Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29 Fe
State: North Carolina
THOR #7532
confused

today I still trying to figure out what is going on with my backup and light(interior) were not working off my house battery, so I started my unit up and checked the inverter panel and it was showing 13.9 volts,plus I am still plug into shore power, then I shut down the truck and I notice a drop in the volt on the inverter panel to 12.6, [B]what is this telling me [/[B] my quest would be that I only can charge my house battery when I have the truck crank and running, am right

Old 09-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danford50 View Post
today I still trying to figure out what is going on with my backup and light(interior) were not working off my house battery, so I started my unit up and checked the inverter panel and it was showing 13.9 volts,plus I am still plug into shore power, then I shut down the truck and I notice a drop in the volt on the inverter panel to 12.6, [B]what is this telling me [/[B] my quest would be that I only can charge my house battery when I have the truck crank and running, am right
That would seem to be pointing to a problem with your 12v converter/charger...

When running the engine - the alternator will charge both the chassis and coach batteries (after about a 2 min delay)...
Shore power or generator should likewise charge both - they power the 12v converter.

You don't list your coach in the post or your profile - but many are located under the bed.
Disconnect your coach batteries - and measure the output voltage from the converter when plugged into shore power... (Leaving the batteries connected you will read the battery voltage if higher than the converter output.)

Guessing it will be below 12v... May be a 110 circuit breaker (power to the converter) or often fuses on the converter unit itself, or of course could be the internals of the converter.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:17 AM   #3

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
In our motor home nothing behind the back of the drivers seat and inside the coach works off the chassis battery. Like wise, nothing in the cockpit works off the house batteries. Yet all charging systems charge all batteries. I thought that was pretty standard. Am I wrong??
Old 09-30-2017, 12:30 AM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
In our motor home nothing behind the back of the drivers seat and inside the coach works off the chassis battery. Like wise, nothing in the cockpit works off the house batteries. Yet all charging systems charge all batteries. I thought that was pretty standard. Am I wrong??
When batteries are isolated (no shore power, no Genny, no engine running), pretty close to that...

Common for rigs with only one radio in dash to have primary power from coach, and 'keep alive' power from chassis - allows use without key in ignition and without draining chassis battery when boondocking.

When plugged in, running Genny, or engine running, batteries are normally interconnected - - primarily for charging ...

There are exceptions to every rule within our rigs it seems... Take the time to learn yours.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote