have the new modulator in their cheap tv, so does not work with new cable. AC still an issue. Blows cold, but hardly coming through vents. Took the AC cover off and that seemed to help. Good thing we purchased a portable ac . Sink plumbing started leaking, and a storm came through and one of the windows about the couch started leaking. The seam on the couch was already coming apart as well. After returning from Branson, took the rv into the dealer. They have had it nearly 6 weeks now and still waiting on Thor to approve the repair to the seam on the couch. The dealer also told me that the AC is working as it should . If that is the case, a single ac unit on the 31 w is simply not enough. Since the 31w is a 30 amp, cant just run another ac unit. Will have to wire it seperately and power with 110. $1500 or so to add. Anyone else having trouble with their ac in the 31w not keeping the rv cool during the day. We were in 90 to 95 degree days with the rv inside at 80-85. Seems it would cool better than that. Is this par for the Thor RV life?
Old 09-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #15

Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
Living in the north the AC is not usually an issue. When we do have a few hot days in the summer the single AC unit on all of the rv's we have had can not keep up. The leveling system does need to be recalibrated every so often, the instructions are in the manual, but if its like ours the instructions in our manual were for the old control panel, I had to go online and print off instructions for ours and it has worked great ever since. As for the sofa we ripped ours out before we ever used it and bought two small lazyboys to sit in, much more comfortable.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:26 PM   #16

THOR #1490
We got back from a 2200 mile trip. we ran into a heat wave in Oregon, 106 in Grants Pass. The A/C was working good until the breaker at the campground kept tripping. Wasn't my A/C, the camp host said they had other problems with another breaker. So it was them not me. Camped under the redwoods for three days. little sun light to charge the batteries. no hook ups. batteries were good didn't go under 12.6v
Old 10-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #17

State: North Carolina
THOR #9217
Back at it

Have just had my 2017 Thor Gemini totaled by my insurance due to Hurricane Florence. We live across the Neuse River from New Bern NC which got all the news coverage. Our townhouse is about 50 yds from the river which rose about 11' due to the tidal surge. Needless to say, we were not prepared for that much water. Moved the rv to higher ground prior to the storm but missed it by 18 inches. My question is that I have found a 2015 thor chateau 24c with approximately 27k miles. Any reviews, comments, etc would be helpful. Thanks
Old 11-23-2018, 04:09 AM   #18

Model: 24ft Chateau
State: Florida
THOR #9537
Good evening
I am a newbie just bought a 24ft Chateau with 12,000 miles in March of 2017. It's on a Chevy 3500 and it has had the same issue twice, it would shut down while on the road. After 20-30 miniatures it runs great. Took it in and both times replaced fuse box under chassis and a Burnt cable. The bathroom fan motor stop working. I bought an extended warranty and so were covered so far it was worth it. I also found a soft spot on the cab over the drivers side, checked the whole roof found no damage to his he roof itself had a local RV dealer reseal all areas of the roof, checked and they did a great job. It came with rear airbags in back stock shocks. Rides pretty good. Will make handling better mods in the future. Wife love the RV. Minor mods were replacing all int lights to LED, back splash in the kitchen, 2 new batteries . So far every thing works fine,