Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Schwintek controller flashing, slide works

I was scoping out the install for a solar controller and I noticed that my Schwintek slide controller is flashing. I'm getting 8 red flashes and one green flash which seems to say a short in motor no. 1. However the slide is operating normally.

I haven't started to troubleshoot, but it seems to me that that if there was a real problem, the slide would either not work, or only one motor would work which would result in a very uneven motion of the slide.

Anyone seen this behavior?

One other issue is that occurs with both slides is that if the slide has been closed for some time, pressing the open switch won't work until I press the close switch. When I push the close switch, the slide will move in another 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Then the slides will open. When closing the slide we always hold the switch down for 10-15 seconds in order to synch the motors. Its acting like it thinks the slide isn't closed all the way. Comments?

Old 10-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
It is possible that the controller is bad. Mine was flashing the code for hall power and Thor advised that was a motor. They sent me the motor and after several attempts, I got it changed only to find out the old motor was good, but the controller was bad. I swapped the overhead bed controller in and all worked fine. You could try that as changing a controller is WAY easier than the darn motor. Thor sent me a controller and all is good.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:46 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post

One other issue is that occurs with both slides is that if the slide has been closed for some time, pressing the open switch won't work until I press the close switch. When I push the close switch, the slide will move in another 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Then the slides will open. When closing the slide we always hold the switch down for 10-15 seconds in order to synch the motors. Its acting like it thinks the slide isn't closed all the way. Comments?
Mine does the same. I notice it when the power is off at the use/store switch for a while. When placed in the Use position the slide won't activate until I press the switch to the retract position. The slide doesn't move in at all but then works perfectly when extending. It does not fail to extend without first pressing the retract switch when traveling and the Store/Use switch remains in the Use position. Yes, I too always hold the switch to a count of 5 Mississippi with a southern drawl, so its probably closer to 10 Mississippi really. I suspect the poor controller gets its brain scrambled with the power on and off. Maybe, maybe not, but it works fine after first going to retract position. It's happy, I'm happy.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:26 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
When my controller flashed, it was the ground issue. I found 2 things. The main chassis ground was not a great ground so I stripped the paint to bare metal, reattached the chassis ground and coated it with protectant and undercoating spray. The second issue was the pin connector from controller to motor had a recessed ground pin that did not make good contact. I pulled it apart, lengthened the pin with needle nose pliers and carefully reconnected it. Have not had and controller errors since.
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I also had the flashing lights on both controllers. I turned off all power to the mh and called LCI and Thor. Both didnt know why both controllers would be flashing and still working fine. I searched LCI site and found instructions on how to reset the controller. Very simple. Just double tap the extend switch.

Couple weeks later I went back to the mh and powered it back up. THe slider controller wasnt flashing anymore. Overhead bed was still flashing. Did the double tap on the switch and no more flashing.

Both Thor and LCI were nice and tried to be helpful but why didnt either of them know about the reset. Both documented the problem and said if it stopped working they would take care of it.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:59 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Surprise, Surprise! I had the same issue. The tech at Total Value RV told me, he pulled the wires, re-striped them and plugged it back in. Hasn't happened since.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:40 PM   #7

THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I also had the flashing lights on both controllers. I turned off all power to the mh and called LCI and Thor. Both didnt know why both controllers would be flashing and still working fine. I searched LCI site and found instructions on how to reset the controller. Very simple. Just double tap the extend switch.

Couple weeks later I went back to the mh and powered it back up. THe slider controller wasnt flashing anymore. Overhead bed was still flashing. Did the double tap on the switch and no more flashing.

Both Thor and LCI were nice and tried to be helpful but why didnt either of them know about the reset. Both documented the problem and said if it stopped working they would take care of it.

Jerry
Jerry,

I got out to the coach today and tried your reset trick. It did the job. The controller is no longer flashing and the slide works. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:13 AM   #8

THOR #3156
Glad it worked for you
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #9

Model: 42FK
State: Oklahoma
THOR #12199
Quote:

Jerry
Are you talking about the rocker switch to extend or retract the slide or the reset button on the controller outside the coach? It probably is different on your coach, as I have a Tuscany. We are having problems with our rear driver slide extending then it retracts on its own a few minutes later. I thought I would give this a try anyway. Thanks
Old 02-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #10

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyoung View Post
Are you talking about the rocker switch to extend or retract the slide or the reset button on the controller outside the coach? It probably is different on your coach, as I have a Tuscany. We are having problems with our rear driver slide extending then it retracts on its own a few minutes later. I thought I would give this a try anyway. Thanks
yes switch to extend and retract
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-04-2019, 04:45 PM   #11

Model: 42FK
State: Oklahoma
THOR #12199
Quote:
yes switch to extend and retract

It worked! Thanks.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #12

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Maryland
THOR #12424
I also have the same experience with both of my slides. I finally found that when I put it in Store then Use twice consecutively without putting the slides in or out (which is common when just going in and out getting things between trips, no need to extend slides) is when the error code will occur. Same error for motor 1 for both controllers. For me it doesn't seem to matter which way I hit the switch to reset them, normally I hold extend for a few seconds and if it doesn't do anything i let go and hold it again and then it will go.

It is hard to explain (or at least the dealer acted like they could not comprehend) so let me give an example.

Put in to Store mode, put into Use mode. No error. Put into Store mode a second time, put into Use mode a second time. Error. (hit the switch to clear)

Put in to Store mode, put into Use mode. No error. Put slide out. Put into Store mode a second time, put into Use mode a second time. NO Error. Put into Store mode a third time (twice consecutively), put into Use mode a third time. Error.

Thor and LCI said they thought it was a ground as well. I had it to the dealer twice and they replaced the controller, motor 1, cable from motor 1 to controller, and said they checked all the grounds involved and it still does it. So they got Thor to provide a letter saying it was expected behavior when the power was removed and put back to the motor home. Because even if you swap motor 1 and motor 2 cables on the controller the error always says motor 1, which indicates it is not really a motor problem.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:22 AM   #13

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
In the Thor system guide it say to push the retract before you extend and extend before you retract. It also says to hold the button for a few seconds after you extend and retract.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:24 AM   #14

THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
In the Thor system guide it say to push the retract before you extend and extend before you retract. It also says to hold the button for a few seconds after you extend and retract.
I find that many times I have to push the retract button first if the slide has been in for a long time. The slide moves less than 1/4" and then the extend button works.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:38 AM   #15

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
thanks for this thread... my 2019 is doing the same thing...error light, but works..
Old 02-09-2019, 02:40 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Both my controllers did the same thing. Reset and all has been fine since last May. Glad to learn about the double tap.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:11 AM   #17

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quick response: each time you extend and retract the slides, wait for total silence and count to 3 Mississippi. That's not a joke. You need to let the motors find center and signal the controller they're in sync.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:36 AM   #18

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
I was scoping out the install for a solar controller and I noticed that my Schwintek slide controller is flashing. I'm getting 8 red flashes and one green flash which seems to say a short in motor no. 1. However the slide is operating normally.

I haven't started to troubleshoot, but it seems to me that that if there was a real problem, the slide would either not work, or only one motor would work which would result in a very uneven motion of the slide.

Anyone seen this behavior?

I've noticed the same on our 17 Challenger 37 TB.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:47 AM   #19

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyoung View Post
Wow just hope it never decides to Extend, while driving down the, road ! ! !