Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #8264
To cover or not

We purchased our 29M a few weeks ago. So far so good. The dealer, Camping World, told us not to cover the RV. The tech said it was not a good idea. We live in the northeast and was hoping to get some other opinions.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
When I lived in Indiana I did not cover the coach, I did put covers on the AC units and the tires. My opinion and experience has been that no matter how tightly you tie down a cover the wind will get it loose and scratch the paint or ladder.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I agree. Covers eventually have issues no matter how tight they are. I had a cover ripped to shreds here in the northeast during a rough winter. I finally pulled the trigger on an RV carport which keeps the unit out of the sun in summer and away from the elements in the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontPic.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	5927  
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
For the opposing opinion: We cover our Axis every winter. So far no scratches from the cover and it has stayed put. Frankly I think our finish has held up a little better having the unit covered for 6 months of the year.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
For me - in addition to the debate over whether it helps - is the convenience factor of just being able to go start it up and go anytime - without wrestling a cover off and back on...
I want to do what I can to protect the 'investment' - but if it discourages use - kinda misses the mark.

I expect Jamie only covers for the long Michigan 'storage season'... and doesn't intend to use the rig for extended time...

In my case when in Michigan, we headed south mid winter. The thought of wrestling a cover off with snow/ice on it so I could head south was never appealing.. Was enough of a concern if I would be able to get out of the storage lot... (one time had to use the jacks to lift a side from the ice - get salt/boards down... then repeat on other side... a cover too would have been a mess...)

Now living in Florida, I'm much more likely to take it out at any point living in the south, so a cover I have to put on/off is even less attractive.

The RV car port to me is ideal - but expensive - and needs the space... I do have room at my current house in Florida - and deciding what I want to do... Right now it is shaded for a good part of the day - but certainly a carport would offer more protection...
(with Florida's hurricane construction requirements - likely more expensive to do here than in other parts of the country...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
For me - in addition to the debate over whether it helps - is the convenience factor of just being able to go start it up and go anytime - without wrestling a cover off and back on...
I want to do what I can to protect the 'investment' - but if it discourages use - kinda misses the mark.

I expect Jamie only covers for the long Michigan 'storage season'... and doesn't intend to use the rig for extended time...

In my case when in Michigan, we headed south mid winter. The thought of wrestling a cover off with snow/ice on it so I could head south was never appealing.. Was enough of a concern if I would be able to get out of the storage lot... (one time had to use the jacks to lift a side from the ice - get salt/boards down... then repeat on other side... a cover too would have been a mess...)

Now living in Florida, I'm much more likely to take it out at any point living in the south, so a cover I have to put on/off is even less attractive.

The RV car port to me is ideal - but expensive - and needs the space... I do have room at my current house in Florida - and deciding what I want to do... Right now it is shaded for a good part of the day - but certainly a carport would offer more protection...
(with Florida's hurricane construction requirements - likely more expensive to do here than in other parts of the country...)
Yes: Its covered during the "storage" season and doesn't get uncovered until the white packing material on the top and around the ground has all been removed.

When we traded in the 5er for the Axis it was the middle of Feb and the 5er was stuck in the ice. That took a couple of jacks to free it so we could drag it to the dealer and pickup the new unit.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:54 PM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
We saw severe snow storms in the north while watching tv in Arizona last winter & hopefully that's as close as I ever get to snow/freezing temperatures again, I warmed right up as soon as I changed the channel.
As far as covering my rv I don't now & most likely never would, too much wind, too heavy to hoist up/down, & once it gets dust under & flaps in the wind it has to scratch every corner I'd think. We have friends that lived in Maine & covered theirs every winter, but he said after buying 3 covers in 5 years that it would just get covered in snow & he said he was also getting too old to be hauling up every year.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:04 AM   #8

THOR #5196
To me the biggest danger is snow and ice in and around the rooftop AC units. The buildup of snow and ice combined with the freeze thaw cycle can do serous damage, which is why I only covered the AC units.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:28 AM   #9

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
I'm going to be parking in a neighborhood where RV parking isn't ok, but I have a spot where I can park it behind a retaining wall on which I'm putting a privacy fence, which will reach 12 - 13' above the ground where the RV will be.

I would love to put an RV carport back there, but I've not found one that is either flat or very low pitch, so that both my Vegas and a carport will be hidden behind what amounts to a 12' privacy fence.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:33 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Minnesota
THOR #7110
The Sun is your enemy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yes: Its covered during the "storage" season and doesn't get uncovered until the white packing material on the top and around the ground has all been removed.

When we traded in the 5er for the Axis it was the middle of Feb and the 5er was stuck in the ice. That took a couple of jacks to free it so we could drag it to the dealer and pickup the new unit.
I too will be covering mine when purchased! white stuff and plus the sun is your biggest enemy!! do you have a source and approximate cost. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
If I could build a carport or similar permanent cover I would do so but after doing my research and looking at several covered units in my storage yard I have decided against a fabric cover. I watched a couple struggle to put one on in a gentle breeze - it took them over an hour - and seeing the damage they caused to other units from wind and water I decided to take my chances with Indiana sun and snow. I'm keeping it waxed and parking it facing different directions in the storage yard to try to keep fading more or less balanced. Hoping for the best.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fortheRoad View Post
I too will be covering mine when purchased! white stuff and plus the sun is your biggest enemy!! do you have a source and approximate cost. Thanks.
We just picked up the appropriately sized class C cover from campingworld. Used a class C cover because they fit the Axis/Vegas units better than a class A cover.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #13

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
THOR #6059
To cover or not

I chose to cover my previous MH, only to have the finish damaged by thousands of tiny scratches in the finish over a three year period in South Florida. I bought very nice top grade covers each time, but they usually on lasted about two years in the intense sun, heat and rain that we have here. Then the fine scratches would allow mold and dirt to get a foothold and I would have to work harder at washing etc. I always washed and waxed my rig befor covering it. It all just became a pain to me, we used our MH often so I was always covering and uncovering it.
With our new ACE, I decided to go with a permanent RV port and I'm quite glad that I did. It sets next to my house protected form the sun and rain. I can go out and work on it anytime I want and not have to uncover it. I can hop in and take it for a drive and keep a better eye on things.
The RV port cost was reasonable (3,800.00) verses a paid storage facility or the hassles of covering each time.
The company that I chose was able to meet or exceed Florida and my strict County building codes.
I do realize that many people do not have the room or building codes to allow them to build this type of cover, I was lucky to be able to.
There are many who have built awesome RV garages too, I just couldn't justify that expense at this point, maybe some day if I move up to a bigger coach😊

Steven B
S/W Florida
2017 ACE 30.3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0985.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	6004   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0990.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	6005  

Old 08-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: New York
THOR #6597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenb2560 View Post
I chose to cover my previous MH, only to have the finish damaged by thousands of tiny scratches in the finish over a three year period in South Florida. I bought very nice top grade covers each time, but they usually on lasted about two years in the intense sun, heat and rain that we have here. Then the fine scratches would allow mold and dirt to get a foothold and I would have to work harder at washing etc. I always washed and waxed my rig befor covering it. It all just became a pain to me, we used our MH often so I was always covering and uncovering it.

With our new ACE, I decided to go with a permanent RV port and I'm quite glad that I did. It sets next to my house protected form the sun and rain. I can go out and work on it anytime I want and not have to uncover it. I can hop in and take it for a drive and keep a better eye on things.

The RV port cost was reasonable (3,800.00) verses a paid storage facility or the hassles of covering each time.

The company that I chose was able to meet or exceed Florida and my strict County building codes.

I do realize that many people do not have the room or building codes to allow them to build this type of cover, I was lucky to be able to.

There are many who have built awesome RV garages too, I just couldn't justify that expense at this point, maybe some day if I move up to a bigger coach[emoji4]

Steven B

S/W Florida

2017 ACE 30.3

Very nice cover Steve. What company did you get it from? I would like to get something like that for our 35M. (37'). We live in northern NY and get 10-12 ft of snow each winter.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:27 AM   #15

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
THOR #6059
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmandart View Post
Very nice cover Steve. What company did you get it from? I would like to get something like that for our 35M. (37'). We live in northern NY and get 10-12 ft of snow each winter.
Thanks! It has worked great for me. I purchased the RV port from carport1.com they are nice people to deal with, no sales pressure as they do not work on commissions. I was dealing with a nice gentleman by phone and when he found out where I lived, he directed me to a local dealer where I could see the units and deal with them direct. Very good installation crew came and erected the structure in one day. You can build and select your style and size of RV port online as well.

Regards,

Steven B.
2017 ACE 30.3
S/W Florida
Old 08-08-2017, 03:42 AM   #16

State: California
THOR #8416
I'm always asking questions

We plan on buying a Windsport next year. Everyone I meet who has Rv experience, I ask lots of questions. Very interesting that of all the people I ask questions, I have not yet gotten the same tips from them.

One 22 year RVer, who is also a retired mechanic, told me that he uses a power washer, (maybe a paint sprayer) hmmm... I'll have to ask him to clarify... fills with a liquid wax from Walmart. Twice a year he sprays his Rv with liquid wax, and his 7 year old 5th wheel looks like new.

Has anyone on this forum done this? If so, what did you think?
Old 08-08-2017, 06:07 AM   #17

Brand: Keystone
State: California
THOR #7189
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
I agree. Covers eventually have issues no matter how tight they are. I had a cover ripped to shreds here in the northeast during a rough winter. I finally pulled the trigger on an RV carport which keeps the unit out of the sun in summer and away from the elements in the winter.

How much did that cost you and what is rhe size? thank you Bobby
Old 08-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #18

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego travelers View Post
We plan on buying a Windsport next year. Everyone I meet who has Rv experience, I ask lots of questions. Very interesting that of all the people I ask questions, I have not yet gotten the same tips from them.

One 22 year RVer, who is also a retired mechanic, told me that he uses a power washer, (maybe a paint sprayer) hmmm... I'll have to ask him to clarify... fills with a liquid wax from Walmart. Twice a year he sprays his Rv with liquid wax, and his 7 year old 5th wheel looks like new.

Has anyone on this forum done this? If so, what did you think?
Mix equal parts Meguires Gold and Turtle Wax wash and wax in a bucket and wash your coach with it. Lots of people swear by this combination, I use it and think it works well. I do hand wax the front because it gets the bug hits.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #19

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifenmt View Post
How much did that cost you and what is rhe size? thank you Bobby
See post # 15. Depending on where you live and the size it's going to run about 3-4 thousand installed. Carports1 website will give you some good ideas.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #20

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Mix equal parts Meguires Gold and Turtle Wax wash and wax in a bucket and wash your coach with it. Lots of people swear by this combination, I use it and think it works well. I do hand wax the front because it gets the bug hits.
What about spotting? Will washing with this combo help reduce water spots as well? My coach is dark paint and it's a pain to get it squeegeed before it starts water spotting. Also both these companies have tons of products, any chance you could post pictures or exact names of the particular one's?

Thanks.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote