Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2022, 02:53 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Wow lots of light bulbs came on here.

* I always read about Plant 750, never knew it was an original Four Winds facility. Is the ACE made there too and is it original Four Winds?

* When we 1st decided to buy an RV we were wanted a C Class. I believe it was a Four Winds 28z So saw where they were sold at McClain RV and Camping World. One McClains is about 20 minute from our house; so we go there to see it. McClains Corinth told us they DID NOT SELL THORs!!! Being uninformed; I argued with them, because I had seen them on a McClains website. Turns out it was a McClains dealership in Oklahoma that sold the Thors NOT McClains in Texas In a strange case of irony, it is where I would first see the Winnebago which at the time we thought was way out of our price range. So we drive another hour or so to Sherman Texas to a Camping World. Worst experience ever. It was like they assumed we would not buy anything so they treated us like it. They were right because we didn't care much for what we saw. I called Thor who told us about a Quantum and MHSRV who to me is the only legit Thor Dealer I can find anywhere near Dallas?

* We would make several trips to MHSRV, the Quantum was just not us, we fell in love with the ACE 29.3 with the Residential Fridge. That is when I joined this site. We bought one, but it never passed PDI so we had to walk from the deal. Then Thor discontinued the ACE 29.3

* This took us to the Windsports & Hurricanes. The 29M models were too long so we decided to go with the 27B, we bought a Windsport and had a even longer list of dealer damaged items so it never passed PDI either Thor was great trying to find us other units on a National search but they were few units; and as fate would have it Thor discontinued the 27Bs !!! I gave up... 6 months later the Winnebago 29ve fell in our lap. By then I was very anal about PDIs, took me 5 hours to go through everything but it was a perfect coach with zero issues, so I became a SOB.

How’s your Vista holding up? We bought the same model in 2017 and it was terrific during its PDI and first couple of trips. Went into a downward spiral pretty quickly though and ended up being the most problematic of the 4 motor homes I’ve had in recent years. The least problematic was my Thor Freedom Elite! I supposed my Vista was an outlier since most people find Winnebago to be one of the better brands,

Old 04-04-2022, 03:24 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If folks spent about 30 minutes reading some of the posts on the Winnebago forum they may not continue to believe Winnebago quality is all that great. Winnebago owners are getting a little more vocal about issues and problems getting warranty work done because of parts shortages.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:26 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
For whatever the reason, Freedon Traveler has its own website. It’s not on Thor site. I think that new, it’s exclusive to camping world.
ACE, Windsport, Hurricane and Freedom Traveler are all made in plant 750. The Freedom series of RV is made and sold by Camping World. Basically the Freedom Travelers are a cheaper version of the ACE and are made for a Camping World which is near an established Thor MC dealer carrying the ACE.
The ACE is a Thor MC creation made to combine the best ideas found in a medium size class A combined with the best features of a class C. The idea was to combine all the creature confronts in a 27 to 30 ft coach and sell it for under around $45,000 (dealer cost) in 2012.
The Hurricane and Windsports were the larger size coach with all the option s in the 29 to 35 foot size. Price was to be below the $95,000 Miramar. Over time the dealers have requested different models of all the designs and plant 750 switched to batch production limiting the models and sizes in order to stream line production. In 2017 and 2018 plant 750 was unable to meet the dealers request for coaches, so the harder and more complicated coaches and the number of options for the coaches were reduced.
There was a corporate decision (Thor MC) in 2019 to upgrade the entire line of Hurricanes and Windsports to better compete with Forest River and Winnebago. This increased the coaches weight so that 22.5 rims are found on all but the 29 ft models. Even though the dealer price of the coaches has doubled over the past 8 years, plant 750 is unable to produce enough coaches to meet dealer orders.

The current limiting factor is MorRyde's ability to modify the Ford chassis to plant 750 specifications. MorRyde is currently enlarging their class A modification facility. Hopefully soon there will a more diverse and comprehensive line of of Plant 750 coaches.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote