Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2018, 12:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum LF31
State: Utah
THOR #11433
Angry Coach to Cab Gap

I just purchased a LF31 Quantum and took her out on our maiden voyage. Driving up the freeway my wife and I feel a hot breeze coming from under the carpet between the cab and the coach. I got home and pulled the carpet back to find a 1/4 inch gab between the cab and coach. Just open to the outside.

Anyone else find this with their coach?

Old 06-01-2018, 01:11 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
No excuse for that problem. Whatever time your dealer opens up in the morning, that's when you call them. If they don't jump high enough to suit you, call Thor customer service next (if your coach is new).

Some forum members have learned that you don't leave your coach and wait for the dealer to call, instead tell them you will have coach there for them when they are ready to work on it. If you have to, tell them your forum friends are really interested in how this is resolved!
Old 06-01-2018, 03:51 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Watching with interest..

PIC'S PLS!!!!!
This is something I heard about 3rd hand last week.
A neighbor has a new one...(same model) haven't had a chance to visit with them yet..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's amazing how something like this can get missed...
Somebody had to have driven the rig from the factory, to the dealership.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Drive away companies are not QC people. They don't care and don't want to lose their contract by pointing out mistakes. That could happen pretty quick delivering RV's. Plus, they may have another haul-back and don't wanna be told to return the one they're in. Didn't you guys do a test drive before you bought it? Seems this would have been obvious right out front.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I hadn't thought about that...
Old 06-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #7

Model: Quantum 31WS
State: Arizona
THOR #7419
Not so sure it would have been obvious. Our 17 Quantum WS31 had a tiny gap at the same location. We didn't notice it until about 6 mod into the RV. Finally used a bit of backer rod and sealant to fill the void. It was definitely not obvious, but there was a bit of reduction on road noise after we sealed up the joint.

Now slipping under on occasion and looking for other obvious openings left by the fine folks building our elegant motorhomes.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:05 PM   #8

THOR #11433
So I called Thor and the tech told me to get it into the dealer when I can. He seems to think that a gasket or weather stripping of some sort was left out of the build. He recommended that I not fix it myself and take it in. My rebuttal was that if I took it in every time I found something wrong, it would go in the day after I got it back from the last thing I found.

He recommended I then keep it for a while longer and see what else comes up...

My list is building and every time I find something, I get more frustrated, as they are not big or life ending items, but just things that should not have been over looked.

A few wires from undercarriage dragging on ground.
No HDMI cable run to the interior entertainment cabinet dvd player.
Shower walls not glued down most of the middle of the shower, so they are beginning to bow, and we are 3 weeks into this.
Many manuals missing
A few leaks from different spots which I looked under the coach and found wires entering the coach without grommets or caulking/sealant to keep water out, just a bare hole.
No bluetooth microphone for the cab stereo.
Under sink shelf broken and falling.
Sink pee trap not screwed together and leaking all over under the sink.

Just to name a few...
Attached Files
Old 06-01-2018, 11:12 PM   #9

THOR #11433
Both videos are post me fixing the gap...Sorry i didn't take any before. It was tough to see where the lens of my phone wouldn't get low enough to show the gap and how you could see the driveline and cement below the cab.

I used some weather stripping to fill the gap without any sealant as the Thor rep told me to have the dealer fix it all.

I haven't had it on the road yet, but my bet is that the cab becomes substantially quieter and cooler while driving mid-day.
Attached Files
Old 06-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Congratulations on getting the job done!!
Old 06-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #11

State: Arizona
THOR #11028
I had the same issue on our 2018 Quantum RC25. When i looked at it the rubber floor mat of the cab had sell adhesive tape on it that was designed such that the mat could be stuck to the front edge of the RV Floor. Once I did this the road noise was significantly reduced especially under acceleration. I also added a strip of automotive sound deadening in the gap.
Yes the noise was there on the test drive. No excuse.....
Old 06-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #12

THOR #11433
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSteve View Post
I had the same issue on our 2018 Quantum RC25. When i looked at it the rubber floor mat of the cab had sell adhesive tape on it that was designed such that the mat could be stuck to the front edge of the RV Floor. Once I did this the road noise was significantly reduced especially under acceleration. I also added a strip of automotive sound deadening in the gap.
Yes the noise was there on the test drive. No excuse.....
Surprising that these things sneak thru....or maybe they just don't care bc they still sell.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #13

Model: Chateau Super C 35SF
State: Kansas
THOR #11472
Same Problem with Chateau Super C 37SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepincameron View Post
I just purchased a LF31 Quantum and took her out on our maiden voyage. Driving up the freeway my wife and I feel a hot breeze coming from under the carpet between the cab and the coach. I got home and pulled the carpet back to find a 1/4 inch gab between the cab and coach. Just open to the outside.

Anyone else find this with their coach?

Seven weeks into our 5-month roadtrip to Alaska last year, we discovered the same problem with our Chateau Super C 35SF. In our case, rain was coming in as we drove along the highway. The Thor dealerships in Anchorage claimed they'd never seen such a problem

When we came back home, we immediately took our motor home back to the dealer for that and several other warranty issues. The dealer's service center claimed to have never seen such a problem before.

The service center pretty much rebuilt the section over the cab, replacing water-damaged wood and resecuring everything to the cab.

I've read a number of class C owner complaints about this problem.

It is a shame that Thor doesn't do better quality control before they release the RVs to dealers.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #14

State: California
THOR #2709
OK then, I thought I was the only one. Unfortunately, we bought our 2012 Thor Hurricane used, so no help for us there. We were driving along and I thought I could see the front tire and the road from my passenger seat. Sure enough, depending on the wind and torque of the front cap, the side flexes. Since there's no recourse for me with Thor, I will mention the weatherproofing to my husband. It will sure help on our hot desert trips, as well as helping the noise, but it sure is a shoddy manufacture.

Barb Knox
Cathedral City, Ca
Old 06-14-2018, 06:01 AM   #15

THOR #11433
Wow! So yes I would get some heavy duty half by 3/4 wide weather stripping and press it between the cab and coach and seal that up. Mine has worked awesome and has cooled the cab down tremendously along with way less road and engine noise. My dealer wants it for at least a week to go they my punch list and we are using the RV every week until mid August. I told them they will have to wait and my sales rep was not too happy.

Tags
hot inside, new coach, quantum, thor help