Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2020, 11:42 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.4
State: California
THOR #12011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordSanClemente View Post
As the O/P on this post I wanted to thank everyone that contributed!!!
We ended up buying a 30.3 with 2 A/C's at a dealership in phoenix. It was a 2019 with only 4,200 miles.
We wish we could use it more right now...
thanks again!
Congratulations. I’m sure you’ll be very happy with it. Hoping we can get out soon, also.

Old 06-04-2020, 02:31 AM   #22

Model: ACE
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #16950
We have a 30.2 2019 ACE and it only has one unit... seems to work fine for us. Last week we were in Mrytle Beach and jesus it was hot and muggy and was just fine in the coach
Old 06-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #23

State: Florida
THOR #17954
Our Thor ACE 30.1 only has one 15,000BTU A/C unit. WE live in Florida and Camped in the 90 degree heat here an in DC last June. With the grandkids we spent a few days inside not many. Guess we are lucky our motorhome stays nice and cool. Matter of fact at night it gets down right cold. Therm set at 75-76. Heat other than when driving has not been an issue. Worst case, we run the gen and cool it down when driving
Old 06-04-2020, 10:35 PM   #24

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Hey everyone; I'm finding this discussion very curious. I noted that several people mentioned having a 2018 ACE 30.2 like I do. Some said they have a single air conditioner & some say two. What gives? Mine only has one & is the same model. Did they start adding a 2nd air conditioner part way through that manufacturing year or was a second one an option I didn't know about?

I guarantee you it would be awesome to have two & I'm not sure I would ever purchase another rig with just one. I'm currently at a famcamp in California for the duration of the shutdown. It's not dry here but it's not really humid either. Right now it's 104 F outside. I have my back end blocked off from the front, the air vents only open in the back, arctx in all the usual places, a portable fan going - and the best I can do is 88 F. It will cool down by about 1900 hrs and then I'll open up the space again & fix supper.

I think I do fairly well this way, but I'd sure love an inexpensive way to cool my rig down more efficiently. I know it would be miserable in here if it were very humid outside at this temperature. Anyone know what the deal is with the two versus one unit in the same model & year rig? Also, I'd love to hear from the Gritz & all my favorite guys out there who've helped me out with so many more important issues over my year & a half of fulltiming. Thanks as always guys!
Old 06-04-2020, 11:51 PM   #25

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Girl View Post
Hey everyone; I'm finding this discussion very curious. I noted that several people mentioned having a 2018 ACE 30.2 like I do. Some said they have a single air conditioner & some say two. What gives? Mine only has one & is the same model. Did they start adding a 2nd air conditioner part way through that manufacturing year or was a second one an option I didn't know about?

I guarantee you it would be awesome to have two & I'm not sure I would ever purchase another rig with just one. I'm currently at a famcamp in California for the duration of the shutdown. It's not dry here but it's not really humid either. Right now it's 104 F outside. I have my back end blocked off from the front, the air vents only open in the back, arctx in all the usual places, a portable fan going - and the best I can do is 88 F. It will cool down by about 1900 hrs and then I'll open up the space again & fix supper.

I think I do fairly well this way, but I'd sure love an inexpensive way to cool my rig down more efficiently. I know it would be miserable in here if it were very humid outside at this temperature. Anyone know what the deal is with the two versus one unit in the same model & year rig? Also, I'd love to hear from the Gritz & all my favorite guys out there who've helped me out with so many more important issues over my year & a half of fulltiming. Thanks as always guys!

Buy a small portable AC at Lowe’s or equivalent. Mine cost $300. It vents out a convenient window and you can move it to the bedroom or wherever you need it. It’s a bit cumbersome and we only take ours when we expect nasty heat. Mostly we use it at home to keep the bedroom cool at night without cooling the whole house.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:58 PM   #26

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Buy a small portable AC at Lowe’s or equivalent. Mine cost $300. It vents out a convenient window and you can move it to the bedroom or wherever you need it. It’s a bit cumbersome and we only take ours when we expect nasty heat. Mostly we use it at home to keep the bedroom cool at night without cooling the whole house.
Thanks Pete! Are you able to use your regular 110 outlets in your rig or did it need to go out to the 20 amp at the pole (which would limit using it to non boondocking locations). I have a 30 amp rig.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:15 AM   #27

THOR #17954
Even the 2020 ACE 30.1 has only one A/C unit. They’ve upped the BTU to 27000 verses 15000. BTU is the cooling capability, basically, although it a little more complex. Needless to say the higher the BTU rating the larger area it can cool or the faster it can cool. Now The Thor engineers decided 15000 was all that is needed. Oh well , in 90 to 100 degrees the pre 2020’ s struggle at times. One thing to check is your air filter and outside drainage. On hot days there should be a steady flow of water flowing from your roof unit and puddling on the ground somewhere. When your cooling your removing humidity from the air in your RV. Drains can plug and also have A/C charge checked. Loss of Freon loss of cooling.
Now as for adding a second unit, if you have a bedroom vent fan it can be done. Biggest issue is wiring. Roof fan run on 12 volt, A/C 110 volt. A new wiring system must be run. Now if you can get a qualified, certified shop to install a new unit go for it. I fear cost will be much more than $1000.00.
Best of Luck, God Bless be safe
Old 06-05-2020, 12:28 AM   #28
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The 2021 ACE specs list 2 13.5K BTU units as standard on all 30.X. The 27.x has one 15K BTU unit.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:33 AM   #29

THOR #17954
Yup 2021 not 2020. Only one 27000 BTU unit. Prior years one 15000 BTU unit.2021 will have new Ford 7.3 V8 and new Ford F53 chassis which includes 22 inch verses 19.5 tires. It’s a nice change
Old 06-05-2020, 12:45 AM   #30
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke D View Post
Yup 2021 not 2020. Only one 27000 BTU unit. Prior years one 15000 BTU unit.2021 will have new Ford 7.3 V8 and new Ford F53 chassis which includes 22 inch verses 19.5 tires. It’s a nice change
Who makes a 27k BTU unit? Are you sure it’s no 2 13.5K units? 13.5*2=27
Old 06-05-2020, 12:48 AM   #31

Model: 3719 Newmar
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Who makes a 27k BTU unit? Are you sure it’s no 2 13.5K units? 13.5*2=27

It’s two 13,500.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:55 AM   #32

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
It’s two 13,500.

Correct , me bad, 2021 is two factory install 13500 BTU units, replacing one 15,000 BTU. 2021 Specs show 27000 BTU. Thor needs to correct that it’s two units. 15000 BTU probably biggest for Motorhome. Dometic’s largest is 15000 BTU

Sorry... God Bless be safe
Old 06-05-2020, 12:57 AM   #33

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Thanks Pete! Are you able to use your regular 110 outlets in your rig or did it need to go out to the 20 amp at the pole (which would limit using it to non boondocking locations). I have a 30 amp rig.

Mine is a 30A rig too but I added a separate 20A power inlet in my electrical compartment that is wired to a dedicated outlet in the kitchen area of my rig. I can then use an outdoor extension cord to plug into the power pedestal from the compartment. I use my dedicated circuit for a space heater on cold days and my portable AC on hot days and it leaves my factory coach service to do it’s regular duty. If I hadn’t run the extra circuit I’d probably just run an extension cord out the window to the pedestal. You might be able to run a small portable along with the roof top unit on the existing 30A system but it would leave very little extra for the coffee maker or microwave and you’d probably trip a breaker every once in a while.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:58 AM   #34

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
It’s two 13,500.

Yup me bad, 2021 Thor Specs on A/C incorrect. There are two 13500 BTU units. Wonder if service upgraded to 50 Amp
Sorry... God Bless be safe
Old 06-05-2020, 01:00 AM   #35

THOR #17954
Nice idea
Old 06-05-2020, 01:04 AM   #36

THOR #17954
No problem me spec wrong. 2021 two 13500 units.
Sorry me bad. Stay safe god bless
Old 06-05-2020, 01:18 AM   #37

THOR #13770
Quote:
Mine is a 30A rig too but I added a separate 20A power inlet in my electrical compartment that is wired to a dedicated outlet in the kitchen area of my rig. I can then use an outdoor extension cord to plug into the power pedestal from the compartment. I use my dedicated circuit for a space heater on cold days and my portable AC on hot days and it leaves my factory coach service to do it’s regular duty. If I hadn’t run the extra circuit I’d probably just run an extension cord out the window to the pedestal. You might be able to run a small portable along with the roof top unit on the existing 30A system but it would leave very little extra for the coffee maker or microwave and you’d probably trip a breaker every once in a while.
Hey Pete; you've given me much to consider. To date, doing my own wiring is still outside my skillset...so I either havta pay someone to do it or consider other options - especially since I boondock when not camp hosting or at miltary famcamps. Thanks again!
Old 06-05-2020, 01:24 AM   #38

THOR #17954
Quote:

I wonder when boon docking is it worth adding another genset[emoji30]. Portable of course. I’m sure a 15 amp circuit would run a portable A/C unit. Most likely not worth it
Old 06-05-2020, 01:29 AM   #39

THOR #17954
Quote:
Hey Pete; you've given me much to consider. To date, doing my own wiring is still outside my skillset...so I either havta pay someone to do it or consider other options - especially since I boondock when not camp hosting or at miltary famcamps. Thanks again!

Boondock ing creates a whole new issue. A small genset will run a potable A/C unit. They really only require 15 amps. Of course the expense probably not worth it. Those guiet Honda’s are nice but not cheap.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:43 AM   #40

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke D View Post
Boondock ing creates a whole new issue. A small genset will run a potable A/C unit. They really only require 15 amps. Of course the expense probably not worth it. Those guiet Honda’s are nice but not cheap.
Thanks Luke, another useful idea for me to kick around!