Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #2558
Question Considering a 2016 Hurricane 34J

Hi All,

We are looking to upgrade to a newer Class A RV. We have been looking at pre-owned, not considering anything new...until we saw the 2016 34J (was not planning on looking at it, it happened to be parked next to one we were looking at). It has everything I'm looking for in an RV (plus a little), but am nervous about buying a Thor. I've heard so much bad, I would love to hear some good! Anyone?

I did read the posts about the new frameless windows, so will need to go back and see if that will be an issue for me.

Hoping the new 3trax system is better than Thor's original system for the wall slide, any opinions on it?

The '16 comes with night shades only (tinted windows). Coming from day/night, I'm wondering if I will miss the day shades (I very rarely use them now).

I was excited about the bunk in the front, but have read some things that have me worried. Anyone not have any issues with it?

My current RV (09 Hurricane) was purchased pre-owned, so I didn't have to go through the new RV thing. It has been mostly good to me, with some normal stuff, and a couple big ticket items, along the way.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9coach View Post
Hi All,

We are looking to upgrade to a newer Class A RV. We have been looking at pre-owned, not considering anything new...until we saw the 2016 34J (was not planning on looking at it, it happened to be parked next to one we were looking at). It has everything I'm looking for in an RV (plus a little), but am nervous about buying a Thor. I've heard so much bad, I would love to hear some good! Anyone?

Read the Tiffen, Newmar, Winnebago, Fleetwood, and Coachman message boards. They ALL have issues. I owned a Fleetwood Pace Arrow and a Winnebago Vista before my Thor and they had much more severe issues, (a blown tranny, and a rear end cap fell off).

I did read the posts about the new frameless windows, so will need to go back and see if that will be an issue for me.

Yes, they do not allow natural air circulation or a cross breeze when all the windows are open. But almost all brands have them now.

Hoping the new 3trax system is better than Thor's original system for the wall slide, any opinions on it?

I have been monitoring the message boards and haven't seen one post with an owner of the 3trax. Yet.

The '16 comes with night shades only (tinted windows). Coming from day/night, I'm wondering if I will miss the day shades (I very rarely use them now).

My '14 only has night shades.

I was excited about the bunk in the front, but have read some things that have me worried. Anyone not have any issues with it?

My bunk was repaired under warranty. All the Schwintek hardware was replaced. I have had no problems with it after the repair. The key is to NEVER partially lower or lift. Only complete up or down. It has worked flawlessly several dozens of times in the past year.

My current RV (09 Hurricane) was purchased pre-owned, so I didn't have to go through the new RV thing. It has been mostly good to me, with some normal stuff, and a couple big ticket items, along the way.

In the world of motorhomes your '09 is still a baby. Unless if it is really falling apart, the $ saved will buy a a whole lot of gas and RVpark/campground fees, especially if you own it outright.
But, a new coach is always fun and nice too!
Thanks in advance.
Oh, and the new 2016 F53's, (make sure it doesn't have last year's chassis), have a six speed tranny!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #2558
Thanks Beacher, appreciate you taking the time to respond. All good stuff, and what I really expected. I've read so much the last couple days, I got myself worked up about it lol

The one we looked at is at a show, so if we buy it, I will expect to have the front bunk fixed under warranty (it will likely be used every trip)

Yup, my rig is young, but she's been driven a LOT. Time to move on. She's perfect for the family that wants to do a couple trips a year. I do about 15-20 trips a year (usually 3 day weekends traveling 200-300 miles from home)

This '16 rig will come with a '15 chassis, 5-speed. Honestly, I was going to buy used, so the 2016, 6-speed, would have never been an option. I will be interested in seeing how it works out. Are they even out yet?