Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdjeep23 View Post
It isn't an investment, I do realize that. And in general, buying within a few thousand dollars of a fair value isn't a big deal.

That being said, most people are taking out a 20 year loan on these babies. Most people aren't going to keep them for 20 years.... a 60k mistake on the front end that could have been avoided is going to hurt!
Don’t buy a motorhome! You’ll soon be posting about your big mistake on this forum. Go buy a minivan to travel in with the small children. Book hotels and motels. You’ll save thousands. Isn’t that what you’re really all about. Happy MH owners are those that enjoy what they bought regardless of all the what if’s. I found the floor plan. Then found the dealer that had it. Then went and bought it. I’ve now customized it. Load er up and off we go. Into the great unknown.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:21 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
News this morning stated average gas cost in California is $4.68 per gallon, with many stations over $5.00. As far back as I can recall, every time fuel costs have gone up, demand for motorhomes has gone down. Obviously there can be time delay, since few things occur instantaneously.

I use PPL consignment as a rough guide for volume and prices, and can see today there are roughly twice as many motorhome listings than during demand peak (within last year or so).

Granted, average gas costs nationally are much lower than in California, but even at +/- $3.50 per gallon, a typical Class A fill-up will run about $200. For many families that camp close to home and stay put that may not be that bad, but for those planning on touring and lots of driving, I can’t see how fuel costs won’t make a difference. To me it appears a correction is already underway.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:30 PM   #43
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
News this morning stated average gas cost in California is $4.68 per gallon, with many stations over $5.00. As far back as I can recall, every time fuel costs have gone up, demand for motorhomes has gone down. Obviously there can be time delay, since few things occur instantaneously.

I use PPL consignment as a rough guide for volume and prices, and can see today there are roughly twice as many motorhome listings than during demand peak (within last year or so).

Granted, average gas costs nationally are much lower than in California, but even at +/- $3.50 per gallon, a typical Class A fill-up will run about $200. For many families that camp close to home and stay put that may not be that bad, but for those planning on touring and lots of driving, I can’t see how fuel costs won’t make a difference. To me it appears a correction is already underway.
Gas here dropped .03 per gallon. I fill the JGC for 2.98 per gallon the other day at Circle K
Old 11-16-2021, 02:20 PM   #44

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Once I we are behind the wheel..headed to a campsite ..enjoying the views ..nothing else matters
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Old 11-16-2021, 02:36 PM   #45

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
I agree with the sentiment "buy it and have fun - life is short", just make sure that if you finance the purchase you can live with the fact that when it comes time to sell or trade that you will still owe more than the RV is worth. The larger down payment you can make the better off you will be. If you can pay cash then do it. Never every buy an RV for an investment.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:51 PM   #46

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Gas’s here dropped .03 per gallon. I fill the JGC for 2.98 per gallon the other day at Circle K

Just drove from Texas to Florida. Lowest gas cost I saw was an Exxon in Beaumont, Texas at $2.68 cash and $2.88 credit. I had never seen such a high credit card penalty.

Most of the way it was just over $3 range, with Florida highest on average. That’s the way it usually runs — Texas lowest, Florida highest, and three other states in middle.

In Florida a fill-up of van’s relatively small tank cost me just under $100. It would have gone over the century mark had I not filled up early trying to avoid higher prices on Turnpike (which turned out not to be the case).

Within a month’s period, I will have spent well over $1,000 in gas. A large motorhome at 8 MPG would have been +/- $2,000; not that I would have driven a large Class A back and forth twice for same reason.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:17 PM   #47

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I'm not looking forward to the gas cost on my next two trips next summer. So Cal to Georgia and the Carolinas then back. Trip 2 is yellowstone

Guess I'll just have to spend more of my kids inheritance

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
Old 11-16-2021, 03:50 PM   #48

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
This can be construed as a bit childish, but I just don't look. It wouldn't matter if I did look, it doesn't matter that I don't look. The Spousal unit and I don't need the point of conversation, I don't need the mpg/cost per mile hobby.

Truck stops or local off-the -path stations if I can so as to not get gouged by location(a cursory glance is about all I do), but once the nozzle is in the tank, I listen for the click, off, I put the nozzle back, I drive away.

I can't change it, everyone pays the same at that same pump I chose, I'm not being singled out due to height or age or hair color...fuel is just a thing.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:08 PM   #49

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Obviously the prices add up but we just got back from Disney world. Drove all the way from Washington state. The prices of gas were 50 cents on average higher then when we planned the trip. It was “only” 300.00 more. I say only because in the grand scheme 300 bucks is nothing compared to total cost. This was for a 6000 mile round trip.

You don’t buy an RV because of gas mileage. It’s because you like to do it. It can be a cheaper way of vacationing. But in the end of day it’s a hobby. Hobbies don’t usually make or save you money. You have hobbies to enjoy life.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:39 PM   #50

THOR #25354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Don’t buy a motorhome! You’ll soon be posting about your big mistake on this forum. Go buy a minivan to travel in with the small children. Book hotels and motels. You’ll save thousands. Isn’t that what you’re really all about. Happy MH owners are those that enjoy what they bought regardless of all the what if’s. I found the floor plan. Then found the dealer that had it. Then went and bought it. I’ve now customized it. Load er up and off we go. Into the great unknown.
We already have a travel trailer and have used it a ton. I am posting this because we want a Class A.....

If your advice is to show up at the dealer and take out a loan without weighing your options then... thanks I guess?
Old 11-16-2021, 10:29 PM   #51

THOR #20220
Just got back from Maui and kauai enjoyed reading the posts on the beach montana up to 80 mph winds..we are packing and leaving Monday for our hardly anything booked winter trip..Montana to Tennessee..then south north Carolina..then Texas AZ. NM back to Montana..family hitting the a class road tomorrow to AZ then family mh meeting in Tennessee...hope all goes well..thanks for all the amazing FREE knowledge..
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 11-17-2021, 12:44 AM   #52

THOR #25354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Just got back from Maui and kauai enjoyed reading the posts on the beach montana up to 80 mph winds..we are packing and leaving Monday for our hardly anything booked winter trip..Montana to Tennessee..then south north Carolina..then Texas AZ. NM back to Montana..family hitting the a class road tomorrow to AZ then family mh meeting in Tennessee...hope all goes well..thanks for all the amazing FREE knowledge..
Awesome! We went to Maui this last May, and it was the most beautiful place. Tennessee is where we are based out of, love it here as well.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:13 AM   #53
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:

$400.00 plus to fill up here in northern CA. Note I won't go to empty. Biggest pain is the $125.00 max at a time. Then the carve my backside for the payment. At least if you are going to cream me on the price, let me fill up completely at one time!
Old 11-17-2021, 01:21 AM   #54
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Just drove from Texas to Florida. Lowest gas cost I saw was an Exxon in Beaumont, Texas at $2.68 cash and $2.88 credit. I had never seen such a high credit card penalty.

Most of the way it was just over $3 range, with Florida highest on average. That’s the way it usually runs — Texas lowest, Florida highest, and three other states in middle.

In Florida a fill-up of van’s relatively small tank cost me just under $100. It would have gone over the century mark had I not filled up early trying to avoid higher prices on Turnpike (which turned out not to be the case).

Within a month’s period, I will have spent well over $1,000 in gas. A large motorhome at 8 MPG would have been +/- $2,000; not that I would have driven a large Class A back and forth twice for same reason.
Class A and C's are great for staying for a month or two in a single location. Explore the area and relax. The fuel cost becomes not so bad. Just think how much would have been spent for one or two months in a hotel with three meals a day at restaurants. Yes you have to be retired or able to work on the road.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:25 AM   #55

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdjeep23 View Post
Awesome! We went to Maui this last May, and it was the most beautiful place. Tennessee is where we are based out of, love it here as well.
In Chattanooga in December
Old 11-17-2021, 03:25 AM   #56

THOR #20220
Quote:

California $6.05
Old 11-17-2021, 04:21 AM   #57

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
California $6.05
That is too damn much. $480 to fillup? I need 4 ful tanks on my most basic trips so that is almost $2k on gas I may have to go back 2 years ago where we simply packed the Navigator and boat with Camping equipment and tent. The hardest part will be having to go into gas statins to use restrooms
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-17-2021, 06:04 AM   #58

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
That is too damn much. $480 to fillup? I need 4 ful tanks on my most basic trips so that is almost $2k on gas I may have to go back 2 years ago where we simply packed the Navigator and boat with Camping equipment and tent. The hardest part will be having to go into gas statins to use restrooms
Well you owners are some of the brigest on planet earth.

What can we do as hoover DAM MH OWNERS!!

01) HOW about we write a few big gas station CEO and mention we can use their corporate card. Advertise for them and get a Hugh discount.

WHO WANTS TO MARKET THIS WITH ME??
I see National media!!

Ok just got back from 3 weeks in Maui and kauai.
Sorry any other ideas???
Old 11-17-2021, 12:18 PM   #59

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

Hence why Class B camper vans are becoming more popular than they have in decades. Fuel economy can be close to that of a Navigator, and still provide a private restroom. Granted many of their bathrooms are tiny and too tight for large people, although there are exceptions. Regardless, I wouldn’t worry about $6.05 gas yet as that is not the norm. Having said that, fuel costs may become a real issue for large motorhomes over the next 10 years or so as internal combustion engine vehicles are phased out in larger numbers.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:26 PM   #60

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Look me up if near Rockwell NC.

Tags
34j, class a, class a motorhomes, thor 34j