Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #21

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Cavie,

Why does Thor wire their coaches like this? I see this problem all the time and even though what Thor has wired will work and make some sense, it does not seem intuitive at all? It even confuses me, and I am SOB. Basically on my coach it seems quite simple, because if I have shore power, I cannot turn off USE mode (or put in STORE mode). I think this protects me from myself. Why would anyone want their coach in STORE mode and have shorepower at the same time? I don't think most are trying to do that, but the fact that you can and it is called STORE may add to confusion.

For my SOB, as soon as cut shorepower, then the USE / STORE button make sense, because if it is on STORE nothing will happen as there is ZERO power. I have gone 2 weeks like this and battery was still over 12volts.
You are correct. You are confused. The use and store switch is for 12 volt only and has nothing to do with wither you are on shore power or not.

When you are on shore power your converter must be on to get 120 volts to be able to power your 12 volt stuff and keep the battery charged. Lighting is 12 volts. Not 120 volts. Control circuits for WH, fridge if not resi, furnace are 12 volts. That is why the battery disconnect must be on (in use). When you are in storage you don't want to forget and leave a light on or power up the control circuits so you turn the battery disconnect off. Except for the LP, CO detectors and the radio memory. They are bypassed by the battery disconnect sw. There is some power being used. It is done for safety. It's not just Thor, they are all done this way. The only way to completely disconnect the battery is to install a disconnect switch right on the battery. Very cheap at any auto supply, WM store installs in 5 min. right on the battery post.

Bottom line, If you want to keep the battery charged you must leave it in use mode to run the converter to keep the battery charged or install a trickle charger on the battery and plug that into shore.

https://www.harborfreight.com/batter...RoCECoQAvD_BwE

Old 05-19-2020, 06:02 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You are correct. You are confused. The use and store switch is for 12 volt only and has nothing to do with wither you are on shore power or not.

When you are on shore power your converter must be on to get 120 volts to be able to power your 12 volt stuff and keep the battery charged. Lighting is 12 volts. Not 120 volts. Control circuits for WH, fridge if not resi, furnace are 12 volts. That is why the battery disconnect must be on (in use). When you are in storage you don't want to forget and leave a light on or power up the control circuits so you turn the battery disconnect off. Except for the LP, CO detectors and the radio memory. They are bypassed by the battery disconnect sw. There is some power being used. It is done for safety. It's not just Thor, they are all done this way. The only way to completely disconnect the battery is to install a disconnect switch right on the battery. Very cheap at any auto supply, WM store installs in 5 min. right on the battery post.

Bottom line, If you want to keep the battery charged you must leave it in use mode to run the converter to keep the battery charged or install a trickle charger on the battery and plug that into shore.

https://www.harborfreight.com/batter...RoCECoQAvD_BwE
You are correct that I am confused, but maybe not following why I say I am confused?

For starters. I am actually questioning WHY Thor has the wiring designed the way they do? I am asking you because I know you are way above average on such matters. Thor could use someone with your expertise on such matters.

My point was not to understand how it works for Thor coaches today, because I follow that. I was trying to say that IMO; I believe it very confusing for many Thor owners as I see this issue & questions on dead batteries Use/Store etc. all the time on this forum.

I learned it because I was thinking I was going to buy a Thor, but bought another brand. But on my coach it is a lot simpler and that is where I came to you wanting to know why don't Thor simplify?

What I think? If Thor was to simply to rename that switch from Use / Store to Coach Batteries On / Off I bet 80% of the problems go away. I think it is simple for common folks to know they turned Coach Batteries OFF and nothing works except for the emergency stuff. A lot of people will store their coach with shorepower and incorrectly assume to put in Store mode and come back with dead battery.

From design perspective; Winnebago is wired so even if you have the Coach Battery Switch Off (Store for Thor RV); you will still get 12v (120vAC from Shorepower). I only state that because, I can never make the mistake of wanting to leave my coach for extended time hooked up to shore power, but having switch set to Shore and learn later the batteries didn't charge. In my coach whenever 120vDC is there; the charger and 12vDC are hot and I CANNOT turn them off (with On/Off Switch). If I must have them off, then I need to turn off the shorepower breaker. The latter is just logical to most IMO.

Does this not make sense what I suggest? Can't Thor improve their design to simplify?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:36 PM   #23
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
From design perspective; Winnebago is wired so even if you have the Coach Battery Switch Off (Store for Thor RV); you will still get 12v (120vAC from Shorepower). I only state that because, I can never make the mistake of wanting to leave my coach for extended time hooked up to shore power, but having switch set to Shore and learn later the batteries didn't charge. In my coach whenever 120vDC is there; the charger and 12vDC are hot and I CANNOT turn them off (with On/Off Switch). If I must have them off, then I need to turn off the shorepower breaker. The latter is just logical to most IMO.

Does this not make sense what I suggest? Can't Thor improve their design to simplify?
Thors are wired that way too. If the converter is on it is powering the 12 VDC buss. But unless the USE/STORE switch is in USE (or the battery DISCONNECT switch is not disconnected) that 12+ VDC voltage (and current) will not flow to the batteries and charge them.

So what do you think the difference is between your Winnebago and Thor?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:52 PM   #24

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Thors are wired that way too. If the converter is on it is powering the 12 VDC buss. But unless the USE/STORE switch is in USE (or the battery DISCONNECT switch is not disconnected) that 12+ VDC voltage (and current) will not flow to the batteries and charge them.

So what do you think the difference is between your Winnebago and Thor?
The difference is in what happens when switch is in Store for Thor versus Off for Winnebago.

When the Switch is in Use for Thor and Switch is On for Winnebago they both do the same thing.

But in my coach if Shorepower is connected; and I attempt to put switch to Off; the Winnebago does not allow you to turn Switch Off. It stays On 100% if shore power connected. If I flip the breaker at shorepower or simply unplug the source; then I can turn the Switch to Off in Winnebago or Store for Thor.

The difference is that Thor appears to require you to take an additional step if you have hot shorepower and want the charger to operate... you must make sure the Switch is in Use mode. Why I think it is confusing to the common person (of course if you learn it, or know it; it is not a big deal), but I suspect a lot of people that don't know or remember are thinking they are putting their coach is Storage for extended time. They may have shorepower available, plug it up and then go to that switch and put it in Store mode, which if I follow does not power the charger and thus they return to a dead battery not knowing why because they had it plugged into shorepower. If I have scenario correct, then the Coach I have does not do that.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-19-2020, 07:04 PM   #25
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
The difference is in what happens when switch is in Store for Thor versus Off for Winnebago.

When the Switch is in Use for Thor and Switch is On for Winnebago they both do the same thing.

But in my coach if Shorepower is connected; and I attempt to put switch to Off; the Winnebago does not allow you to turn Switch Off. It stays On 100% if shore power connected. If I flip the breaker at shorepower or simply unplug the source; then I can turn the Switch to Off in Winnebago or Store for Thor.

The difference is that Thor appears to require you to take an additional step if you have hot shorepower and want the charger to operate... you must make sure the Switch is in Use mode. Why I think it is confusing to the common person (of course if you learn it, or know it; it is not a big deal), but I suspect a lot of people that don't know or remember are thinking they are putting their coach is Storage for extended time. They may have shorepower available, plug it up and then go to that switch and put it in Store mode, which if I follow does not power the charger and thus they return to a dead battery not knowing why because they had it plugged into shorepower. If I have scenario correct, then the Coach I have does not do that.
How do you know you can't disconnect the batteries from the buss when you have 120 VAC from SP or the generator? Have you measured the voltage at the batteries?

Are you relying on a simple LED indication that the DC buss has power>
Are you relying on the battery status indicator on the control panel that actually indicates DC buss voltage?

Run your house batteries down so the voltage at the batteries in under 12.6 VDC when no load is on the DC buss
Disconnect the batteries using your "Battery Disconnect" switch
Plug into shore power and measure the voltage at the batteries again.

If they haven't gone up to over 13 VDC then they are still NOT connected to the DC buss. Connecting them to the DC buss with your "Battery Disconnect" switch will push that voltage up over 13 VDC possibly up to 14 VDC.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #26

THOR #13058
Quote:
How do you know you can't disconnect the batteries from the buss when you have 120 VAC from SP or the generator? Have you measured the voltage at the batteries?

Are you relying on the battery status indicator on the control panel that actually indicates DC buss voltage?

Run your house batteries down so the voltage at the batteries in under 12 VDC when no load is on the DC buss
Disconnect the batteries using your "Battery Disconnect" switch
Plug into shore power and measure the voltage at the batteries again.

If they haven't gone up to over 13 VDC then they are still NOT connected to the DC buss. Connecting them to the DC buss with your "Battery Disconnect" switch will push that voltage up over 13 VDC possibly up to 14 VDC.
Not sure we communicating? I am not referencing a "battery disconnect switch", but the coach's chassis battery on/off switch. Maybe you call it the same thing? By contrast I do have installed a true aftermarket battery disconnect switch on my engine battery. I have never had to use but I just wanted to have.

So for right now I am only talking what comes standard from Thor USE/STORE switch and what comes standard on my Winnebago ON/OFF Switch.

You asked...

I am relying on DC voltage applied at points downstream of the Chassis batteries.

On my Coach; when the Switch LED is Green (On) everything has full VDC power. It does not matter if I have shore power connected or not. The vDC off the chassis battery does drop if no shore power; because the charger is NOT on as their is no power vAC.

However, on my coach 2019 Winnebago 29VE; if I have no shorepower and flip the Switch to (Off), With exception of the Kwikie Entry Steps; Everything vDC dies (including the Safe T Alarm Propane detector, and AGS). But if the Shorepower is turned back on, it ignores what you think you were doing with the switch last because the LED go green and all vDC is restored. This is what I like and view as perhaps different than Thor. If Thor had, there would be fewer accidental dead batteries because a RV owner forgot or did not know to put switch in USE mode when they assume it would be charging because the had shorepower.

I view as poke-yoke or fail safe because in short, I can ONLY disconnect my Chassis batteries (turn that Switch to Off); when there is no vAC being supplied. And when I do turn it Off, there is no draw. I suspect Kwikie steps may be pulling from Engine battery. I would have to check on that.

I hope this all makes sense. I spent almost 18 months studying and learning Thor and wound up with Winnebago; so I occasionally confuse myself. Of the two processes, IMO the ON/OFF concept is more user friendly for the layman RV owner than the USE/STORE concept.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:47 PM   #27
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Not sure we communicating? I am not referencing a "battery disconnect switch", but the coach's chassis battery on/off switch. Maybe you call it the same thing? By contrast I do have installed a true aftermarket battery disconnect switch on my engine battery. I have never had to use but I just wanted to have.

So for right now I am only talking what comes standard from Thor USE/STORE switch and what comes standard on my Winnebago ON/OFF Switch.

You asked...

I am relying on DC voltage applied at points downstream of the Chassis batteries.

On my Coach; when the Switch LED is Green (On) everything has full VDC power. It does not matter if I have shore power connected or not. The vDC off the chassis battery does drop if no shore power; because the charger is NOT on as their is no power vAC.

However, on my coach 2019 Winnebago 29VE; if I have no shorepower and flip the Switch to (Off), With exception of the Kwikie Entry Steps; Everything vDC dies (including the Safe T Alarm Propane detector, and AGS). But if the Shorepower is turned back on, it ignores what you think you were doing with the switch last because the LED go green and all vDC is restored. This is what I like and view as perhaps different than Thor. If Thor had, there would be fewer accidental dead batteries because a RV owner forgot or did not know to put switch in USE mode when they assume it would be charging because the had shorepower.

I view as poke-yoke or fail safe because in short, I can ONLY disconnect my Chassis batteries (turn that Switch to Off); when there is no vAC being supplied. And when I do turn it Off, there is no draw. I suspect Kwikie steps may be pulling from Engine battery. I would have to check on that.

I hope this all makes sense. I spent almost 18 months studying and learning Thor and wound up with Winnebago; so I occasionally confuse myself. Of the two processes, IMO the ON/OFF concept is more user friendly for the layman RV owner than the USE/STORE concept.
You have completely ignored what I told you.
The green light just shows 12 VDC power on the DC buss - it doesn't not show the status of the battery disconnect switch; which is also named that way on some Thor coaches.
The light will be on with no shore power if the batteries are connected.
The light will be on with shore power if the batteries are disconnected due to the converter powering the DC buss.

Thor coaches with a light indicator are wired the same way.
If you have not broke out a voltmeter you are not measuring voltage anywhere.

Perform the experiment I posted above before continuing to argue about how these coaches and latching relays (it's not really a switch) are wired.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:19 PM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
The green light just shows 12 VDC power on the DC buss - it doesn't not show the status of the battery disconnect switch; which is also named that way on some Thor coaches.
The light will be on with shore power if the batteries are disconnected due to the converter powering the DC buss.

Perform the experiment I posted above before continuing to argue about how these coaches and latching relays (it's not really a switch) are wired.
It will take me some time to purposely drain the chassis batteries, but I can do that. I can also believe you. I think the functional summary of what you are telling me is that in my coach it is possible to have shore power connected, but the charger not charging the chassis batteries?

If so; I can believe, but because I have yet to see my batteries drain down; I didn't know that? In fact, when shore power is connected, I have yet to be able to disconnect any of the vDC functions regardless of the position of switch you are telling me is reading the voltage on the buss to light up green?

New Info:
Until I can get a chance to drain batteries, below is something I can add that I noticed. I have Digital LED Readout in 12vDC socket in Cabin, it runs off the Chassis batteries. It is reading 12.2 vDC with shore disconnected, When I turn on the shore power the Digital LED Readout in 12vDC socket goes to 14.2.

If I press the off button to attempt to turn off nothing happens?
Old 05-19-2020, 10:12 PM   #29

THOR #15553
I'll try to simplify a little. There is a switch at the door area. It is sometime a direct key switch. Sometimes just a rocker switch that controls a bigger relay switch. This switch has too many names. It's official name is "Battery Disconnect Switch". It's trumped-up names are battery on/off, use/store and the worst is "Salesman Switch". It turns the battery on and off. (90% of the RV's are wired to operate the same. That includes the radio because if the memory circuits. Winnebago is the odd man out. I have never heard of not being able to turn off the battery with the AC power applied. The two systems are not controlled connected. I am moving to read only mode on this thread.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:39 AM   #30
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
It will take me some time to purposely drain the chassis batteries, but I can do that. I can also believe you. I think the functional summary of what you are telling me is that in my coach it is possible to have shore power connected, but the charger not charging the chassis batteries?

If so; I can believe, but because I have yet to see my batteries drain down; I didn't know that? In fact, when shore power is connected, I have yet to be able to disconnect any of the vDC functions regardless of the position of switch you are telling me is reading the voltage on the buss to light up green?

New Info:
Until I can get a chance to drain batteries, below is something I can add that I noticed. I have Digital LED Readout in 12vDC socket in Cabin, it runs off the Chassis batteries. It is reading 12.2 vDC with shore disconnected, When I turn on the shore power the Digital LED Readout in 12vDC socket goes to 14.2.

If I press the off button to attempt to turn off nothing happens?
Sorry, You don't need to drain you batteries. I meant to write 12.6 VDC not 12 VDC.

Corrected now.

What would you expect to happen?

With no shore power you are reading the direct chassis battery voltage.
If you have a single battery disconnect wired in your coach it has nothing to do with the chassis battery, only the house batteries.
When you plug into shore power the converter applies charging voltage to the DC buss.
In most class A RVs there is a BIM/BIRD, etc that allows charging voltage applied to one battery set (your house batteries in this case) to also be applied to the other battery(s), your chassis battery in this case. So the 14.2 VDC you see applied to the chassis battery when plugged into shore power is coming from your converter.
In some coaches this cross-connect is from battery set to battery set: this allows the Alternator to charge the house batteries even if the battery diconnect is open.
On other coaches this cross-connect is from the house DC buss to the chassis battery: this allows the converter to always charge the chassis battery.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:39 AM   #31

THOR #13058
Quote:
Sorry, You don't need to drain you batteries. I meant to write 12.6 VDC not 12 VDC.

Corrected now.

What would you expect to happen?

With no shore power you are reading the direct chassis battery voltage.
If you have a single battery disconnect wired in your coach it has nothing to do with the chassis battery, only the house batteries.
When you plug into shore power the converter applies charging voltage to the DC buss.
In most class A RVs there is a BIM/BIRD, etc that allows charging voltage applied to one battery set (your house batteries in this case) to also be applied to the other battery(s), your chassis battery in this case. So the 14.2 VDC you see applied to the chassis battery when plugged into shore power is coming from your converter.
In some coaches this cross-connect is from battery set to battery set: this allows the Alternator to charge the house batteries even if the battery diconnect is open.
On other coaches this cross-connect is from the house DC buss to the chassis battery: this allows the converter to always charge the chassis battery.
It should have been House batteries. I had typo when I typed "I have Digital LED Readout in 12vDC socket in Cabin, it runs off the Chassis batteries. " I only have one chassis battery.

I will stop draining my batteries and send some pictures of what I found. I have multiple 12vDC outlets throughout the coach and they all have same reading from house batteries. If I turn the house battery switch (or house Battery disconnect switch) to off, they all go dead. I know this for fact as once I was driving on highway and I noticed my radio wouldn't come on and my phone plugged into that socket was rapidly discharging trying to run the Waze apps. After about 20 minutes I pulled over and saw where I accidentally turned off the house battery switch (no green LED)

I appreciate your digging into this to try to help me. Be advised that what I send is not to prove anything but to honor your request. I just know that after a year or so of reading dos and don'ts on the Thor Use/Store switch, I don't think I am getting the same experience with this model of Winnebago. i.e If shorepower is on, I cannot turn the disconnect switch to Off. In turn I believe my batteries House and Chassis batteries are always charging if I have shore power. If not I sure can't use the disconnect switch to turn green LED off to black as long as I have AC.

Pictures to follow.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:23 AM   #32

THOR #13058
Quote:

This is picture of Disconnect Switch (Coach Batteries On/Off)

It will have Green LED no matter what if AC power is provided from Shore. I can only turn Green LED Off when it is NOT connected to shorepower. This is why I was thinking I have vDC no matter what when plugged in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200519_185139.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	23810  
Old 05-20-2020, 02:42 AM   #33

THOR #13058
Quote:

I stopped draining my battery when you said I did not need to go lower than 12 vDC

I got digital reading in 3 different places

1. 12vDC socket off the House batteries it was reading 11.9vDC when shorepower was off. When I connected the shorepower the reading went to 14.2vDC

2. Onan AGS it was reading 12.3vDC when shorepower was off. When I connected the shorepower the reading went to 12.5vDC

3. Voltmeter on house batteries it was reading 12.26vDC when shorepower was off. When I connected the shorepower the reading went to 12.48vDC

Note: By the time I am typing this, I look up at the AGS and it is now reading 12.6vDC So it is rising, but I have not done anything to turn a switch on or off. I can't turn it off anyway if I have AC shore power

Of course I rarely if ever go inside the actual battery compartment, but based on always having a visual of #1 & #3 above; I assume that my batteries are always slow charging if I have AC power. Now if I crank up, I get more juice. It is like slow maintainer .2 amps vs 2 amps or something? I notice this on Onan AGS display because I always crank up to move slide or level coach.

Very curious as to your thoughts and what this may mean.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200519_184720.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	23811   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200519_185222.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	23812  

Name:	20200519_184829.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	23813   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200519_185251_001.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	23814  

Old 05-20-2020, 04:25 AM   #34

THOR #15553
DKoldman, I finally understand what you are talking about. The green light does not indicate the switch being on or off. The green light just tells you 12 volts in on the buss bar. The green light is powered by the battery and/or the converter. Being on shore power does not prevent you from turning off the battery's. A way to test this is turn on a light and leave it on. Unplug from shore power. The converter is now off. If the light is still lit, the battery is on.Turn the disconnect off and the light will go out. At this point the green light is out because both the shore power and the battery are disconnected. Being on shore power has nothing to do with you being able to turn off the battery. If the green light is on it is being powered by the converter and/or the battery. If the house light goes out the battery is disconnected. If you do not touch the switch and plug back into shore power the house light will come back on because the converter will be on.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #35

THOR #13058
Quote:
DKoldman, I finally understand what you are talking about. The green light does not indicate the switch being on or off. The green light just tells you 12 volts in on the buss bar. The green light is powered by the battery and/or the converter. Being on shore power does not prevent you from turning off the battery's. A way to test this is turn on a light and leave it on. Unplug from shore power. The converter is now off. If the light is still lit, the battery is on.Turn the disconnect off and the light will go out. At this point the green light is out because both the shore power and the battery are disconnected. Being on shore power has nothing to do with you being able to turn off the battery. If the green light is on it is being powered by the converter and/or the battery. If the house light goes out the battery is disconnected. If you do not touch the switch and plug back into shore power the house light will come back on because the converter will be on.
Cavie,

You got it, everything you describe is exactly what happens, so we are 100% aligned on the material facts However, your below statement is what got me asking this question in the first place.

"Being on shore power has nothing to do with you being able to turn off the battery."

Given and when I am on shore power, as of right now I know of no way to turn OFF the house battery? This is what started my belief of the difference because my belief is that in Thor; if you have Shorepower you can switch the House batteries on / off ( Use / Store) My On/Off Switch is powerless (pun intended) and always On. For that reason, I believe I am getting some slow charge to my batteries. This to me is good news and better than expected because if true; then it is impossible for me to have connection to shore power and mistakenly have that disconnect switch on Off (Winnebago) Shore Mode (Thor), and later learn that the batteries were not being charged? I say this because on the Thor posts I keep reading, I see others telling Users to make sure the Switch is in Use mode if they expect it to charge.

btw,

Your last post made it to my SOP Manual that I keep for my RV.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:46 PM   #36

THOR #12281
Disconnect Right On Battery

Quote:
There are parricedic loads being used wither your disconnect sw is on or off. LP Detector, CO detector, Radio memory. The only way to stop that it to install a disconnect right on the battery.
Yes, I learned that the hard way when I left my new RV for a couple of weeks with only the cabin master switch turned off. The batteries discharged.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:42 PM   #37

THOR #13058
Quote:
Cavie,

You got it, everything you describe is exactly what happens, so we are 100% aligned on the material facts However, your below statement is what got me asking this question in the first place.

"Being on shore power has nothing to do with you being able to turn off the battery."

Given and when I am on shore power, as of right now I know of no way to turn OFF the house battery? This is what started my belief of the difference because my belief is that in Thor; if you have Shorepower you can switch the House batteries on / off ( Use / Store) My On/Off Switch is powerless (pun intended) and always On. For that reason, I believe I am getting some slow charge to my batteries. This to me is good news and better than expected because if true; then it is impossible for me to have connection to shore power and mistakenly have that disconnect switch on Off (Winnebago) Shore Mode (Thor), and later learn that the batteries were not being charged? I say this because on the Thor posts I keep reading, I see others telling Users to make sure the Switch is in Use mode if they expect it to charge.

btw,

Your last post made it to my SOP Manual that I keep for my RV.

Cavie,

I have update and correction. Using my Onan AGS screen I can see the effect of charger turning on or off with the On/Off button even though the LED stays green.

In RV it go up to 13.2 volts with the switch being pressed, or a slow dropping if I hit the switch again. I guess because I never use the switch; it is / was always On for me short these test to try to turn it off.

At current I don't see where or why I would ever go to Off given that I have Shore power.

But thanks staying with me on this. It is clear now
Old 05-20-2020, 07:10 PM   #38

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Alabama
THOR #3721
My coach was incorrectly wired in several places at the factory. My local RV fix them. I run a trickle charger to the engine battery and have the RV plugged in to 30 amp all the time. I do run the gen and engine once a month and check the water level in the batteries.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:02 AM   #39

State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Quote:
I'll try to simplify a little. There is a switch at the door area. It is sometime a direct key switch. Sometimes just a rocker switch that controls a bigger relay switch. This switch has too many names. It's official name is "Battery Disconnect Switch". It's trumped-up names are battery on/off, use/store and the worst is "Salesman Switch". It turns the battery on and off. (90% of the RV's are wired to operate the same. That includes the radio because if the memory circuits. Winnebago is the odd man out. I have never heard of not being able to turn off the battery with the AC power applied. The two systems are not controlled connected. I am moving to read only mode on this thread.
I think Gus3836 has hopped on a bus and is awol.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #40

THOR #13058
Quote:
Cavie,

I have update and correction. Using my Onan AGS screen I can see the effect of charger turning on or off with the On/Off button even though the LED stays green.

In RV it go up to 13.2 volts with the switch being pressed, or a slow dropping if I hit the switch again. I guess because I never use the switch; it is / was always On for me short these test to try to turn it off.

At current I don't see where or why I would ever go to Off given that I have Shore power.

But thanks staying with me on this. It is clear now
All,

I have a correction to the correction.

I am on vacation today in the RV and thought I would call Winnebago to get the details.

Per Winnebago (one phone rep anyway), I was right about my assumptions or noted experience with Switch being foolproof if you connect Shore power.

1. It is NOT possible to turn off the charging to the House batteries of my 29VE when Shorepower is connected.
2. With Shorepower; 110vAC goes to the entire coach and no switch will stop or turn off.
3. The converter when it has 110vAC input power works in 3 stages and sends amperage to the House batteries based on voltage at the batteries.
4. They state the voltage measurements may look erratic at times due to this staging and delta of voltage at the battery versus voltage from the battery. But if the shorepower is connected the charging is on.

With that said, Winnebago says if you plan to leave RV unattended for anything longer than 2 weeks. You should...
1. Disconnect Shore power
2. Turn Disconnect Switch to Off
(This scenario is only time I would bother with switch)

There are no relevant parasitic drains to be concerned with on this coach unless coach is wired improperly, or aftermarket add on direct to the battery. This also eliminates Sulfate concerns.