Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2019, 10:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Texas
THOR #15708
Connect portable Dish Satelite to Aria

I only have one cable imput on my Aria and I think it is for a cable connection.

Any suggestions on how to properly connect a Dish Tailgater?

Old 11-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #2

State: New York
THOR #16783
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcricks View Post
I only have one cable imput on my Aria and I think it is for a cable connection.

Any suggestions on how to properly connect a Dish Tailgater?

What I did with my TT was disconnect the cable behind winquard connection inside the rv and installed an A/B swich. Connect the cable from outside to the input side. Then connect the switch to the winguard and the other side to a new connection for the satellite reciever. All you have to do is switch back and forth for cable or satellite .
Old 11-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #3

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
We have a Traveler dish, but in the case of camping in the trees where we don't get signal, I just unscrew the connections to that dish and hook up two tailgaters. There should be a connection up over the cab where your satellite pre-wiring is you could hook up to.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:09 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Don't try to use an 'existing' cable input/coax connection since the coach most likely has splitters within the runs and will not work with a 'power thru coax' antenna like most portables - and the King Tailgater is a good one.

Run your own coax cable from the antenna to your receiver, ever how you find best - slide seals are an easy entry/exit, existing plumbing/wiring runs can also work, and even some just run it out a window if for a simple overnight. Some of us later get really 'schematic' oriented and find unique ways and methods to run coax to various places that hide the cable, keep it secure, and make for the easiest runs to the receiver.
Since every coach is different, there's no 'specific' way to do this - you'll have to find your own way that works for you.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:06 AM   #5

Model: Tibuton 24RW
State: Missouri
THOR #14227
sat coax connection

I agree with TurnerFam.

I have been running the cable thru the slide seal for a few years. I finally installed another cable inlet box in the wall of my slide close to the TV that I have my dish hooked to...seems to work just as well and all I have to do now is connect coax from the dish the same as if it were a cable connection.

JG
Old 12-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Traveler View Post
I agree with TurnerFam.

I have been running the cable thru the slide seal for a few years. I finally installed another cable inlet box in the wall of my slide close to the TV that I have my dish hooked to...seems to work just as well and all I have to do now is connect coax from the dish the same as if it were a cable connection.

JG

Pretty much the same here! Easy peezy!
Old 12-11-2019, 09:09 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: California
THOR #11880
I ran a cable from my compartment up to my dish receiver. Then receiver to the hdmi input on the controller for all the TVs. When needed I run the cable out my compartment door to the tailgate. Mine also has the sat receiver before the dish receiver.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #8

Model: 2019 Thor Aria 3901
State: Illinois
THOR #11051
Hey Butch Jersey, Could you please post a couple pics to show what's what? Thanks, Marty Potts
Old 12-12-2019, 11:05 PM   #9
sip

State: California
THOR #5882
In our Vegas 24.1, the outside line would come in to the amplifier (switcher) that would hook in with the roof-mounted tv antenna. I just ran that wire directly to the dish box.

I have since gone with a roof-mounted dish so I manually swap wires if I ever need to use a portable antenna run in from the outside connection (if the roof one is blocked by trees).

We never use the air antenna.

I still use the remaining coax wires that go to all the tvs through the factory splitter to send the hdmi signal from the dish box .. works really well with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F6XGTO6

(need a transmitter and 3 receiver .. the receivers are powered by a USB port on each tv so it all works really well)
Old 12-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #10

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Georgia
THOR #4988
Best fix I've found.

It seems everyone has this issue. It was the same issue on our previous and current units. To make it more readily usable, you have to separate the three coax cables coming in from outside, the roof antenna, and the one going to the televisions. It's not that difficult and allows you to set things up for cable, satellite, or antenna with just moving a jumper. Pull the cover plate off and the cables will come with it. Remove the cable coming from outside and relocate it. I drilled another hole for it in the same cover and remounted it. Do the same with the single coax going to the TVs. Now you have a source for outside and another for the roof which includes the amplifier. You can then attach the satellite box to the incoming from outside and out to the TVs. If satellite isn't available, you can use cable or the roof antenna by attaching a short jumper from the outside (cable) or antenna to the TV outlet. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is. But it has worked well for us on both units. My wife made labels for the three coax connections so I dont have to remember which is which.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:56 PM   #11

Model: quantum SE28
State: Florida
THOR #15598
connect portable dishtailgater to rv

You will need to isolate the cable internal to the rv. The circuit that has the cable/on board tv switch blocks the signal from the tailgater. you will need to reconfigure the cabling with an a/b switch. that way the on board circuit card is out of the circuit when you want to use the tailgater.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:14 AM   #12
Ghh

Model: A. C. E. 30.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya View Post
It seems everyone has this issue. It was the same issue on our previous and current units. To make it more readily usable, you have to separate the three coax cables coming in from outside, the roof antenna, and the one going to the televisions. It's not that difficult and allows you to set things up for cable, satellite, or antenna with just moving a jumper. Pull the cover plate off and the cables will come with it. Remove the cable coming from outside and relocate it. I drilled another hole for it in the same cover and remounted it. Do the same with the single coax going to the TVs. Now you have a source for outside and another for the roof which includes the amplifier. You can then attach the satellite box to the incoming from outside and out to the TVs. If satellite isn't available, you can use cable or the roof antenna by attaching a short jumper from the outside (cable) or antenna to the TV outlet. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is. But it has worked well for us on both units. My wife made labels for the three coax connections so I dont have to remember which is which.
Thanks. Now that’s the answer I’ve been looking for. I’ll give it a try in hooking up my Dish Antenna through the outside cable input.

Tags
aria, dish, satelite