Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2022, 02:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #26604
Cracks

Has anyone else have an issue with spider web cracks on rear of motorhome near clearance lights

Old 09-04-2022, 02:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I've got cracking decals all over but no fiberglass spider cracks.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 02:38 PM   #3

Model: 34j hurricane
State: Arizona
THOR #20884
My 2020 Hurricane 34j all the decals are lifting or curling with the edges dry and cracking. The bummer is Warrenty is over.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:05 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramzarr@roadrunner.com View Post
Has anyone else have an issue with spider web cracks on rear of motorhome near clearance lights
If you see Spider web cracks and I assume you are looking at fiberglass, that is more likely than not the cause of some impact or stress.

Pictures would help. I have a some small spider web cracks under my front right fog lights, but that was due to some idiot ( none responsible person) allowing two orange cones to fly out the back of pickup.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:08 PM   #5

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I've got cracking decals all over but no fiberglass spider cracks.
Can I asked when did you first notice the decals cracking? I ask because I have been posses with using 303 Protectant every two months and no wax on my decals. At some point I expect cracks, but I am trying to assess how effective that effort has been or will be in the end game.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-04-2022, 08:11 PM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance1 View Post
My 2020 Hurricane 34j all the decals are lifting or curling with the edges dry and cracking. The bummer is Warrenty is over.
How did they look when brand new during the PDI?
What kind of things have you done to protect them?
I would love to see pictures?
Old 09-04-2022, 08:22 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Can I asked when did you first notice the decals cracking? I ask because I have been posses with using 303 Protectant every two months and no wax on my decals. At some point I expect cracks, but I am trying to assess how effective that effort has been or will be in the end game.
Hi sir using 303 every 2 months or so no decal damage..coach 2 years old
Old 09-05-2022, 02:05 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
An outlaw here... I've been using 303 on our 2020 decals since purchased in late summer 2019. Although specifically stated not to wax vinyl decals, I broke the rules and hand applied/buffed a coat of Meguiars on the decals when waxing the RV a couple months ago. I followed that up with a coating of 303 on the decals.

Call me stupid... call me a rebel. So far not a sign of any decal cracking or edge lifting. Time will tell if my gamble pays off. The wax makes them incredibly easy to clean, and keeping up on coating them with the 303 adds another layer of UV protection.
Old 09-05-2022, 02:16 AM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Hi sir using 303 every 2 months or so no decal damage..coach 2 years old
I think I have applied 303 twice since I last heard from you. 3 years for me. Never spend more than 10 minutes
Old 09-05-2022, 02:26 AM   #10

THOR #16721
Quote:
I think I have applied 303 twice since I last heard from you. 3 years for me. Never spend more than 10 minutes
10 minutes??? I probably spend 2 hours! (every day is Saturday) I do the decals... then, oh look - those window seals need a little TLC - which continues until the humidity starts getting to me.
Old 09-05-2022, 02:31 AM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
An outlaw here... I've been using 303 on our 2020 decals since purchased in late summer 2019. Although specifically stated not to wax vinyl decals, I broke the rules and hand applied/buffed a coat of Meguiars on the decals when waxing the RV a couple months ago. I followed that up with a coating of 303 on the decals.

Call me stupid... call me a rebel. So far not a sign of any decal cracking or edge lifting. Time will tell if my gamble pays off. The wax makes them incredibly easy to clean, and keeping up on coating them with the 303 adds another layer of UV protection.
Forum rules do not allow for us to call other member names. I am sorry; but my hands are tied.

I don't think to wax or not comes into play, because those that may not treat the vinyl are almost certainly not waxing the RV. Your case or test is flawed in the sense you have been and continue to use 303.

I think for OP my guess is that his cracking occurred within 1 year? I saw brand new units on the lot at Thor Dealer that were already cracking just from sitting. The price had been reduced and they said they would replace.

I am trying to learn how long I should expect the decals to last before cracking is visible? On another thread we can talk about pros and cons of wax on a RV decal. It is certainly best to have waxed the decals than nothing at all. You keep on waxing, but let me know when stop with the 303
Old 09-05-2022, 03:02 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
2018 Hurricane 29M, purchased in May of 2018. No special treatment applied to decals. I use whatever car wash/wax concentrate that is on sale at the local box store before and after every trip. I apply the concentrate with an Amazon purchased foam cannon. I take about 6 or 7 trips a year. No cracking on the decals where they were properly installed. In some places, the decals were installed poorly over creases in the front end and over moldings on the street side. At those two places the decals are lifted off the surface and cracked a bit. I attribute that more to the install than any treatment the decals did or did not receive. I feel pretty good about the longevity of the decals considering they look real good after 5 Texas summers.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:04 AM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
10 minutes??? I probably spend 2 hours! (every day is Saturday) I do the decals... then, oh look - those window seals need a little TLC - which continues until the humidity starts getting to me.
After every wash, I take my 303 towelette and just wipe over decal, no hard rubbing, I leave it on liberally and I do get some on the fiberglass. 10 min max!!! I let the sun and nature do the rest as it penetrates into the vinyl. To me putting wax on top is like putting Clearasil on skin after you just applied a generous amount of a luxurious lotion.

How long do you expect you might go before you see any form of cracking or peeling on any edges?

My guess is 5 - 6 years? But from what I have seen, and how I keep mine outside, I feel very good at year 3.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:18 AM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
2018 Hurricane 29M, purchased in May of 2018. No special treatment applied to decals. I use whatever car wash/wax concentrate that is on sale at the local box store before and after every trip. I apply the concentrate with an Amazon purchased foam cannon. I take about 6 or 7 trips a year. No cracking on the decals where they were properly installed. In some places, the decals were installed poorly over creases in the front end and over moldings on the street side. At those two places the decals are lifted off the surface and cracked a bit. I attribute that more to the install than any treatment the decals did or did not receive. I feel pretty good about the longevity of the decals considering they look real good after 5 Texas summers.
There is something we all must be missing, because like the OP is describing I have seen lots of new and only a year or two old RV with horrible cracking and peeling. Some Dealers and Some owners must be doing something wrong or not do something they need for that to occur. I know the dealer I was dealing with had professional come out every so often and they had come concentrate and pressure washers. Maybe the Pressure washers was causing the damaging? Maybe an random RV owner tried to wax, but may not have wax properly and that resulted in peeling or cracks. Again I don't know. But I do know I see it a lot, so my obsession is more about trying to make damn sure because I don't plan on being on this forum saying this my 5th RV etc. etc. If I can keep the RV looking good until it is time to buy new tires I have done good. I got 5 years to go.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:04 PM   #15

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Please correct me if I’m wrong but the OP is talking about cracks on the rear near his clearance lights. Mine has no decals back there. You guys keep talking about deacons. IMHO ( I’m learning this abbreviation thing) the spider web cracking is probably the gel coat, not the actual fiberglass. To the OP - try taking some paste wax and elbow grease and buff one area. If the cracks disappear it’s just the gel coat.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:06 PM   #16

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Please correct me if I’m wrong but the OP is talking about cracks on the rear near his clearance lights. Mine has no decals back there. You guys keep talking about deacons. IMHO ( I’m learning this abbreviation thing) the spider web cracking is probably the gel coat, not the actual fiberglass. To the OP - try taking some paste wax and elbow grease and buff one area. If the cracks disappear it’s just the gel coat.
I think your assessment is correct, hopefully he can get by with compounding and wax.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:43 PM   #17

THOR #20220
Quote:
Yes in montana. Applied 303 here for the LONG trip home.
No black streaks and so far all decal look new
Old 09-12-2022, 10:56 PM   #18

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galobo View Post
I think your assessment is correct, hopefully he can get by with compounding and wax.
I agree. Start with "less aggressive" and work up. Might even try a heavy-cutting oxidation remover first. Unless it's a very small area, I'd consider using a variable speed buffer. Otherwise be prepared for some serious elbow grease!

Have you tried searching YouTube for hints and techniques? That's usually my go-to for projects outside my comfort zone.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:18 PM   #19

THOR #20220
Here is a picture of 303 for 2 years and nothing else
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220912_171608.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	39438  
Old 09-12-2022, 11:34 PM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Here is a picture of 303 for 2 years and nothing else

I hate to brag, but pictures speak volumes. This was a very dear concern for me BEFORE I bought my RV, passed on a few that just didn't have that IT factor for me.

This is 2019 so after 3 years for me. I have used nothing but....

RV Gel Gloss RV Wash & Wax;
Meguiars #56 Pure RV & Boat Wax;
and the 303 Protectant on the sides. (no wax on decals)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220519_123033.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	39439

I have ZERO motivation to try anything else unless Meguiar's Engineers come by house and show me a new Meguiars product that they claim will last for a full year, so they wax for me; and I wait one year and if it looks good, I will switch waxes. But the Gel Gloss & 303 Protectorate on decals will NOT change.

I will add for the record, there are no spider webs in the Gel Coat; wax with the #56 twice a year; so I would know if that ever occurred Speaking of which, soon I will do a full wax of RV and Roof as I prepare for fresh coat of wax to get me through the winter.