Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I looked through a lot of RVs on dealer lots and at shows, and here are some of my personal observations.

For Thor class C's, the higher end Quantums did seem to have consistently higher fit and finish than the Four Winds/Chateau/Freedom Elite. Materials were mostly the same, except for some nicer cabinetry and more bells and whistles on the Quantums, but the Quantums seemed to be better put together and/or have better QC. So perhaps quality does go up with price.

The worst fit and finish I've seen was a particular Axis. Every door, drawer, and cabinet in that thing was crooked and didn't close properly.

Winnebagos seemed to be much better than Thor as far as quality. The wiring was much neater and well labeled, fiberglass roofs, good fit and finish, etc. We didn't like their interior designs as well, though, which is a big reason we bought a Thor.

I almost bought a 2017 Four Winds at a closeout price, but it had a bedroom window that wasn't installed properly and allowed water to get in, and there was water damage and mold all through the bedroom. It turns out that the hole for the window was cut too small, so the window was only partially inserted into the opening. The fact that a worker did this and that nobody at the factory noticed shows that there is really no QC going on.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #22

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
If you are doing some serious looking snap a photo of the nameplate before entering the coach. Then photo anything that stands out that you like or dislike. Later when sitting down and reviewing you can pull up the photos and start making your list of the ones to go back and look over the second. The third round is usually when you know which ones you want to try to cut a deal for.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #23

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Went from a Freedom Elite to an ACE and found improvements. Not many but some. Went from the ACE to a Hurricane and can definitely say, improvements have been made. Better latches on the storage compartments, better workmanship inside, but get this...no hood covers for the roof vents. What the heck is that???? Going to a DP for some improvements is out of the question. Maybe better handling, better ride but a DP has bought a whole lot more things to go wrong. No thanks. I realize that putting a house on wheels has its drawbacks but not going to spend well into 6 figures to "figure: it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I been wondering lately if the Thor Motorhome quality goes up with price.

Im not talking about the frames / Engine or Tranny (which I would expect all of DP to be better than a Gas Coach). Im talking about materials, workmanship, fit and finish etc. Like are the cargo doors and seals much better, Flooring, furniture, cabinets, showers, bedding, blinds etc.

From what I see on the Gas coaches .... not really..... just larger, more bells and whistles. But the all have same floor material, cabinets (pending color and some designs), bedding, blinds, same exact plactic shower stalls in all of them (just diff sizes).

But what about jumping from a Gas coach to the DP? Are the Palazzo much beter quaility than a Hurricane or Challenger? Looks like they have the same flooring and cabinets in the pictures online.

I have looked at many Thor Gas MH at CW and for the most part they all look about the same.

But the only DP I looked at were 5 + years old (they either keep the new DP locked or never have any in stock at my local CW).

If you look online it looks like the Palazzo are just a Gas coach materials put on DP chassis? But then as you go up (Aria, Venetian, Tuscany) they look like Tile floors, maybe better cabinets, showers etc??

What have you seen or experienced first hand in the Thor lineup? High price = better quiality? Looks to me you have to spend big money to get quality in a Thor.