Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2023, 10:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Arizona
THOR #11568
Solar problems on 2018 Thor Aria 3901

I知 not positive if this is the correct way to start a new question, but I am not getting anything to the batteries from the solar panels. It is bright sunshine in Mesa AZ and I am seeing the Moon/nite time symbol on the GrapeSolar charge controller. It is only showing 1.3 volts and no amps. I am on shore power at this time, but I thought I should see higher voltage. Any ideas or comment痴 would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1871.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	43687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1872.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	43688  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1870.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	43689  

Old 09-28-2023, 03:49 AM   #2

State: Idaho
THOR #9660
First, check the voltage from your panels with a multimeter. If nothing at the controller, check the connections on the roof where they go into the cover. And check the voltage there. If you have voltage on the roof, but not at the controller, its probably a wiring issue. I had to replace both of the wires on our 2018. I believe, but could not find, that the wires were rubbing on the bed slide and shorted out. I ran new ones down next to the drain vents and across the coach to the controller. Wasn't fun, but not too bad. No problems in the 3 or 4 years since.
Old 09-28-2023, 02:43 PM   #3

THOR #11568

Thanks for the reply. I will try checking that today. I was seeing the 1.4 volts with a multimeter at the controller so I thought wiring would be ok. But will check voltage at the connector above and will let you know
Old 09-28-2023, 03:15 PM   #4

THOR #11568

Just checked the voltage and have 1.4 V at solar panel connection and at controller wires coming in. Just a hazy sun but I should get better than that. When I 1st checked, I had 1.4V at the solar panel but saw 20.1V at the controller, but reversed polarity. Checked again and both were at the 1.4V. Something is wrong
Old 09-28-2023, 05:42 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
How many solar panels, what wattage and age? In full sun a typical single 100 watt panel should output about 5 amps at 18 volts. That's for solid panels.

Flexible panels are prone to failure from breakage of the small thin solder joints between cells. Usually not an issue with solid glass panels
Old 09-28-2023, 07:31 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebo53AZ View Post
I知 not positive if this is the correct way to start a new question, but I am not getting anything to the batteries from the solar panels. It is bright sunshine in Mesa AZ and I am seeing the Moon/nite time symbol on the GrapeSolar charge controller. It is only showing 1.3 volts and no amps. I am on shore power at this time, but I thought I should see higher voltage. Any ideas or comment痴 would be appreciated
You are on shore power. Is your battery bank full?
Old 09-28-2023, 11:06 PM   #7

THOR #11568

I have the standard 100 watt flat panel that came standard on the Aria and it is 4/5 years old. It should put out 12-24 V. I知 in bright sun and still seeing the 1.3 volt output. I think the panel itself has gone bad based on the voltage reading. I have kept it washed and use 303 protectant on it when I coat the roof but that should not hurt it. I知 boon docking in Mexican Hat, UT in October for the eclipse so I may see if I can get it checked in Cottonwood when I leave Phoenix for home.
Old 09-28-2023, 11:07 PM   #8

THOR #11568
I am on shore power and batteries are full right now, but it should show output I think
Old 09-29-2023, 01:27 AM   #9

THOR #16721
Here's my suggestion... take it for what it's worth:

Make sure the cables from the roof to the controller are in good shape... as in no shorts, etc.

Then replace your panel with a new 200 watt one. A Rich Solar 200 watt monocrystalline panel is $180... and a simple install. It will deliver around 9 amps in full sun.

P.S. It's not necessary to use cleaners or any type of protectant (like 303) on glass panels... just rinse them occasionally to remove excess dirt.
Old 09-29-2023, 03:07 AM   #10

THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebo53AZ View Post
I am on shore power and batteries are full right now, but it should show output I think
If your batteries are full, where is output juice going to go?

Unplug, let your batteries drop some then check your solar controller
Old 09-30-2023, 03:32 PM   #11

Model: Outlaw 38KB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #30313
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
If your batteries are full, where is output juice going to go?

Unplug, let your batteries drop some then check your solar controller
Macdaddy is correct! If your battery's are around 13.6 volts the solar charger doesn't try to charge you batteries, they are top off. Turn off your solar charger, disconnect from shore power and then turn on all your lights for 1/2 hour. Do not connect to shore power, after 1/2 hour turn on the solar controller, then see if your solar is working.
Greg
1999 Valkyrie Interstate W\2001 Lehman Predator Trike Kit (Mine)
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic, full dresser (Hers)
gcscott01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 05:18 PM   #12

THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcscott01 View Post
Macdaddy is correct! If your battery's are around 13.6 volts the solar charger doesn't try to charge you batteries, they are top off. Turn off your solar charger, disconnect from shore power and then turn on all your lights for 1/2 hour. Do not connect to shore power, after 1/2 hour turn on the solar controller, then see if your solar is working.
Greg
Awesome!
Old 09-30-2023, 05:26 PM   #13

THOR #16721
OP stated he's getting 1.4 VOLTS at the controller. If everything was working as expected and batteries were full, the controller would be showing something less than an AMP at something like 13.5 VOLTS.

He stated he's only getting 1.4 VOLTS from the panels in full hazy sun... No mention of AMPS. But 1.4 volts is NOT normal, and would indicate an open circuit within the panel.

The pics posted clearly show 1.3 VOLTS, zero AMPS and the battery output at 12.8 VOLTS... which is not fully charged.
Old 09-30-2023, 06:30 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
OP stated he's getting 1.4 VOLTS at the controller. If everything was working as expected and batteries were full, the controller would be showing something less than an AMP at something like 13.5 VOLTS.

He stated he's only getting 1.4 VOLTS from the panels in full hazy sun... No mention of AMPS. But 1.4 volts is NOT normal, and would indicate an open circuit within the panel.

The pics posted clearly show 1.3 VOLTS, zero AMPS and the battery output at 12.8 VOLTS... which is not fully charged.
I agree: OP is not getting any charging from the solar panels because he is not getting sufficient voltage from the solar panels.
Could be a wiring connection problem
Could be a panel problem
Could be a shading problem

Shade on only a fraction of a series solar panel makes that panel inoperative.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 08:05 PM   #15

THOR #11568
Thanks for the responses. I’ve checked voltage at the connections from the panel and at the controller and both agree at about 1.3 volts. I purchased a 200 watt panel as suggested and should get it next week to try more troubleshooting. The only strange think I’ve seen is I did get 19-20V a couple times at the controller with the multimeter but don’t see that voltage on the controller readout. I’m wondering if something broke loose in the panel itself. If the new panel works as expected and sends voltage/amperage thru, I will see if my extended plan will cover a new panel to replace the one on top. I will keep you posted as to what I find when I get the new one, hopefully next Thursday. Thanks again for the help
Old 10-01-2023, 01:25 PM   #16

THOR #16721
The panel will have the specs usually on a label on the back side of the panel. Carefully verify the Open Circuit Voltage of your new panel before installation with your volt meter. It should be something over 20 volts in full sun.

After installation, check the voltage again at the cables before connecting to the controller.

After connecting the panel to the controller (but BEFORE connecting the battery), you SHOULD get a solid 13+ volts on the readout... the output lugs should reflect this reading when checked with your meter. If not, I would suspect an issue with your controller.
Old 10-06-2023, 01:02 AM   #17

THOR #11568
The Rich Solar 200 watt solar panel arrived and I checked the output in full sun and got 23.4 Volts at the output. The Aria has the Grape Solar GS PWM40BT controller which is standard. I’m ready to drop the battery voltage and hook the panel to the controller where the defective original roof panel is connected. Any additional words of wisdom on making the connection. I think the controller can handle an additional panel and has additional lugs showing the load. Has anyone hooked the 200 watt panel or and additional panel to that controller. Thanks for any help as always
Old 10-06-2023, 02:55 AM   #18

THOR #16721
It looks like your controller is rated for 40 amps... so it could technically handle two of those panels.

I would strongly urge covering the panel with something opaque - like the box it came in - so it's not generating any power. Turn your battery disconnect switch OFF.

Then you should be safe to make connections. DOUBLE CHECK your connections, then turn ON the battery disconnect switch. If you're showing 13+ volts, you should be good. Uncover the panel and check the amperage on your controller.

Note: I don't know the size or type of your battery bank, but I would recommend putting what's called a catastrophic fuse on the positive battery terminal your solar is hooked to. If you have two 12volt batteries in parallel, this is the battery your house battery cable connects to.

Take the total amperage rating of your battery bank and add 25%. Get what's called a terminal fuse holder and appropriate sized terminal fuse... install that on that positive battery post.

If there was ever a short in the solar panel, cabling etc. the fuse blows... NOT your batteries. Highly unlikely... but I prefer the safe route. Just good practice.
Old 10-06-2023, 02:56 PM   #19

THOR #11568
Just got hooked up and all looks good. Showing 13.1V and 6.24A and battery at 95%. I have morning sun with the panel at an angle and just hooked in with 10 gauge wires for test. Running off the batteries and inverter for test. I have 4-6V gel battery pack for the house batteries. Will keep a google eye on it today and test it for a day or two. I will also start looking at removing the original panel on the Aria and seeing if I can install this one in its place. The original wiring appears to be fine but I was only getting 1.4V out of that panel. I think that original one has a broken connection somewhere inside. Thanks for all the help and I will give updates on how it is doing.
Old 10-15-2023, 01:07 AM   #20

State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
You have the 30 Amp charge controller like on my 3901 and I'm glad that it was a bad panel and not wiring. These forums have some very intelligent people to assist each other out. I have the same controller and run 360 Watts of solar. Works like a champ for maintaining my 4 6V gel cell GC batteries. We don't boondock (except for an occasional night at Walmart/Cracker barrel) so never drain the batteries completely. Good info.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote