Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2019, 08:42 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #14342
Opinions of possible purchase

Hello all. Been out of the MH lifestyle since 2006 (had an '03 Four Winds 28a) and looking to wade back in. Initially was thinking of a Tiffin 36la in the $125K bracket but thinking may just start off small and see if we use it for the season. A 2006 Hurricane 34 n is local for $28K with 24K miles. He describes it as follows: 2006 Hurricane 34N
24,000 miles, Ford V-10, In Motion Direct TV Satellite, 3 slides, Automatic Levelers, Brand New Batteries, 2 AC units. Awnings are in great shape with no holes or rips. Generac generator that can run both AC units at the same time.Tires are in great shape but are out dated. Roof is also in good shape. There's really nothing this needs to get on the road and have fun. Great family RV!
Stored indoors since I’ve owned it (4 years). Kids are to involved with sports, so we don't have time to use it anymore. Just put into outdoor storage last month. Priced to sell quick.

It looks clean based on photos. I'm sure I need to have a thorough inspection and will replace the tires. Don't know about any slide outs, generator, fridge, etc. issues with Thor but had no problems with my '03. Have a 3,800 lbs boat I'd like to pull.

Any thoughts on this motorhome specifically or plan of going "thirfty" until we know we like the lifestyle is appreciated ! Thank you.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:32 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I would pay someone to inspect it. Also would have him sign affidavit about hidden damage or previous leak issues, etc. the 8 years before he had it would be the concern. Maybe Car-Fax it if that's possible?.?.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:45 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
If it was me I’d only consider machines close enough to me that I could go inspect personally and drive. If you are not confident In your ability to evaluate the RV bring someone along to help. Mostly I’d be looking for water damage and accident damage as well getting a sense of its overall appearance. If you are “handy” most RV systems are pretty straightforward to check and fix. If it presents well and doesn’t have water or accident damage I’d say go for it. It won’t depreciate much more for a few years so you shouldn’t lose much. 24k miles is all well and good but it’s 13 years old and that means it has spent a lot of time sitting still. Not necessarily a bad thing but it can be hard on any machine to be idle. I think you are wise to try a cheaper unit before you spend a bunch. Many of us have “interesting” (and expensive) stories of trading up as we learn what we really want in an RV - instead of what we thought we wanted! Good luck.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:09 PM   #4

State: California
THOR #14342
Thank you for the tips. It is less than 20 miles away so easy to visit. Do you know of a reputable mobile inspection outfit (in So CA or national chain) to recommend? For $28K I know to keep my expectations kinda low but would still like something that only needs minor work and maintenance to start. Thanks again for the input.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I missed the "early answers" portion of your thread, so I'll just wish you a welcome to the forum, and good luck with your search for the perfect RV!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote