Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #1454
Digital TV's

As we were checking into an RV park in Fredericksburg, Texas earlier this month, the lady asked if we had "digital" TV's. I did not know. She said that only digital TV's would work with their cable system. So, we we hooked up to the cable box, only one of our TV's would work. I have looked at the paperwork on the three TV's that came with this 2015 Thor Miramar 32.1 and I cannot find a reference to "digital" on any manual. So, I guess I have one "digital" TV. Now, what do I have to do make the other TV sets work in the RV?

This issue is separate and apart from our "ghost" problem with the TV's. We have never, repeat NEVER had good reception from all three TV's in this RV when hooked up to RV park cable access. One TV will work, while the other two are "snowy". But it's not always the same TV that works. It's like they take turns. The problem is compounded because Camping World and the alternate RV repair shop we have used do not have a cable access for RV's so they can see the problem and/or try to replicate it. I can almost understand the small "mom and pop" place not having a hookup, but Camping World? Gee whiz, repairing products they sell is supposed to be their business.

So, back to the problem. What do I need to do to ensure that I can utilize "digital only" cable hook up? We have Time Warner in our home, and we had to get little digital gadgets for our antique TV's in the house. For our added pleasure, the gadgets were installed free of charge.....until DEC 2016, at which time all of TWC will be "digital" and they will then charge us $5.00 per month for each device. Yay!

David

Old 10-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
What year is your motorhome? It is very likely that all your TVs are digital at this point (especially if they are all flat-screen).

You can also check by just going to the channel scan menu on the TV. If it is digital it will list out digital channels (digital channels have a dash in them: 4-1, 7-2, etc. although some TVs will convert that into a simple #).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #3

THOR #1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
What year is your motorhome? It is very likely that all your TVs are digital at this point (especially if they are all flat-screen).

You can also check by just going to the channel scan menu on the TV. If it is digital it will list out digital channels (digital channels have a dash in them: 4-1, 7-2, etc. although some TVs will convert that into a simple #).
It is a 2015 Miramar. All three TV's are flat screen. Next time I get it out of the shop (next week I hope), I will check into the digital channel 4-1, 7-2, status. I believe they all have that. If they are all "digital", we are back to chasing "ghosts" again. Thanks for the help.

David
Old 10-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
We had the same problem recently.

The last time we were at Fort Wilderness I hooked up to cable. (The time before we used the antenna). I have a 2015 Vegas. It has a Sankyo TV in the bedroom and two Seiki (Indian manuf) TVs in the living room and outside. When I did scans on all three TVs only the bedroom Sankyo picked up the cable channels.

That was odd because I had used cable at a site in the mountains in PA and at Hershey Campgrounds and when we scanned all three TVs picked up the channels.

I do plan to replace both Seiki TVs with LGs eventually.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #5

THOR #1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
We had the same problem recently.

The last time we were at Fort Wilderness I hooked up to cable. (The time before we used the antenna). I have a 2015 Vegas. It has a Sankyo TV in the bedroom and two Seiki (Indian manuf) TVs in the living room and outside. When I did scans on all three TVs only the bedroom Sankyo picked up the cable channels.

That was odd because I had used cable at a site in the mountains in PA and at Hershey Campgrounds and when we scanned all three TVs picked up the channels.

I do plan to replace both Seiki TVs with LGs eventually.
That scenario is exactly what we have been having since we bought this thing. We have scanned them all, every time, and we have yet to have all three TV's work. When we tell the service writers and techs about it, they just shrug and look at me like I have an extra head. I am out of ideas.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:45 PM   #6

THOR #2601
I was surprised when the two Seikis didn't scan at Disney since they did scan on the cable in PA. I'm sure it is something about the Seiki's tuner so I'm not even going to get excited about it. Just going to replace them with LGs and be done with it since neither of the Seiki's appear to be HD anyway.

And when I did the scans it acted like there was no input going to the Seiki's from the cable but I know that's not the case since they did scan somewhere else. And they do scan on the antenna.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 10-29-2015, 05:34 PM   #7

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #2474
Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Just a thought. You have a 1 cable input and 3 TV's, so there has to be a distribution Box or else a cable splitter between the TV's. The distribution box should have controls for each TV. The button for Cable has to be on for each TV. If using a splitter, then check it. I am sure with that new a rig and flat screen all tv's are digital.
Mel
Old 10-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I have a 2015 Hurricane with 3 Seiki TV's and I had a problem when we check in at a park. It tuned out there is a setting in setup for source that I had to change. Very simple and I got all the channels after that
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #9

THOR #2601
Bruce -- do remember what the setting was for the Seikis. The time they worked at Hershey I just went to the scan function, selected Cable and then Auto Scan. It found the channels avail. But at Disney the Seikis found no channels on Auto Scan and Cable. We did notice the Sankyo in the bedroom finds all the channels with the dash indicating it has a digital tuner. The Seikis to my recollection never found dash channels. My suspicion is it does not have a digital tuner. Seems it will only detect rf channels. This is why I'm going to replace both of them with LGs.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 10-29-2015, 11:43 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Has anyone tried this to see if it works?

click menu
click 0,0,0,0, the service menu will open
scroll and click others
scroll and click other settings
scroll down to cable qam - switch it to on

I saw this on a site where folks were talking about the inability of picking up digital channels on a Seiki television. Supposedly after doing the above and then running another channel scan it should pick up the digital channels that are in QAM format.

I haven't tried it so I don't know what it does.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:45 AM   #11

THOR #2601
Dave -- we are going back to Disney from 3-6 Nov. I'll try the procedure you posted while there. I'll let you know if it works. If it does, I'll add it in the next revision to the Axis/Thor Manual I developed.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 10-30-2015, 02:01 AM   #12

THOR #2544
bevedfelker, I can't for the life of me remember. It was in the settings section where you select the Cable system type and there was two choices. I changed it to the other one and then did a rescan and it found all the available channels. The first time I did the same as you, I selected cable and an auto scan and it didn't find any cable channels. Good luck and let us know if you are successful.

I would check it for you but I took my Hurricane in this morning to have some warranty work completed and front and real sway bars.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:36 AM   #13

THOR #2601
I was on an AVS forum and there are horror stories beyond the pale about Seiki TVs. apparently it has something to do with QAM to get it to scan. There was a description to go to the Channel Tab, select Tuner to QAM, enter the 5 digit unlock code (31415), then do the auto scan.

Then there was also the procedure described by Dave that also gets you to Cable QAM to be able to do the scan.

I'll try both procedures -- but they are both beyond BS to get your TV to ID channels. Still going to replace with LGs -- Plug in, turn on, scan, drink a beer.

So now to add to the mechanical/automotive engineer (steering & handling), electrical engineer (battery/charger operation), I can also add electronic engineer (TV tuning). This is getting tough on a guy with an BS in Education and an MA in Guidance and Counseling.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 10-30-2015, 01:17 PM   #14

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
FWIW... I've never had any problem with the 2 Seiki TVs in mine. Scans and finds the OTA and cable channels w/o any hassle if I have the antennae booster and A/B switch in the right position/s.

We all get an education on the various equipment in these homes on wheels though.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #15

THOR #2544
Ed, don't get too frustrated. On mine it was very simple. One of the cable options was "STD" but I don't remember the one that worked. Just switch it from the one it is on to the other and then scan. You only have to change it one time unless the next RV park has another cable system. It must happen all the time with other brands as the park manager knew exactly what the problem was when I complained. Hang in there Ed and enjoy your Coach.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:20 PM   #16

THOR #2601
Bruce -- I did STD and every other option that was listed - same result no channels found. I did not ask any questions at the registration desk -- probably should have because I bet I'm not the only one with this problem.

Oh yea -- and the antenna booster was OFF (before any asks).
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 10-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #17

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
Does anyone know what brand of TV's are coming in new on Axis 24.1's?
Old 10-30-2015, 07:34 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #2521
2016 Vegas 24.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunter View Post
Does anyone know what brand of TV's are coming in new on Axis 24.1's?
Our 2016 Vegas 24.1 came with 3 Seiki 32".

We had the same issue with the scans when we first got it. I gave up after playing with it for an hour. Later on, I decided to give it one more try. That is when I found there were three different options available for scanning. One was standard. Sorry I cannot remember the other two. But one of them finally worked. No problems since.
I would go check it, but it is currently in it's winter storage lot - bummer!

Turns out the Seiki's have been pretty good, but only after you figure out how to tune them. No other issues at all with them.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:22 PM   #19

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Angry Seiki issues with select digital cable providers

Well, we are at Fort Wilderness NOW, and the Seiki's won't pick up signal. We have had similar issues at other parks, either no channels found or not all channels found and those found were fuzzy. I spoke with Rick, an engineer here at the campground, and he said he only has problems with Seiki's and most Element's. It appears that the proprietary sustem used to create the digital signal for the cable provided throughout the part cannot be decoded by these sets.
I tried both solutions offered, but the solutions clearly were not for my models as with 0 0 0 0 option there was no entry for cable qam; and for the other option, again the selection was not san option to selct. Back to square one.
By the way, my models are: SE32HY10 (2 of these) & SE24HE03
I am frustrated because I aid for these optional sets, and that they do not function on cable in 75% of the parks I visit is uncceptable.
Any other options for me to try while I am at Fort Wilderness?
Old 11-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #20

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Thor installed obsolete Seiki TV's in my Motorhome

The 3 Seiki TV's installed in my 2015 ACE 30.2 have NO Qam tuners--which is why I have been unable to access and enable it!!!!
Shame on Thor for installing TV's that clearly will not work with the digital systems that many campgrounds are adopting. Absolutely no excuse to charge me for options that are OBSOLETE at the time of delivery.
I have to say that I have not had issues with Thor's Customer support, they have been helpful and supportive. Let's see what happens when I tell them these TV's need to be replaced.