Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Missouri
THOR #3794
Class C Chateau 31W rain problem

Good morning from central FL. Snowbirding for the winter. This problem has happened twice. Yesterday was the second time. My site in the park, I face north, so that makes the streetside face to the west. Most of the storms come from the west. The furnace is on the streetside of my Chateau. When these two storms came through, my furnace would not work. Called and rv tech guy to look at it. Found water under the printed circuit board. The board sits on the bottom of the compartment. The bottom is made of plastic. No space under the board at all. He took the board out dried it and put it back, then he put a piece of cardboard under it to raise. I thought, well if rain gets in here again, the cardboard isn't going to help at all. Just soak up the water with the board sitting on a wet surface again. With yesterdays problem, me and my site neighbor, looked at it. YUP, same problem, water under the board. This time we put some rubber under the board like legs to rasie the board up off the bottom. When I was holding the cover before putting it back on, I looked at the louvers that the fresh air comes into the furnace, with the exhaust below it. Then it dawned on me, the louvers are made that they are inside of the compartment. Not outside where the rain would drip off to the ground, These louvers act as scoops to bring water into the compartment. I would think that louvers should go to the outside to divert the water from the interior of the area the louvers are over. NOT THESE. Its like the die that made the cover was in the reverse, pushing the louver into the inside of the cover. I hope I explained this clear enough to show my problem.
Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Ar your louvers push into the inside of the cover, or are they pushed to the outside of the cover, which I would consider the proper place.
Have a great day.
Oh, the fix I am think of, is to make a hood to go over the open to keep the rain from entering the opening.

Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You might want to read this thread: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...egas-4200.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Missouri
THOR #3794
JamieGeek, thank you for the info.
I have read it all. I will contact Thor on Monday to see what can be done.
Have a great day.
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote