Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Agree with doglover except I wouldn't rely on dealer for most of the things you are apt to find on a PDI. Instead of refusing delivery over small repairs and adjustments (that admittedly should not be necessary !) I'd just do them myself. It's a good way to get acquainted with a big complex machine, it's satisfying and you KNOW it's done right. I've e probably spent a full day or more fixing stuff an still have a small list. It's rather fun work.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #42

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Agree with doglover except I wouldn't rely on dealer for most of the things you are apt to find on a PDI. Instead of refusing delivery over small repairs and adjustments (that admittedly should not be necessary !) I'd just do them myself. It's a good way to get acquainted with a big complex machine, it's satisfying and you KNOW it's done right. I've e probably spent a full day or more fixing stuff an still have a small list. It's rather fun work.
Shhhhhh! Everyone will want to have fun.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #43

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #7608
I am talking initial quality off the lot. It's horrible.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:18 PM   #44

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
first of all, I am not aware that ANY dealer can decide to 'not accept' or decide to not 'pay' for units THEY ordered! They would lose their contract quickly if so.
Delivery also has nothing to do with QC, and is performed by a separate individual delivery company that has no way to allow the dealer to 'not accept' the delivered unit, period. It just does not happen. What would the delivery driver do, drive it back to the factory?? no way. notta. does not happen.

All dealers have a contract with the companies that they are dealers for, and each contract says that if they order a unit, they must accept the unit, and THEN get with the factory if there are any defects or 'warranty' type repairs, period.
Dealers place ORDERS for the units they want...
Factories don't just 'send' units to dealers willy-nilly and then expect them to 'accept' them whether they like it or not.
Right now, most dealers are not receiving their ordered units quick enough, and certainly aren't in the business of 'turning away' ordered units just because they 'might' have some inherent issues - they ALL do!

Delivery companies only deliver the unit, they are not responsible for how the unit was built, or even what the dealer 'expects', but are only there to drive the unit to the dealer(motorized units), or tow/pull/trailer towables to the dealer. When they arrive, the dealer signs off on the new delivery, with the only exception being anything to do with the driving of the unit, such as damage during transit. This, though, has nothing to do with anything concerning the build of the coach.

I've delivered units from Newmar, Coachmen, and Fleetwood, and don't concern myself with how the unit looks, the floorplan, whether all the systems work properly, etc... only that it drives properly to the dealer. The delivery company and driver are not employees of the factory, and are not quality control people.
If I notice anything to do with the 'vehicle' performance, such as the engine, transmission, lights, instrument panel, tires, etc... I will take action, or alert the dealer at delivery... but the driver's job is not to 'inspect' the coach from an 'RV' build and systems standpoint.

Dealers take on the inspection of the 'RV' part once it reaches them. Some may do a systems check when it arrives, but MOST do NOT. Most 'assume' that the coach is in good order, brand new from the factory, and only get involved with any defects and/or warranty type repairs when the CUSTOMER gives them notice, AFTER the sale(PDI),unless, of course, it is so obvious to anyone in any precursory walkthru before then. Dealers understand defects, they deal with these new RVs everyday, but they do NOT want to take the time and money and effort to 'fix' anything UNTIL it is sold. Then they will be happy to help the customer and bill the factory for warranty work. Most factories frown on the dealer claiming warranty repairs are needing when the RV has not even been sold yet, it's just the way it works.

I think that most of us might assume that the 'higher' you go, as far as price of coaches, that you would expect better overall QC from the factory and/or dealers, but I've seen some of the same issues from various factories, no matter the name brand or price. You might not think so, at first, but there are so many less of the larger pricier coaches sold versus the number of 'entry level' makes, so it's safe to assume you'd hear more about the issues with these.

I would assume that rv dealers are like car dealers the vehicles sitting on there lots are not paid for till there sold .when they sell a unit they send the money to the manufacturer for the unit.now special orders is something else..
I think cw felt that Thor wasn't checking the coaches close enough before they delivered. I never bought a new one but you can be assured I would never stand for them telling me it was going to take more than a week to fix anything.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:53 PM   #45

THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by churd9 View Post
I would assume that rv dealers are like car dealers the vehicles sitting on there lots are not paid for till there sold .when they sell a unit they send the money to the manufacturer for the unit.now special orders is something else..
uh, NO, and NO!

RV manufacturers don't just 'send' dealers units without PAYMENT IN FULL before they ship. That's the standard deal and contract in the industry. Certainly Newmar does not send a KingAire worth $750,000 to just 'sit on a dealer's lot until it's sold'!.... notta, doesn't happen.

All units are purchased and paid for by the dealer BEFORE they are shipped.

now, if you're confusing this with dealership 'floor planning' financing, which is with outside third party finance companies, then, yes, I'm sure some may choose to do that.... but the factory has their money before the unit leaves them. period.

by the way, no, cars don't just 'sit' on dealer lots until they are sold, either. Ask any dealer how me he/she pays to finance the vehicles while they just 'sit' on their lot, and they'll likely tell you that it's the price they pay to have the inventory they have, otherwise they could only order and receive cars as they sold them - getting into a cash flow crunch will put any business OUT of business the quickest. It's also akin to saying that when a Ford dealer goes under, Ford just stops by and picks up all their unsold vehicles... no.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:17 PM   #46

THOR #6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
uh, NO, and NO!

RV manufacturers don't just 'send' dealers units without PAYMENT IN FULL before they ship. That's the standard deal and contract in the industry. Certainly Newmar does not send a KingAire worth $750,000 to just 'sit on a dealer's lot until it's sold'!.... notta, doesn't happen.

All units are purchased and paid for by the dealer BEFORE they are shipped.

now, if you're confusing this with dealership 'floor planning' financing, which is with outside third party finance companies, then, yes, I'm sure some may choose to do that.... but the factory has their money before the unit leaves them. period.

by the way, no, cars don't just 'sit' on dealer lots until they are sold, either. Ask any dealer how me he/she pays to finance the vehicles while they just 'sit' on their lot, and they'll likely tell you that it's the price they pay to have the inventory they have, otherwise they could only order and receive cars as they sold them - getting into a cash flow crunch will put any business OUT of business the quickest. It's also akin to saying that when a Ford dealer goes under, Ford just stops by and picks up all their unsold vehicles... no.

Well if they have to pay for them before there sold then they have the right to refuse delivery ,if there just thrown together
Floor planning for instance gm is done by gmac so gm still owners the vehicle my best friend owners two dealer
You think dealership can afford to have all those car sitting around till there sold...lol not
Old 05-23-2017, 11:36 PM   #47
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
It's a house in a earthquake preventive maintenance will be required. If you are unable to perform maintenance yourself or are not willing to to pay someone maybe a RV is not a good choice.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:38 PM   #48

THOR #6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
It's a house in a earthquake preventive maintenance will be required. If you are unable to perform maintenance yourself or are not willing to to pay someone maybe a RV is not a good choice.

That's for sure I would not suggest buying one if you can't do repairs
Old 05-24-2017, 12:56 AM   #49

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Hard to believe it is being suggested that some campers -- for whatever reason -- who can't fix or maintain things themselves or pay to have it done should reconsider RV ownership.

Granted there will always be upkeep, but RVs have gotten way more complicated than is necessary to enjoy nature. Many of the nice things people want are hardly necessary. Would it not be better to offer a super-simple RV as an option than none at all?

Get rid of slides, levelers, powered steps, and most of the electronic stuff some seniors can't work or understand anyway, and it would eliminate half the problems. Offer all-electric option and make it simpler yet.

In my opinion the industry has convinced too many that all kinds of features are necessary (like three TVs), and probably because dealers, who control ordering process, see these upgrades as a cash cow for their service departments.

Sorry for the rant -- but camping doesn't really require us to take our house along with us.

If you want a "house" on wheels, there isn't anything wrong with that. But let's keep in mind that some may benefit from less RV.

And then there are campers like me who can fix most anything, or pay to have it done, but prefer simplicity for the pureness of it. I have things I can do that I find more enjoyable than fixing or maintaining RVs.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:00 AM   #50

THOR #6481
See that's where your miss informed I consider mine to be a Hilton on wheels not a camper I really don't like camping if I did I would buy a tent
Old 05-24-2017, 02:17 AM   #51

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Also, there are lots of units available without slides, levelers and electric gizmos
Old 05-24-2017, 02:33 AM   #52
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by churd9 View Post
See that's where your miss informed I consider mine to be a Hilton on wheels not a camper I really don't like camping if I did I would buy a tent
He is misinformed about a lot of things but likes to pontificate on everything, even on things he hasn't a clue. Some of us like three tv's, I guess I am one who likes glampimping over simplicity for the pureness of it.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:28 AM   #53

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Ok fellas that's enough testosterone fueled finger pointing. Play nice with your toys or go to bed with no dinner. Let's just all agree there is something for everyone, some like fixing things and some don't and there is no sex in the champagne room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	5020  
Old 05-30-2017, 06:18 AM   #54

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Well our coach is at the dealer to get fixed so we will see what they are able to do. We love our floor plan and honestly I would rather have the problems now instead of later on just sucks to go throw them at all. You would think when there is a problem that the manufacturer would be more responsive. Crossing my fingers that CW can get all the problems fixed even thought it's not their fault that there is problems