Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2016, 01:08 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Contemplating second AC unit in bedroom Thor Ace 30.1

I'm contemplating installing an AC unit in the bedroom of my Ace 30.1.
Installing the unit in the existing fantastic fan opening is not a problem.
I'm just wondering what my options are for getting 120 volts to the unit?

Old 05-13-2016, 02:15 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I can't answer your specific question, but suggest that as you plan a second AC, that you also consider that if you have 30-amp electrical (standard for your model), you will likely be limited to running one AC at the time. Also, if you have a 4,000-watt generator, you probably won't be able to run both at same time either.

If your goal is to run both ACs simultaneously, you may have to upgrade to 50-Amp service. Just food for thought.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:01 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If you have one single 13.5K AC unit you may want to consider upgrading it to a 15K unit instead of adding a second. A 15K AC unit should keep a 30 foot coach feeling like an ice box. If you upgrade you might want to consider a unit with built in heat strips for use on chilly mornings as well.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #4

THOR #2121
Dave, 2016 ACE specs show 15K AC is the standard, although I don't know what model year is being discussed. I'd guess it's already 15K regardless.

In my opinion, unless they plan to run both ACs at same time, I'm not sure it will solve much of a problem -- assuming one sleeps in bedroom at night when heat load is a lot lower.

For what it's worth, I've never been "cold" in middle of day in summer when parked in sun. I can see where a 15K AC may not be enough in a 30-foot motorhome under some conditions.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #5

THOR #3952
We stayed at the local campground this weekend. The AC just didn't feel as cold as we thought it should. I took it to the local dealer and they said nothing was wrong with it. It is the 15 k unit. Maybe we just expected too much of it.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #6

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
We stayed at the local campground this weekend. The AC just didn't feel as cold as we thought it should. I took it to the local dealer and they said nothing was wrong with it. It is the 15 k unit. Maybe we just expected too much of it.
I anticipated you wanted more capacity rather than just a different location in bedroom, which is why I mentioned that normally you can't run 2 air conditioners on a 30-Amp service. An upgrade to 50 Amp would likely be needed. In theory two high-efficiency 13.5K air conditioners may run on 30-Amp service, but even if it worked there would not be enough reserve to run anything major at same time unless you turned one air conditioner off.

By the way, I've camped in various motorhomes (granted many were rentals so there was no way of knowing condition of AC) and in almost all cases cooling capacity was lacking when in hot areas and parked in sun. At night they worked fine for the most part. If at all possible it's best to park where direct sunlight doesn't come through windows, particularly the larger windshield. I've found that shade in general makes a huge difference.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
By the way, I've camped in various motorhomes (granted many were rentals so there was no way of knowing condition of AC) and in almost all cases cooling capacity was lacking when in hot areas and parked in sun. At night they worked fine for the most part. If at all possible it's best to park where direct sunlight doesn't come through windows, particularly the larger windshield. I've found that shade in general makes a huge difference.
Speaking of that: The ACE is a Class-A with a huge front windshield.

Hittntherooad: Do you have a cover for the front windshield? I'm not just saying lower the curtains in the front, but a cover for the outside of the windshield? After a few weekends camping in our Axis we noticed a huge heat load from the fishbowl in the front. We've since picked up a front windshield cover (a Sunguard RV windshield cover). It has greatly reduced the amount of heat inside the camper on a hot day (and also prevents curious onlookers from looking in--in the daytime). In many cases, now, we don't even have to run the A/C.

If you want to see our cover, look at the 2nd post here:
Busy day with the Axis

A cover may be a much cheaper solution than attempting to wedge in another A/C unit.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:59 AM   #8

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Speaking of that: The ACE is a Class-A with a huge front windshield.

Hittntherooad: Do you have a cover for the front windshield? I'm not just saying lower the curtains in the front, but a cover for the outside of the windshield? After a few weekends camping in our Axis we noticed a huge heat load from the fishbowl in the front. We've since picked up a front windshield cover (a Sunguard RV windshield cover). It has greatly reduced the amount of heat inside the camper on a hot day (and also prevents curious onlookers from looking in--in the daytime). In many cases, now, we don't even have to run the A/C.

If you want to see our cover, look at the 2nd post here:
Busy day with the Axis

A cover may be a much cheaper solution than attempting to wedge in another A/C unit.
Looks like something I need to try. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:16 AM   #9

Model: A.C.E 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #4139
Ace 30.2

I have a ACE 30.2 and have bought the silver auto windshield screens the kind that fold out for cars on the inside. "get the extra thick ones" and cut to fit ALL the windows in the RV. Just set them inside shades and pull shades down, it dramatically reduced the amount of heat coming through the Glass. We really never look out the windows anyway.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:32 AM   #10

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianA.C.E View Post
I have a ACE 30.2 and have bought the silver auto windshield screens the kind that fold out for cars on the inside. "get the extra thick ones" and cut to fit ALL the windows in the RV. Just set them inside shades and pull shades down, it dramatically reduced the amount of heat coming through the Glass. We really never look out the windows anyway.
I like this idea also.
Thanks
Old 05-14-2016, 03:39 AM   #11

Model: Windsport34F
State: California
THOR #3382
1 AC Unit

There have been long discussions on several boards about maximizing the cooling from the single ceiling mounted unit in many motorhomes.

It seems that if you have the plenum that allows you to switch air flow between the plenum, and ceiling mounted outlets, there are several adjustments, and after market products, to address this issue. There is apparently a lot of mixture of cooled, and non cooled air, as a result of the plenum design.

I am sorry I don't have the links, but they aren't hard to find. Many people reported greatly improved cooling efficiency with several of the modifications suggested.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #12

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Does anyone make a foil windshield cover that fits 2016 axis 25.2?
Old 05-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I use foil when our unit is in storage and not covered. I just purchased 3 of the 4' X 10' foil panels from Campingworld and cut them to size:
Multi-Purpose Foil, 4' x 10' - Direcsource Ltd AO2012-003 - Window Covers - Camping World
I even had enough spare to make a small piece to cover the skylight in the bathroom (to keep the sunlight from fading the walls there over time).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:45 PM   #14

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
This stuff from Home Depot works really well. I have also used it to make covers for my paddle boards and the foil/bubble wrap has held up for 1000's of miles on my roof:

Reflectix 48 in. x 25 ft. Double Reflective Insulation-BP48025 - The Home Depot
Old 05-14-2016, 06:54 PM   #15

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I would suspect if the vents on the A/C in the living area are wide open there would be fairly little cool air coming out the ceiling vents in the bedroom.

We have the 15K on our Vegas 24.1. I closed the vents on the ceiling unit in the living area so all the cool air is re-directed to all the round ceiling ducts. My wife is really sensitive to heat and as I've said several times elsewhere on this forum, she gets the Vegas down to meat locker levels -- including the bedroom -- here in FL in the summer and in the sun. The Ace is only about 3 ft longer so I'm surprised it isn't getting cooler.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:04 AM   #16

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Does anyone make a foil windshield cover that fits 2016 axis 25.2?
I bought one for inside the front windshield at CW in Tampa recently, but can't find it on their website. It fits well, and was only around $12. We use car windshield covers in the bedroom, cut the back one to fit, and fold the ones for the side windows. Didn't pay too much for them at WMt.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Hittntherooad, In a previous rv we used a small fan, on low, to move cool air around. Once we figured out the best place for the fan, the problem was solved. In our Windsport it took a little time to "tweak" the the ceiling vents to achieve the balance we were comfortable with.

John & Diane
Willard, OH
Old 05-21-2016, 02:24 AM   #18

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
We added the second A/C unit to our 30.2

Greetings from South Florida!!
We have the larger size A/C unit in the main area, but A/C's can only cool so much, humidity reduces the efficiency even more, and the entire coach is a heat sink. We travel a bit, and do not need it everywhere, but it has been a lifesaver.
So, put the A/C in the fan/hatch opening in the bedroom, run the electric cable (high insulation version) inside the ceiling panel, and down to the generator. We keep it coiled above the generator. We carry a 50A splitter (on Amazon) cable, so we can run the coach and the extra A/C off the 30A and 20A splits. Where a 50A isn't available, most sites have a 30A and a 15 or 20A available. We have never had a problem finding the power when we needed it. It is not connected through the coachs' electric panel, but instead is a stand alone plug in.
Works like a charm, and helps everyone keep their cool.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #19

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
Greetings from South Florida!!
We have the larger size A/C unit in the main area, but A/C's can only cool so much, humidity reduces the efficiency even more, and the entire coach is a heat sink. We travel a bit, and do not need it everywhere, but it has been a lifesaver.
So, put the A/C in the fan/hatch opening in the bedroom, run the electric cable (high insulation version) inside the ceiling panel, and down to the generator. We keep it coiled above the generator. We carry a 50A splitter (on Amazon) cable, so we can run the coach and the extra A/C off the 30A and 20A splits. Where a 50A isn't available, most sites have a 30A and a 15 or 20A available. We have never had a problem finding the power when we needed it. It is not connected through the coachs' electric panel, but instead is a stand alone plug in.
Works like a charm, and helps everyone keep their cool.
This is probably the option I will do. Will be good to just have it as a back up too.