Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Thor Motorhome General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2023, 12:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #30293
to level or not to level..

Morning all, Looking for some thoughts.. We are what id say occasional campers and semi-regular coach users. We just down sized from our 'A' to a super C so now have a diesel up front and less space to drag around and store. We use our coach for day and overnight events and a few weekly or multi week trips a year.

My question is in between uses do ya'll drop the levelers and leave it on its legs so to speak vs just always leaving sit completely on suspension? Oh and our levelers have Snap Pads on them ! does it hurt the jacks or pads to leave down most of time? or is it better to use them which is kinda my thinking.

We park on a covered concrete slab. We have a TMC Magnitude sv34 on a F600 chassis.. we do stay plugged in and keep our AC on low to keep mildew and air flowing.

Just looking for thoughts:

Old 08-17-2023, 12:53 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Slides and absorption refrigerators are the only level intensive items. If you have a compressor refrigerator and keep the slides in, it doesn't matter either way... unless you have a pool table in there?

All hydraulic leveling systems work the same; I was told by the manufacturer of mine (BigFoot) that the jacks can be left extended indefinitely... they suggested keeping the rams clean. Otherwise, either way is fine.
Old 08-17-2023, 01:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
If your pad is already level no need to deploy the levelers.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 01:36 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The only disadvantages to down for extended periods are bug access and cylinder rams rusting from exposure. I would leave them up...that's what we did.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 02:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I’ve done both. Jacks down with slides out while stored in the driveway. Since we no longer live there it’s slides in with jacks up during storage. I will raise and lower the jacks, not necessarily level when I exercise the generator.

Since you’re an experienced RV’er do what makes sense for you and your storage situation and not what is good for others.
Old 08-17-2023, 03:13 PM   #6

THOR #30293
Thx guys. Appreciate your thoughts. Ive done it both ways so wasn't sure if one was better than the other.. Its not like our coach has a lot of miles or years yet either. Often we will go to the storage site and level and deploy slide and just get things ready for next venture.. excersizing equipment is always better to some degree. thx all
Old 08-17-2023, 03:44 PM   #7

THOR #11130
"Cocktails in the Camper" is a regular activity here. Everything gets exercised and things stay freshly stocked. Local news, Wheel of Fortune and Captain Morgan make a nice evening. A/C never gets shut off.
Old 08-17-2023, 04:12 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #24216
At the storage facility we use the jacks are retracted and the slides are in unless we’re there. Many of the MH’s and fifth wheels there do the opposite however.
Old 08-23-2023, 06:48 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #11919
Windsport 29M class A. Jacks are down whenever slide is out. They stay down for extended periods between trips. Once per season will put a bit of lubricant on them to prevent any corrosion. No issues so far.
Old 08-23-2023, 07:28 PM   #10

THOR #11130
Just finished with the 50A plug in the driveway. I think I'll move in the camper and just use the house as a bathhouse, dog park and laundry room.
Old 08-23-2023, 07:55 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Just finished with the 50A plug in the driveway. I think I'll move in the camper and just use the house as a bathhouse, dog park and laundry room.
Don't you have a 30 amp RV? What are you going to do with the other 70 amps?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 08:30 PM   #12

THOR #11130
I had 30A connection at the house in Stockbridge. I've used 100' Yellow Jacket cord at the beach...not anymore. My new unit is only 30 but I installed 50 anyway. Good selling feature for beach property. Everybody here has boats and RV's in driveways. Next project...build a carport over it and add water.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:59 PM   #13

State: Iowa
THOR #9915
I don't like leaving the polished hydronic rams exposed. Rust is the issue. One spot and it tears up the seals.
Old 09-07-2023, 12:41 AM   #14

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Ontario
THOR #30720
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkurtz502@gmail.com View Post
Morning all, Looking for some thoughts.. We are what id say occasional campers and semi-regular coach users. We just down sized from our 'A' to a super C so now have a diesel up front and less space to drag around and store. We use our coach for day and overnight events and a few weekly or multi week trips a year.

My question is in between uses do ya'll drop the levelers and leave it on its legs so to speak vs just always leaving sit completely on suspension? Oh and our levelers have Snap Pads on them ! does it hurt the jacks or pads to leave down most of time? or is it better to use them which is kinda my thinking.

We park on a covered concrete slab. We have a TMC Magnitude sv34 on a F600 chassis.. we do stay plugged in and keep our AC on low to keep mildew and air flowing.

Just looking for thoughts:
Personally the jacks are always down when parked. I dump the air and then drop the jacks enough to lift the coach a bit and take the weight off the tires.
Mine is stored in a driveshed so I've never had any rust issues and could be different if you are outside.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:41 AM   #15

THOR #30293
PalazzoBob, mine is basically under cover and protected from rain etc. We are in FL so there are no walls on the overhead. it is all red steel with a galvanized roof. Iwas thinkng it might help the tires from sitting with all the weight 100% on them. Glad to know others have similar ideas. thanks
Old 09-07-2023, 02:09 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
If my RV is parked for more than fuel or groceries, the jacks are down and the slide is out.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote