Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2020, 08:39 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
...and I'm sure the next 'trip' will help resolve 'whether' it actually fixed itself or not : /

we're parked, for a long time...don't even know when the next trip will happen...we'll see.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:46 PM   #22

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
It definitely will.

We lived in Hiawassee and Blairsville for years. Hope to come stay at Ga Mtn Fairgrounds soon for a few days to see friends etc. No long trips planned until hopefully next year.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:02 PM   #23

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
....update:

a week later, nothing, not a drip.

fixed itself?? : /
Slow acting stop leak perhaps, might have needed more air contact

Over the years back in the day, ran many a radiator after leaks

Had a couple blow out as well
Old 07-04-2020, 10:24 PM   #24

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
....update:

a week later, nothing, not a drip.

fixed itself?? : /
Don't sit on it. Do it yourself or have it done. Don't put yourself in a no-win situation on the side of the road somewhere. Lady luck only hangs around for so long...
Old 07-05-2020, 01:01 AM   #25

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
Be careful with using the stop leak additives, they can plug up your radiator core and plug up oil coolers, sounds like your problem is a cold leak, radiator hoses will break down over time and the rubber gets hard and leaks will start where they connect to a fitting, some times just a half of turn on a hose clamp will seal it back up, some times the clamp will crack or break at the thread area and will not be obvious until you try to tighten it, I retired as a Cat mechanic and we always replaced hose clamps during repairs, just not worth the loss of an engine over a $3 or $4 dollar part, most Diesel engines have a water filter and in most cases they will grab a large amount of the stop leak before it has a chance to plug up your cooling system, I have pulled water filters off of engines that weighed 10 lbs because they were clear full of stop leak, you have got 6 years on that motor and getting all the hoses replaced is a whole lot cheaper than replacing the motor, if they are not molded hoses try to stay with the silicone hose, they require special clamps but the hose will usually last the life of the engine
Old 07-05-2020, 01:42 AM   #26

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
My experience with leaks that 'fix themselves' is that they will re-appear at the worst possible time and place. Good luck, but I would not trust it enough to attempt any travels.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #27

THOR #4735
yes, the last few trips have been a trial in trying to 'diagnose' when the 'leak' will appear, or at least when it will manifest itself - usually by the shear amount of constant dripping.

While I have stopped several times along the way to see if the dripping is happening 'while' driving, I've not found that to be the case in most all instances - it's only really taking place when we've stopped, and usually only when we've parked OVERNIGHT, especially when the temps have fallen into the mid to low 70s, and after the coach has 'cooled down'.

This certainly DOES seem to indicate a 'metal crack/opening' that is expanded, with heat, and closing up the hole, but then 'relaxing' with the lower temps, as things cool off, which is when the 'opening' is then exposed... the dripping then ensues.

Now, having said all that, and believing that I had realized that the pressure test also confirmed my suspicions, what caught me off guard was what happened when we finally DID arrive back to our RV Lot. NO MORE DRIPPING, NONE, EVEN SINCE WE'VE BEEN PARKED FOR OVER A WEEK.
My suspicions have now been 'un'confirmed!

Now, I'm not complaining that this is the case, as NOT having any radiator leak is certainly a GOOD thing, but now I'm wondering if 'something' happened to cause this sudden 'fix', or supposed fix.

'Could' it have been the residual 'stop leak' in the coolant, that the shop's pressure test somehow then 'lodged' into the culprit area, stopping the leak? Maybe. That's about my ONLY resolution, or thought, that 'could' be the case.

I guess I'm sticking with that thought.

Though, of course, on the next trip, we'll then 'see' if this theory holds up. : )

We'll certainly keep the forum abreast of what happens then. It's July, we've got 3 birthdays coming up in the early/middle of August, so I can imagine we might just 'take a little trip' to see someone(two sons, and a wife!) who this applies to...
Old 07-09-2020, 11:42 PM   #28

THOR #4735
'another' update:

after sitting/parked for over a week and a half, with absolutely not a single 'drip' from the radiator, I woke up this morning to suddenly a 1/2 full gallon container, overnight, and still dripping profusely and regular... crazy.

after I just thought that 'maybe' it has 'fixed' itself, right?! No go.

We'll see how 'much' now eventually leaks out, since I'm parked and no plans in the near future to travel, anyway. We've already collected 2 1/2 gallons overnight. : /

man!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:47 PM   #29

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
IMO you are going to have to bite the bullet and fix it, or have it fixed. The question is, now, or wait until there is more damage and the cost is even more.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:51 PM   #30

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
That's not good news. The bright side is you are home so can plan for repairs.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:52 PM   #31

THOR #4735
well, my view is actually 'what' 'more damage' could be caused by simply sitting? The engine's not running. The transmission is not flowing coolant. Nothing.

Now, when I get ready to 'go'- eventually, yes, either I'll 'head' to a place to have it replaced, or I will have a 'mobile mechanic' come to me, or maybe, I'll just continue monitoring how it responds to travel, maintain the fluid levels, and see if actually the problem is not a 'problem' when traveling - which it has not been.
The times it has leaked have only been when parked.

Tags
coolant, drip, leak, radiator