Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2016, 12:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis
State: California
THOR #5434
How to keep Refrigerator Cold While Driving?

I'm a total newbie! How do I keep the refrigerator cold while driving? Do
I run it on the propane? Or does running the engine keep it cold?

Old 09-16-2016, 12:59 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
You would need to run it on propane (or leave it on auto). The norcold in the axis/vegas is 110 or propane. So, unless you are on shore power or running the generator, it is propane
Old 09-16-2016, 01:00 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
By the way, how do you like your axis?
Old 09-16-2016, 01:04 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyregg View Post
Yes, you will need to run it on propane to keep the fridge cold. If you place it in the "auto" mode, it will switch from electric to propane when disconnected from shore power or generator and vice versa when reconnected to shore power or generator. Just don't forget to turn it to "off" when you're back home so it won't continue to use your propane.

You will find that the fridge uses very little propane to keep it cold.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:19 AM   #5

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
In the Florida summer heat, the Norcold fridge struggles to keep cold. I installed a computer muffin fan just beneath the coils in the back of the fridge to help air circulation. The fan is low-voltage, so any 12 volt power back there will run the fan. I put an in-line switch and fuse to manually turn the fan off/on when needed. The fan uses very little 12 volt power. Just be very careful when seeking 12 volt power. There is 120 A.C. back there., as well. I also installed a fan/light unit inside the fridge compartment which circulates the cooled air inside the fridge compartment.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:54 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you run it on propane you also should turn off the fridge while refueling.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:29 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgebo View Post
In the Florida summer heat, the Norcold fridge struggles to keep cold. I installed a computer muffin fan just beneath the coils in the back of the fridge to help air circulation. The fan is low-voltage, so any 12 volt power back there will run the fan. I put an in-line switch and fuse to manually turn the fan off/on when needed. The fan uses very little 12 volt power. Just be very careful when seeking 12 volt power. There is 120 A.C. back there., as well. I also installed a fan/light unit inside the fridge compartment which circulates the cooled air inside the fridge compartment.
Had the same issue here during the summer so in my prior class c I used a battery operated portable fan. Worked great and only used 2 D cell batteries in about 2.5 years. Still have it in my spare parts box.

You can use something like this to improve circulation when needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44123-F.../dp/B0006IX7TW
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:43 AM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Nancyregg,
You have no worries. We drove our Axis in the June-July summer heat from SoCal to Yellowstone and had it on AUTO. I had to turn the temp control down a bit so the back of the refrigerator didn't freeze the food. Never turned off the propane at any time. I think that they purposely put all that on the side opposite the fuel filler on the driver's side so you don't have to worry about it. Enjoy.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:57 AM   #9
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
When our RV is sitting in driveway, we turn it off.
When in use, we turn it to 'auto' .. it automatically knows when you are on shore power, and uses elec....and gas when unplugged.
Use caution when at gas pump.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #10

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
When the refrigerator is operating on propane there is an open flame. A flip of the battery disconnect switch to store mode allows RVs to refuel safely. Without 12V, the propane igniters and burners will shut down. A previous motorhome had the disconnect switch on the dash to make this precaution easy. Sure wish the Axis switch was in reach while driving!
Old 09-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
In Florida, leaving a condo to start exploring the panhandle. I turned frig on this morning at 620 on gas and just checked it at 835 and the freezer is ready to go and refrigerator is cooling down. We ran 5000 miles in April and May out west and we where in 100 plus weather with no problem running on auto.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I fill the bottom of my freezer with water bottles and let them freeze before I load the freezer with food. That way, when I forget to turn the fridge back on after a gas stop, (never happen) it stays cold. If you are having problems with wam spots in your fridge, taking one if the frozen water bottles and putting it in the warm spot helps to equalize the temperature. The frozen water bottle should last a day or two before it unfreezes and you have to replace it with another from the freezer.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:53 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Get one of the small fridge fans that run off of 2 D cell batteries. Place the fan in the lower left rear corner of your fridge. They do make a difference and the batteries will last for 30 days. I like the one with the on / off switch, a lot easier than taking the batteries out each time.

You can piggyback to the 12v on the back of fridge to run computer fan, just be sure to use meter first so you don't get 120v or the fan will go POOF!!! Using the 12v will cycle the fan when the fridge cycles, works great.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:50 AM   #14

Model: Axis
THOR #5434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
By the way, how do you like your axis?
So now I am replying for the first time so I hope this works also. Thank you very much Mo Mike! So far we LOVE our Axis. Seems to be the perfect size for my husband and me. Lot's of storage, comfortable seats, nice walk around bed with handy shelf and cubby and great shower. Kitchen area works great too. My husband says it is easy to drive and is encouraging me to give it a try
Old 09-17-2016, 04:03 AM   #15

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
So now I am replying for the first time so I hope this works also. Thank you very much Mo Mike! So far we LOVE our Axis. Seems to be the perfect size for my husband and me. Lot's of storage, comfortable seats, nice walk around bed with handy shelf and cubby and great shower. Kitchen area works great too. My husband says it is easy to drive and is encouraging me to give it a try
Suggest you find just the right piece of road with little traffic and no wind for your first drive... Get used to that first and work your way up to traffic and cross winds.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:47 PM   #16

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Learning to drive: Start in a BIG parking lot so you can get a feel for the gas, brakes, and steering, progress from there. If yo go to You-Tube there are some excellent videos on driving. Lots of women drive motor homes, and 18 wheelers, and you can too!!! Slow and easy at first, more as you start to feel comfortable. Go do it and have FUN!!!
Old 09-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #17

Model: Sieta Sprinter 24 ST
State: Virginia
THOR #4408
I own a 24 foot (25 plus 3 foot cargo carrier) and drive it by myself. I drove a school bus for a number of years, enlarged van and it takes a wee bit of getting used to how it handles, tires, weight, cross winds, but it's such a pleasure you'll love it once you try it out!
jrizzo406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:50 AM   #18

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #7689
Where is the off switch?
Old 09-15-2017, 02:19 AM   #19

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #2787
Axis refrigerator not working on propane w/o generator running.

Has anyone had issues with refrigerator not working on propane only, the igniter does not work when the switch on the refrigerator is in Auto or Propane. When I turn on the generator the refrigerator will run on Propane. There appears to be a problem with the refrigerator not getting 12 volts when the generator is not running. This has been a problem since I purchased the unit, I am the 2nd owner and never noticed the issue till I went camping with a friend and he asked why I was running my generator when I pulled into the camp ground. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #20
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post
Has anyone had issues with refrigerator not working on propane only, the igniter does not work when the switch on the refrigerator is in Auto or Propane. When I turn on the generator the refrigerator will run on Propane. There appears to be a problem with the refrigerator not getting 12 volts when the generator is not running. This has been a problem since I purchased the unit, I am the 2nd owner and never noticed the issue till I went camping with a friend and he asked why I was running my generator when I pulled into the camp ground. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Be sure your use/store switch is in the 'USE' position, or you will not have 12v when not on shore power or Genny... (Converter provides 12v to coach when plugged in or on Genny regardless of switch position...)

Since you say it does run on propane when running Genny, indicates fuses, control board, ignitors are all ok...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote