Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: RW28
State: Florida
THOR #12200
To thor293 and vegasruv24.1, We will be leaving East New Mexico, by Clovis, on May 8th, 2019 heading towards Maryland. If yall can arrange it, we can pick up the wheels somewhere close to Tucumcari, NM and take them as far as Huntington/FoxFire, WV, close to the S. Ohio border. Below is our proposed route, if anyone else can help in the areas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190407_065719.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	16532  

Old 04-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #22

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
During our first trip with our new to us motorhome we had a blowout near Boston. Good Sam's Club wanted to tow it, but I said no, I want the tire changed. The only one they could find of the size I needed was an old worn out skin. Between the cost of the tire and the tire change cost, it was over $300.

I bought a new wheel and seven new tires and build a brush guard and rack for the spare. We kept the motor home for several years and never needed the spare, but knowing that we had the spare and tools to change it was very comforting, particularly when we were out in the boonies.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #23

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl5142 View Post
To thor293 and vegasruv24.1, We will be leaving East New Mexico, by Clovis, on May 8th, 2019 heading towards Maryland. If yall can arrange it, we can pick up the wheels somewhere close to Tucumcari, NM and take them as far as Huntington/FoxFire, WV, close to the S. Ohio border. Below is our proposed route, if anyone else can help in the areas
That is a very generous offer for sure but since I already have a spare it is not essential for me to get one of them and I think Vegas is not that enthralled about putting that much effort into giving something away. Thank you so much sir for even making the offer! If I had needed it, it would have been my worth while to make the 200 mile trip south to get it. I salute you!
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #24

State: Alabama
THOR #8871
Got two now

The salesmen tried to tell us we didn't need one. We actually located a place under our Freedom Elite for a spare tire, we just had to order the part to hold it up there. We also bought a bumper tire holder after we had a double flat on the freeway in front of Disneyland on Super Bowl Sunday last year.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #25

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Spare Tire

My 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS didn't come with a spare so I bought a spare tire, rim and spare tire trailer hitch receiver in order to have a spare at all times. I also bought a bottle jack and tire lug wrench in case I get stuck on my own. If I have to use the spare I plan on calling a service garage to change it if possible.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #26

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
I was trying not to do anything but have someone take them out of my garage.. they are in boxes... and a super rare find...and free...was hoping for a las vegas reader to say, hey I'll come and get them....doesn't seem like we have any other las vegas members here
I am going to be in Vegas with my RV in June. Would you mind waiting till then to clean out your garage?
Old 04-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
My first motorhome experience in rented Class C involved a tire separation in Colorado, on way back from Yellowstone. The MH had a spare tire and wheel, but no tools or jack to change it. That was the last time I left home without ability to change tire myself.

Years later I rented again from same company (after owning my own), and again tire and wheel, but no tools or jack, so I packed my own just in case.

I think much depends on tire/wheel and also motorhome size and weight. My present spare is a little larger and heavier than E-Series Class Cs, but still light enough to change easily. Up to 16-inch tires I’m still comfortable replacing it myself even though I have roadside coverage. The one time I had a blowout I was back on road in about half an hour instead of waiting a couple of hours for someone to show up. Easier tire changes is just one of many reasons I prefer smaller motorhomes; particularly those with single rear wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
.....cut......

We kept the motor home for several years and never needed the spare, but knowing that we had the spare and tools to change it was very comforting, particularly when we were out in the boonies.
Feeling comfortable or more secure is reason enough for me.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #28

Brand: Crossroads
State: Ohio
THOR #424
Still trying to get use to the fact that my new car comes with a patch kit and a can of Fix-A-Flat
Old 04-15-2019, 03:05 AM   #29

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
THOR #14761
Hey all love this conversation and I agree need to carry a spare tire if possible & bottle jack, at least for the front tires . I have a 34.2 Miramar and my best guess is the front tire will go, before one of the Dooleys in back. I can keep a spare in the rear Cargo hold.Does anybody else do this ? Or have a better idea ��
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #30

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDDOG View Post
Hey all love this conversation and I agree need to carry a spare tire if possible & bottle jack, at least for the front tires . I have a 34.2 Miramar and my best guess is the front tire will go, before one of the Dooleys in back. I can keep a spare in the rear Cargo hold.Does anybody else do this ? Or have a better idea ��
I don't carry a spare but when I did, I also carried pieces of wooden planks to stabilize the jack and a torque wrench. A pri bar is also useful for lifting the wheel onto the lugs.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #31

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I don’t carry a spare (19.5 inch) but would if I could find a way to do it. I’m still considering possibilities.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:28 PM   #32

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I carry a spare, but no jack or tools for it.

I've been stranded in a small town before for a part that wasn't available

and the time we had a blowout on the MH, they were able to send a roadside guy that didn't have a tire my size. Otherwise I'd have been waiting a lot longer than the hour and a half or whatever it was....

If I didn't already have a spare, I'd be tempted to go with just a tire and no rim, just as a gamble to save weight and money...but then you never know when your wheel gets damaged so that may not be the best gamble...
Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 PM   #33

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

.....cut.....

If I didn't already have a spare, I'd be tempted to go with just a tire and no rim, just as a gamble to save weight and money...but then you never know when your wheel gets damaged so that may not be the best gamble...
It’s possible to damage a steel wheel, but it’s not that common. The problem I do have with the “tire only” approach is that you can’t change it at all yourself, or with help from others. In an emergency, I wouldn’t feel comfortable because I often drive late at night, and wouldn’t want to sit for hours (potentially) until someone shows up.

As mentioned before, our tire separation years ago was a real problem I could have easily fixed in 30 minutes if only I had tools. The tire and wheel I had were useless for lack of jack and lug wrench.

I will admit I don’t like working on duallies, but would (and have) on 16” smaller sizes. It just takes a bit more time and planning.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:16 PM   #34

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
I'm not sure where I would store a 22.5 inch tire without a rim to avoid water and dirt getting inside the tire. If I were to use a toad, I might try the trunk or something, does anyone carry just the tire and where?

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:19 PM   #35

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Apr67, we are looking at being in Vegas the week of June 24th, what campground are you using out there? Thanks

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #36

THOR #14384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
I'm not sure where I would store a 22.5 inch tire without a rim to avoid water and dirt getting inside the tire. If I were to use a toad, I might try the trunk or something, does anyone carry just the tire and where?
Not sure dirt and grime are a problem, I see lots of semi's carrying loose tires as spares, I assume the tire changer just wipes it out and moves on.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #37

THOR #14384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
Apr67, we are looking at being in Vegas the week of June 24th, what campground are you using out there? Thanks
Not sure, my folks are arranging it. I think downtown.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:29 PM   #38

State: New Mexico
THOR #15493
Thanks for the great discussion.
I just picked up our first RV. A '19 A.C.E. 32.1
I do NOT like the idea that I don't have a spare -- not one bit.
I took a few pics of the underside of my rig. There is enough space there for a huge
tractor tire, nevermind relatively small 33" tire.
Now I just need to see if I have to come up with my own mounting system or if one already exists.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1NfzTbi8binGEAqo9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Htcnfv73xgFUfWkS8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1E4jFjwFr5PJiCDH6
Old 05-31-2019, 05:32 PM   #39

State: New Mexico
THOR #15493
BTW, since I don't know squat about larger motorcoach tires, not saying this is what I would go with, but does this link include the tire and the wheel (rim) or just the tire, and the picture for visual aid only?
75LBS that they list in product description certainly doesn't seem like enough weight.

https://www.amazon.com/Roadlux-Posit...dp/B017XTXGQK/
Old 05-31-2019, 07:37 PM   #40

THOR #2121
The 75 pounds should be for the tire only. My 16” tire and wheel weigh 75 pounds, so your combined weight should be much higher than that — well over 100 pounds I’d expect.

As far as mounting under chassis, you may want to measure between frame rail flanges to see if you have 33 inches clear; unless you plan to hang tire low below frame. Picture shows frame extension which could be different.