Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2020, 04:37 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
P.S. — It’s interesting that many people assume that fear of failures is the only reason a person may not want to own a motorhome or trailer with one or more slides. For me it is not. That’s very low on my list.

I don’t like the aesthetics inside or outside, don’t like that they leak (most leak, it’s just a matter of how much and under what conditions), they smell musty after a few years, they add cost, add weight, add noise, often reduce outside storage, require maintenance, require extra awning, reduce safety, reduce motorhome stiffness and integrity, and yes, occasionally also stop working at the worst possible time.

If I weigh all the inherent negatives of slides TO ME versus a little extra room, or a motorhome a couple of feet longer, it’s an easy comparison. If you love slides, it’s easy to dismiss any and all disadvantages as trivial. As with most things, it comes down to personal perspectives.
Please enlighten us on your thoughts on how slides reduce safety or require an extra awning.

As to the other points you make your are right when you say you primarily hear about the negative side of slides and not the positive side of slides.

My last three motorhomes all had at least two slides and the Challenger and the Accolade had/have 3. I have never had a slide leak, they have never smelled musty even after 5 years of ownership and there has only been one issue with a slide and that was because Thor forgot to install a bulb seal which served as a wire chase and the cable disconnected from the slide motor.

On our Accolade we have 3 slides. I will be taking the coach to Middlebury to have the dinette slide raised and the side of the coach repainted. I knew about this issue and had a teleconference with Entegra, Jayco, the dealer and ourself before we bought the coach. The kitchen slide does not have or require a slide topper.

8 slides over the past 10 years alone and only one small issue for which Thor authorized a mobile tech.

The reasons we bought the Accolade instead of a Thor Magnitude were the three slide floorpan and the Magnitude's bedroom slide. The additional space gained from the third slide (2 in the living area and one in the bedroom) ion the Accolade is great. The other reason was actually a negative slide issue the Magnitude. In the Magnitude the bedroom slide required the bed to be elevated to retract the slide so it would be impossible for Kathy or myself to use the bed unless the slide was fully extended. My requirement has always been full use of the coach with slides in or out. That requirement does eliminate some floorpans from ever being considered.

Yes there is some preventative maintenance that is required but it is nowhere remotely close to the amount that some folks would lead others to believe. 1 to 2 hours every 6 to 12 months.

Like you say, however, everyone has their preference.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:58 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
The main point I was making is that lack of problems by the many does not mean the few will not have problems. And it’s not necessarily their fault or their doing. Sometimes it’s just bad luck, like a medicine that helps most people but kills a few. As long as we know the odds, we can decide whether the benefit is worth the risk of experiencing side effects or death.

Regarding the more subjective issues, like aesthetics, I doubt I’ll ever see a slide that doesn’t stand out like it doesn’t belong there, as if it’s an afterthought. To me they disrupt visual lines or continuity. I will admit that some look a lot better to me than others. Regardless, I much prefer the looks of a smooth, flush and uninterrupted side or rear wall. The most expensive motorhomes do a much better job of hiding slides on the inside and out, but the same clean look can be achieved on a budget by not having the slide in the first place. Like when luxury brands advertise their level floors. Cheaper motorhomes with slides have step-up at floor. Without a slide your floor can be level and it’s free.

I wish manufacturers had continued R&D into new no-slide motorhomes, rather than relegate them to entry-level coaches. Now they are doing it indirectly but for B vans which cost more.

Anyway, I’m not against slides as much as pointing out that no-slide designs can have many advantages. And they shouldn’t necessarily be associated with cheap or inferior products.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:32 AM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
The slide in our Axis 25.2 had problems the day we went to pick it up as our first brand new rv. One of the motors burned up and the folks at CW kept trying to close it going back and forth. It ended up crooked and jammed. Not a good start. Several hours later it was repaired and working well. The Class C we had before the Axis had one slide and it decided not to close while we were in the Smokeys. Got it closed manually and off to repair shop on our return. $$$ Preventive maintenance is done on the Axis slide but I do not trust it. It has leaked so now besides expecting it to fail electrically, we check often to see if there are any water leaks. I've been in sleeping bags that got wet when sleeping in a tent but it is truly discouraging when you wake up in your MH with water soaking the foot end of the bed. Like I said, I just do not trust slides. Yes, that is the only thing about the Axis that I do not wish to deal with and the only reason I want out of it.
Back to where we started. Easy to see why you want out of that rig and into something without a slide. Some owners have had difficult problems resolved by the folks back at the factory shop. I would sure trust them rather than CW, especially with the problems you had and are having. Before you surrender and trade or sell it, why not call them and see what they say?
Old 04-01-2020, 06:12 PM   #24
Luc

State: Quebec
THOR #3731
You don't have to remove the wheel for the battery. From the inside simply remove the folding shelf you are just above the battery

Luc
Old 04-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Happy with our 25.2

I started off with a ’95 Tiffin 32 foot Allegro Bus, no slide. We put a lot of miles on it, going all over the Lower 48. The only complaint we ever had was that a slide would have made it a lot roomier.

We moved up, down or sideways, I’m not sure, to a Tiffin 36 foot Allegro Bay, with a living room slide. We really liked the floorplan and all of the extra room that came with the slide. But I spent more money, repairing the slide, trying to keep it working, that we finally gave up, sold it and bought a park model in a community we really loved in FL.

After 10 years, I got itchy feet again. We thought maybe, if we bought something small, just for short trips and the bi-annual migration to and from FL, we be happy. We looked at a number of Class Bs, and finally ended up buying a Tioga 23 footer with a single slide. It was perfect, except for the sleeping arrangements. All it had was the drop down dining booth or the jack knife couch. And neither was large enough for both of us. We kept it for six months, enjoyed being able to travel again, but hated the sleeping arrangements. It did end up being an outstanding investment, as we sold it for slightly more than we paid for it. I don’t expect that that will ever happen again.

We bought a used 2016 Vegas 25.2 and for the most part, have been happy with it. Yes, changing the battery is a pain. And I’ll understand why the dump valve had to have that twist design. Otherwise, we’re happy and I’d do it again. We’ve owned three years now and haven’t had a problem with the rear slide, or the drop down cab bed.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:13 PM   #26

State: South Carolina
THOR #17334
Quote:
Our first rv (besides the popup) was a class c. We kept it for several years then moved to our current Thor Axis. Now we are strongly considering going back to a class c. Interested to hear comments, positive and negative, from those who have done this. Thanks all.
We had a class C for years and are so happy with out A now! Since the class C is basically “added” to a vehicle there are lots of issues with leaks and seals where a class a is all “one unit” like a large SUV...also the head space is so much better in our class A. We have the 24.1 and love the king bed!
Old 04-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #27

Model: 25.2 axis
THOR #3992
We bought our 25.2 axis in 2016 the windshield was a big selling point . With the rear slide you can park it in a parking lot put out the slide whereas when they're on the side can't do that. Perfect for tailgating and just for two people it's all you need . Except for a few minor problems which looks like everyone on this forum has had it's been a great experience. I love to kick back in the rear bedroom watch TV or just listen to music. Wunderdog I think you'd be happy with a 25.2.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:18 PM   #28

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
We went from a 40 ft dp to a super C after having class A’s for 20 years. Miss the room and storage of the A. Love the handling of the super C. Way less stressful to drive the C.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alberta
THOR #17181
We also went from a class A to a class C. The biggest reason was the windshield on the class A. I got tired of replacing it from the rocks hitting it.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:03 AM   #30
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Went from the smallest tent trailer Starcraft made to an Itaska Spirit 24ft no slides. Traveled locally and loved it. Then one trip across the country added Steer Safe and air bags. Finally felt save driving it back home. Got really small when it poured cats and dogs for several days. Then purchased a diesel dully and a fifth wheel with two slides. Wow what a difference. Loved it for seven years and over 50k miles. The purchased our new to us Class A Palazzo 33.2. Less room inside and close on storage, but the ride! Live outside when camping a lot so not so bad. My wife's neck and back could not take the truck ride anymore and she has a high prosthesis that could not allow her to sit in a gas class C or A along with my back and knees that needed a big change. With a class C she needs to get out of the passenger door to enter the class C and with a gas Class A she could not get into and out of the passenger seat. Gas class C or A are noisy and some of it can be mitigated with more sound proofing added and a steer save added for better control in wind. So it just depends on what type of traveling you are going to do. We wanted a washer and dryer, home fridge, etc.. Unless you have a big income, make sure on just what you want. If you don't, it can get expensive. If I was by myself, I might have opted for a large class C or A gas unit. Love the diesel pusher though and always love the room the slides add.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:00 AM   #31

Model: Windsport 32R
THOR #17209
Different strokes for different folks. I bought a used Class A, 32 ft. Windsport. I didn't want slides either. The layout changed my mind. I will say, though, that my slides are hydraulic which to me is WAAYY better than the dual motor crap they sell. I had to learn how to do things so I had no leaks. The room is great. My neighbor bought a Freedom Elite 28H from CW and it is a piece of junk. The marker lights on the overhang leaked, the batteries were bad, the wiring for the battery jumper and charging system were ass backwards. The workmanship is terrible. The bath had to be totally redone the first week and CW didn't want to honor the warranty. At least buying a used rig, I expected to have to work out some bugs. We also wanted to trade up but cannot find anything with the amenities and quality that we have now. (Ours is from before Thor bought Four Winds). Grandkids sleeping with us and kitty cats along for the ride preempt anything smaller than 30 feet. Oh, yeah, my foldout couch is actually the same foldout that I have in my spare room at home, not some jacknifer.
Just sayin'
Old 04-02-2020, 07:39 PM   #32

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Our first rv (besides the popup) was a class c. We kept it for several years then moved to our current Thor Axis. Now we are strongly considering going back to a class c. Interested to hear comments, positive and negative, from those who have done this. Thanks all.
WOuld never do it. Went from C to A. Needed more space of course but the C handled like a used up U Haul It which it could have been if someone hadn't slapped on an RV box. If I want something to "drive me," I'll get a real driver and not the RV itself.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:38 PM   #33
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Back to the drawing board.
Lovely wife, mother of my children, keeper of the peace and counter of the coin will not consider a Class B or B+. Their efficient use of space is not for her. .
about a year n a half ago, Ron thought he wanted to downsize to a Winnebago Travato. So, I shopped and shopped...found one in Springfield, MO...we cleaned out the Axis 24.1..just in case we made the deal...went down there...drove it...went over it 'with a fine-toothed comb' ….and decided, thank goodness, we were not ready to downsize AND have to pay $30k extra for the same model year as our Axis !!
Refrig on Travato is postage stamp size...beds are wonderful..wish we had them.....not much room in the unit..wet bathroom doable....drives nice..
Just not for us...

We are happy we did not make the downsize...we are seniors...and as long as we can get down the road with the Axis n Jeep in tow...we will do it...
WE LOVE OUR AXIS !!!

Kay.....

and....ha...if we are not able to go camping this summer...we have a creek which runs through our backyard...and we may just move the Axis over there and camp at home !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:31 AM   #34

State: Louisiana
THOR #10057
Search elswhere, Thor products are cheap and very badly assembled. Don't belive all you hear from some on here, Thor is not very good.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:44 AM   #35

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscay1 View Post
Search elswhere, Thor products are cheap and very badly assembled. Don't belive all you hear from some on here, Thor is not very good.
Ok, you want to tell us all why your Thor, is so bad? Or are you merely on here to Troll?
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #36
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Ok, you want to tell us all why your Thor, is so bad? Or are you merely on here to Troll?
There will ALWAYS be those who are angry due to issues they have had with an RV...be it Thor or any other brand. Anyone who wants to knock Thor..should go to the Winnebago site, etc. They, too, have their issues.
When shopping for our Axis (which, we are well documented as being very happy with)...we passed on Forest River and several other non Thor units, due to quality control issues...right off the factory floor.

So...all I can say...is buyer be ware...when considering an RV..regardless of brand...go over it with a fine tooth comb...don't buy a unit which has any issues on the lot...that unit is only as good as the guy who sells it to you...
RV retailers, all too often, will say anything to get that unit off the lot !! Our brand new 2016 Axis had an electrical issue, which was caused by a dealer stealing an electrical part from our unit...to place in another unit !!

So....there ya go !! WE STILL LOVE OUR AXIS !! and hope we can use it this camping season !!

STAY SAFE...WEAR A MASK WHEN VENTURING OUT TO SHOP, etc.

Ron and Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:08 PM   #37

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
Love my Thor! You have problems with all brands. Had mine for two years and 12k miles and only minor problems. Most features are of great quality and are well put together. All brands have their cheaper models. Good product if you get the better modules.