Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2020, 01:13 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Idaho
THOR #19716
Exclamation Completely drained house batteries

Hi!
My husband and I are brand new rv owners—2019 thor chateau 24bl. This is only our 2nd trip in the rv. We had it unplugged and sitting for 3 weeks prior and then plugged in a few days before we left when we had 30 amp wiring installed at the house so we could start putting things in the fridge etc. On the day we left as soon as we unplugged and tried the generator to make sure it would fire up but it wouldn’t. House batteries are completely dead. Needless to say because of this our fridge wouldn’t work while we were on the road. I thought it would since it’s supposed to run off of propane when not plugged in. We’ve been at a campground for a day now with it shored into their power and was hoping that it would begin to recharge our house batteries but still nothing. Is it possible that we’ve completely ruined our house batteries and need to buy new ones or is there a bigger problem here?

We have another trip planned soon after this one and it’s stressful when things aren’t working correctly and because we’re not sure exactly what the problem is.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:18 AM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
maybe, maybe not... sitting for three weeks certainly would do it, if you didn't disconnect the house batteries before hand, either physically, or with a switch, if your rig has one.

The other suspect that comes to mind, though, is the 'new' 30amp RV outlet - is it the properly wired 120v NEMA 30amp for an RV? Some electricians accidentally wire it as for a clothes dryer, which is 240v and not correct for your RV. Something to check.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:22 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Sounds like your battery disconnect is open (USE/STORE switch in STORE).

Unfortunately, if your batteries are dead there is no power to close the latching relay.

Beg, borrow, or steal a battery charger or jump box or jumper cables to "jump" your house batteries. Once there is voltage on the house batteries you can close your battery disconnect and your converter will be able to charge the batteries.

Also, unfortunately, Mercedes does not allow the house batteries to be charged from the chassis engine so you have to keep a good eye on the status of your house batteries and verify they are charging when connected to Shore Power (SP)

And although your fridge will run on propane, it still needs 12 VDC from either the house batteries or the converter for control power.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:59 AM   #4
DWM

State: Michigan
THOR #19347
I am a new owner of the exact unit - Chateau 24BL (2020). This happened to me. I turned batteries off (main switch by stairwell) and that cured the problem. Now plugged into 110 by garage...but thinking of a solar panel to keep it charged in storage. Asking forum people if that will help. dwm
Old 07-26-2020, 01:43 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Sounds like your battery disconnect is open (USE/STORE switch in STORE).

Unfortunately, if your batteries are dead there is no power to close the latching relay.

Beg, borrow, or steal a battery charger or jump box or jumper cables to "jump" your house batteries. Once there is voltage on the house batteries you can close your battery disconnect and your converter will be able to charge the batteries.

Also, unfortunately, Mercedes does not allow the house batteries to be charged from the chassis engine so you have to keep a good eye on the status of your house batteries and verify they are charging when connected to Shore Power (SP)

And although your fridge will run on propane, it still needs 12 VDC from either the house batteries or the converter for control power.
You should probably go with this first. It's the most common and easiest cheapest fix. If that doesn't work, the forum likely stands ready to help.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:44 PM   #6
DWM

State: Michigan
THOR #19347
clarify DWM

turned power off "overnight" so it wouldn't discharge
Old 07-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #7

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM View Post
turned power off "overnight" so it wouldn't discharge
What power? My understanding is if you place Use/Store in Store, it won't charge the house batteries. The circuit is essentially closed. There's exceptions (parasitic draw) but your house batteries won't charge - as I understand it.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:24 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
TD,
Since the REALLY smart folks already have given you the best ideas: I'll just say, "Welcome to the forum!"
Old 07-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #9

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
TD,
Since the REALLY smart folks already have given you the best ideas: I'll just say, "Welcome to the forum!"
Don't discount yourself from the 'smart folks' so readily. I learned a few things from you too.

Say hi to DW. Hope all is as well as it can be.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:09 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm actually a part of the "Smart-@$$ Brigade"...
Old 07-26-2020, 10:12 PM   #11

THOR #12189
Quote:
I'm actually a part of the "Smart-@$$ Brigade"...
Well everybody belongs somewhere. I can think of worse places to be
Old 07-26-2020, 10:14 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We do have the best parties...
Old 07-26-2020, 10:29 PM   #13

THOR #12189
Quote:
We do have the best parties...
That I'll take to the bank.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:32 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You DO know that the invitation is always there.
Just bring your own goat and shotgun!
Old 07-26-2020, 10:40 PM   #15

THOR #12189
Quote:
You DO know that the invitation is always there.
Just bring your own goat and shotgun!
WT??? LOL...

Seriously, thank you for that. Maybe someday...and I prefer a rifle. One and done

I think we inadverantly hijacked this poor guy's thread. I'll go ahead and apologize for both of us. We should probably have these posts in Community Discussions. I don't think the forum has a humorous exchange section
Old 07-26-2020, 10:48 PM   #16

State: New Jersey
THOR #19795
I installed a 110watt solar panel, solved charging issues. No need to plug into house power at home anymore unless inside working with AC on.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:51 PM   #17

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohican View Post
I installed a 110watt solar panel, solved charging issues. No need to plug into house power at home anymore unless inside working with AC on.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:53 PM   #18

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
If your coach has the original battery from the factory then it is probably dead. The original batteries are cheap and fail within 6 to 8 months - mine did. If you have a digital voltmeter then check the voltage on the house battery with the Use/Store in the Store position. If the voltage is 11.9 or below the battery is dead.

I went to a national brand auto store that did free battery checking and installations and got fixed up in no time. They installed a battery that needs watering every few months so you’ll need to keep up on that. And to freak them out, I ordered the battery online with them watching so I could get the 20% new customer discount. My wife calls me cheap but I like” frugal.”
Old 07-26-2020, 11:42 PM   #19

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
If your coach has the original battery from the factory then it is probably dead. The original batteries are cheap and fail within 6 to 8 months - mine did. If you have a digital voltmeter then check the voltage on the house battery with the Use/Store in the Store position. If the voltage is 11.9 or below the battery is dead.

I went to a national brand auto store that did free battery checking and installations and got fixed up in no time. They installed a battery that needs watering every few months so you’ll need to keep up on that. And to freak them out, I ordered the battery online with them watching so I could get the 20% new customer discount. My wife calls me cheap but I like” frugal.”
That wasn't 'cheap'. I'm going with smart. Good for you.

Remember - A fool and his money are easily parted.

Tags
dead house batteries, fridge isn't cooling