Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2020, 08:59 PM   #61

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I've 'made' coffee, in a standard 120v coffee maker, several times while 'only' on the inverter... but, I had to take some 'precautions' to make it all 'work' without issue - such as turn DOWN the Inverter's LBCO(low battery cutout) protection, down to 10, just to maintain the power with the Inverter shutting off during brewing. I found that the brewer 'heating' comes in 'spurts', or better said, it runs at a high draw for 15-20 seconds, then cuts outs for about another 15-20 seconds, then runs again, etc.
If I watch the VOLTS on the Inverter readout while the brewer is working, I can 'see' when the power is really required, and when it is also dropping back into a more of 'warming' mode.

So, to resolve any issue - I turn down the LBCO setting while brewing off the Inverter, then turn it back to my 'normal' setting afterwards. Now, I don't, though, allow the coffee maker to continue to sit in the 'warming' mode once it's brewing is complete - I shut it off. The coffee is then hot enough for a long long time, even without any warming.

Besides, it doesn't take me that long to drink it anyway - I'm not a 'sipper'!

Thanks. Good info.

I’d suggest in future posts to also share battery and inverter ratings for clarity since all of this is relative to equipment capacity.

In your case I think you have a large battery bank and high-capacity inverter, but I’m not sure since I’m going from memory. Regardless, 200 Ah and 2,000-Watt inverter is quite different than 600 Ah and 4,000-Watt. More information may explain why you needed to lower the cutout voltage.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:37 PM   #62

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Coffee on inverter- we sill soon see!

Hoping these will give us what we need to make coffee without running the generator. Will give us 900amp hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	25961  
Old 09-05-2020, 02:28 AM   #63

State: California
THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
Being the the inverter is supposedly 1800 watts, it "should" be able to run a coffee maker while boondocking yes? Seems the only things on said inverter are the refrigerator, lights, water pump, heater, and outside TV, but no inside TV's or any plug in the kitchen...weird
My advice to you is to test all of your outlets, TV’s, etc when you are on house battery supply only. Find out what is actually wired through that 1800 watt inverter. We have a 2017 Miramar and the residential refrigerator, TV’s, interior lighting and a couple outlets are wired to work off of the house batteries (through the inverter). There are no outlets in the kitchen or bathrooms that are wired through the inverter. If you want coffee without using shore power or generator then you’ll have to identify the couple of hot outlets from the house batteries and run your coffe maker on them. If you’re hooked up to shore power or running the generator then you can do coffee in the kitchen.
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:40 AM   #64

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
Bought a coffee percolator for the stove for just that reason.
Better than instant. Take the grinds out and can be warmed as needed.
AND AND AND ......Filters are available for the stove-top/firepit percolator pots.
Available online and at Bi-Mart
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180513_181853.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	25965  
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:45 PM   #65

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Hoping these will give us what we need to make coffee without running the generator. Will give us 900amp hours.

Will you share which Lifeline battery size or model and number of batteries you went with? I can’t quite tell from picture.

900 Ah at 12V is quite a bit of capacity, and should handle a lot of power. I look forward to your results.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:05 PM   #66

THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Will you share which Lifeline battery size or model and number of batteries you went with? I can’t quite tell from picture.

900 Ah at 12V is quite a bit of capacity, and should handle a lot of power. I look forward to your results.
They are lifeline 6CT's, 300Ah each. And after unplugging the coach last night, running 2 TV's for 2 hours, running the furnace (low 49 last night), using lights and TV this morning I brewed a pot of coffee. Was at 12.5 V when the coffee was done. I then plugged it back in. I'm happy.
Mike
Old 09-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #67

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Smile

Quote:
I'm going to need you to explain this to my wife, who is the one that would have to go outside in the rain at 6am, open the TV cabinet, plug in the coffee maker, hold it while it brews because it's 5ft off the ground, and bring me a cup in bed And to the last point...in all things those matter, yes?
And , pray tell, what’s wrong with that?
Old 09-12-2020, 05:23 PM   #68

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
They are lifeline 6CT's, 300Ah each. And after unplugging the coach last night, running 2 TV's for 2 hours, running the furnace (low 49 last night), using lights and TV this morning I brewed a pot of coffee. Was at 12.5 V when the coffee was done. I then plugged it back in. I'm happy.
Mike
In the Tuscany I have room for the 13 inch height but not room for 6 batteries. How did you find the extra room for the batteries. The reviews on your battery choice are very good and the only down side is the 400 bucks plus per battery. 90 pounds is a bit to tug around but you don't have to do that often

I went with the T105 AGM's due to availability but had looked at the 6CT and it was certainly a contender
Old 09-12-2020, 05:53 PM   #69
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
And , pray tell, what’s wrong with that?
Nothing: As long as you also don't mind getting shot in bed...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #70

THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
In the Tuscany I have room for the 13 inch height but not room for 6 batteries. How did you find the extra room for the batteries. The reviews on your battery choice are very good and the only down side is the 400 bucks plus per battery. 90 pounds is a bit to tug around but you don't have to do that often

I went with the T105 AGM's due to availability but had looked at the 6CT and it was certainly a contender
After seeing aznytfury's post on installing 6 105's, and measuring carefully, I figured I could do the same thing with the CT6's.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	batteries.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	26094  
Old 09-12-2020, 07:46 PM   #71

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Thanks, few more photos if you have them
Old 09-12-2020, 08:33 PM   #72

THOR #2121
Quote:
Mike

Thanks for follow-up. It’s not surprising since numbers suggest 900 Ah could power relatively large loads for hours. By comparison your battery-bank is much larger than that of the Coachmen Cross Trek, which has between 330 and 400 Ah (at 12V), and they power a 3,000-Watt full-house inverter in lieu of having a generator.

Anyway, I’m also curious how you will charge that much battery capacity in reasonable time. Did you have to upgrade the converter, or an inverter/charger?
Old 09-12-2020, 11:08 PM   #73

THOR #9660
Quote:
Thanks for follow-up. It’s not surprising since numbers suggest 900 Ah could power relatively large loads for hours. By comparison your battery-bank is much larger than that of the Coachmen Cross Trek, which has between 330 and 400 Ah (at 12V), and they power a 3,000-Watt full-house inverter in lieu of having a generator.

Anyway, I’m also curious how you will charge that much battery capacity in reasonable time. Did you have to upgrade the converter, or an inverter/charger?
The Magnum inverter/charger will charge at 100A. We also have 400 watt solar. I am planning on another 100 watt panel in the spring. The Magnum also has a setting for the Lifeline AGM's to charge at 14.6 volts for quicker recovery.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:09 PM   #74

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
The biggest charger I know is the Xantrex XC Pro 3000 Inverter charger at 150 amps.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:47 AM   #75

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The biggest charger I know is the Xantrex XC Pro 3000 Inverter charger at 150 amps.

Magnum makes a 48V inverter/charger with charger rated at 60 Amps, which is equivalent to 240 Amps if compared to 12V. There may be other 48V inverter/chargers with even higher charge rates.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:59 AM   #76

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Nothing: As long as you also don't mind getting shot in bed...
If I get shot in bed, I want it to be by a jealous husband. Not over a damn cup of coffee.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #77

Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #15932
We have been traveling around Lake Tahoe, CA, the past several weeks, mostly dry camping.

We gave the Goal Zero Yeti I mentioned above a real workout. We found that with a full charge, we could make two cups of Keurig coffee, two batches of toast and my wife could run her hair dryer and two curling irons to fix her hair. All of this used about 25% of the available power.

Small world that it is, I happened to be browsing this hardware store in Truckee, CA, when what should I spot?? Two of the goal zero yeti machines, the exact copy of the one I'm using. It's pretty old stock the staff didn't remember they had, tucked away on a bottom shelf.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:08 AM   #78

THOR #6333
Love our Yeti 1000. Bot the fast charger so goes from empty to full in 4 hours. Plug our whole house into the Yeti by running a 10amp extension cord. Keurig mini used about 3.5% of Yeti power to make coffee. Yeti needs only 400w inverter to fast charge. I installed a 2000w inverter so we can recharge, make coffee, watch tv, run fridge on electric while driving. Tried solar but eventually bot 2000w portable gas generator as back up for extended boondocking. Carry an empty 5 gallon gas cannister which we fill before boondocking. Have softstart for A/C. Between house propane gen, port gen, Yeti and house agms we can outlast the water and holding tanks easily. That includes running a/c when needed. We have a class c sprinter.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #79

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arizona
THOR #15293
Coleman makes a great stovetop drip coffee maker for those of us who do not like perc coffee.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:08 PM   #80

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Being the the inverter is supposedly 1800 watts, it "should" be able to run a coffee maker while boondocking yes? Seems the only things on said inverter are the refrigerator, lights, water pump, heater, and outside TV, but no inside TV's or any plug in the kitchen...weird
add the wattage up of all those things.