Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2019, 09:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arkansas
THOR #6569
Coleman Mack air conditioner

My 2017 Thor Freedom Elite 22fe air conditioner is very loud plus no thermostat that I know of. Anyway to quiet it down and is the compressor cycling (I don't hear going off or on)? It seems to run all the time. Is this normal?

Old 07-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum. I think your thermostat is on the bedroom wall opposite the bed if the attached Utube video is "actually" your coach. It should control both heat and A/C. Yes most RV air conditioners can be noisy and in many cases run for long periods especially when the ambient outside temp is high; you are camped in the sun and you have the air conditioning set for low inside temperatures. The walls are not as well insulated as we would all like them to be.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:00 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Just a followup comment. After looking at the video again the salesman says the thermostat controls both heat and A/C, but the Suburban thermostat looks to me like it might be a heat only unit? That would be odd. If that is really what you are trying to clarify, I don't know where the A/C thermostat is............ but the first place I would check is on the ceiling plenum cover for the air conditioner. Does it have on/off and a temp control up on the ceiling? If yes, then this is a cost saving move by Thor......cheaper wall thermostat (heat only) and less wiring to complete (no thermo wires run from A/C to wall thermo)......less convenient and efficient for the user though since you could be running heat at the same time you are running air conditioning. If the cooling control is not on the A/C unit itself I am not sure where it would be......
Old 07-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yeah when its hot outside the unit will run constantly. You can also use some reflective bubble in your windows to reject the heat inside. That will help greatly, Try and park in the shade too.

I had ALL of my windows tinted with "Clear" (acuatlly 15%) window tint. This helped greatly and I only use the reflective bubble while parked for a while. The factory tint does nothing to reject heat. Its just a dark color on the glass.

Put a vent pillow in all your roof vents to reject even more heat.

You can try to modify your AC ceiling cover to help with noise. I was going to do mine in the spring but never got around to it. But they sell replacment covers that help. See link below.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #16397
We just got a new class C Freedom Elite 22fe and so far the only thing I don't like is the noisy ac unit. Have to go outside just to carry on a conversation. Not much difference between the hi and low settings for the fan speed either.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:34 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since they answered your question: I'll just welcome you to our Campfire!