Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
Fox

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #18534
Class A Front Seat Usability with Bunk Down???

Hi,
While we're exercising "stay-at-home", I thought I'd ask the following question... Are there any Class A models where the front seats are still usable (for a 6' adult) when the front bunk has been lowered? From various videos and photos I've noticed that there are a few different styles of bunk mechanisms and mattress thicknesses; some of which seem to get closer to the seat headrests than others. Just wondering if anyone has a Class A where they can still use the front seats when the bunk is down? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Yes, some do and some don't. While you're stuck at home I recommend you check out Matt's RV Reviews. He'll let you know if an RV is usable with the cab bed in the down position and he can be entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBH...soPJ9IcbZ0n_Uw
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:14 PM   #3

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
My wife and I have looked at a lot of class A’s. I don’t think we have ever seen one with an overhead bunk down and the front seats useable. Well if you’re really short maybe.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I haven't seen one yet and we looked at quite a few class As before we bought the Challenger. The front seats were usable provided your head was lower than the top of the head rest but I had to duck stoop down to get in and out.

The same pretty much holds true for Class C and Super Cs that have swivel cab seats and an overhead bunk.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:50 PM   #5

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Hi,
While we're exercising "stay-at-home", I thought I'd ask the following question... Are there any Class A models where the front seats are still usable (for a 6' adult) when the front bunk has been lowered? From various videos and photos I've noticed that there are a few different styles of bunk mechanisms and mattress thicknesses; some of which seem to get closer to the seat headrests than others. Just wondering if anyone has a Class A where they can still use the front seats when the bunk is down? Thanks in advance!

Fox, I see you’re in Spring. I am in Magnolia. If I can help you with your selection or if you have any questions please let me know.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #6

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Thor Challenger 37fh I'm 6ft when grandkids sleep on front drop down bed I can sit at front table with coffee in the morning while the bed is down and them asleep.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:56 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I've seen most of the front-bunk Class A gas and diesel models, and was part of the roll-out initial build of the Venetian with a 'seat belt' system let-down front bunk on it's FRONT entry diesel model - but all of these are somewhat problematic when the bunk is down, for sure. It's doable, but trying to then use the front driver/passenger seats for anything realistic is out of the question. The Venetian even had the problem of ENTRY into the coach once the bed was down.... not a good idea in my book, but might work for some who really need the extra sleeping space, and don't mind having to almost 'crawl' to get out or in the coach when it is.

Our 2015 Georgetown XL had a 'fold down' front bunk. It might have taken up a little less 'head room', but then was not nearly as usable as the typical 'electric' Queen sized front bunks that THOR uses. We even use ours now as 'storage', modifying the 'stops' to give us about 12-16 inches of usable space, even when driving. That's a LARGE area for storage, especially if it's either clothing, blankets, or even pots/pans, kitchen items, etc.
Of course, with the mid-entry diesel, like we have, this is possible.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:19 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
My old rig was a 2017 ACE 29.3. With the bunk down I could sit under it. I am 6' but if I sat very upright my head would touch. I did however feel very closed in but maybe that was just me. I had to put a shorter seat pedestal on for the passengers seat for another reason. That made that seat very usable with bed down.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:03 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I can drive and use the seats in my ACE with the bed down.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:54 PM   #10

State: Illinois
THOR #17261
We have a Miramar 35.2 and are able to use the front seats with the bunk down
Old 04-15-2020, 10:22 PM   #11

Model: 32.1 ACE
THOR #14323
ACE 32.1 I'm 6'3" have no problems with the bunk down, except to remember when you get up.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:03 PM   #12

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
We have a Palazzo. We can still sit in the front chairs, but getting in and out requires crouching. The bunk is 4" above the top of the front seats.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:53 PM   #13

State: Alabama
THOR #15026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Hi,
I have a Hurricane 29M Class A and I am not sure if you mean "using the seats" while the Bunk is lowered? In our RV, you can use the front seats when the bunk is fully lowered. What we do during the day/evening before someone needs to use the bunk, we raise it back up some but not all the way up. You just have to remind people that they cannot use the bunk in a "semi" lowered position. As to seating, if the bunk is FULLY lowered you would need to slump down.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:12 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
In my 29M you have to recline the seats and point the drivers fan to the side window to lower the bunk so the seats are pretty much out of commission when the bunk is lowered.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, front bunk