Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis
State: Louisiana
THOR #13864
axis "salesman switch" master switch amp rating

Anyone know what the amp rating is on the switch by the door that triggers the relay to disconnect the house batteries. i found this label by it that says 350A but don't know for sure if that is the label for it. When i google the part number on it, nothing comes back. Attached is a picture.

I'm wiring in new batteries and the 2000 watt inverter with a 30amp transfer switch and running 1/0 gauge wires.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site.

What year is your coach? (The year will determine what that solenoid is.) Most likely it is a Trombetta.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:27 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Not sure But I would "think" it would be around 30 amp. You could use a bosh relay... I have used many of them in the past with car/jeep projects.

Where are you installing your inverter? I installed mine next to the fuse box under my bed. You can tap into the 12 v power and gound (saves wiring) and it up like the factory would have. That way when I turn off the switch at the door everything goes off. I also installed a seperate switch by the door for the inverter. That way I can turn on and off to save battery (when not needed) and it shows the status / faults with inverter.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:28 PM   #4

THOR #13864
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Welcome to the site.

What year is your coach? (The year will determine what that solenoid is.) Most likely it is a Trombetta.
2018, Found the model number on the back after unscrewing it.

Kib lr9806t3-bip
Old 11-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #5

THOR #13864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Not sure But I would "think" it would be around 30 amp. You could use a bosh relay... I have used many of them in the past with car/jeep projects.

Where are you installing your inverter? I installed mine next to the fuse box under my bed. You can tap into the 12 v power and gound (saves wiring) and it up like the factory would have. That way when I turn off the switch at the door everything goes off. I also installed a seperate switch by the door for the inverter. That way I can turn on and off to save battery (when not needed) and it shows the status / faults with inverter.
We have the 25.3 axis no storage under the bed, but there is room behind the converter to put the inverter. Also going to put the two batteries there also. Inverter has a 30amp transfer switch in it. Existing battery wires are too small of a guage for 2k inverter.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:33 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
the inverter in my 31E is wired directly to the battery using 0 gauge wire. do not go though the store/use wiring!

FYI my switch (manual knob) is rated for about 300A but there is a circuit breaker going to it for about 70A.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:18 AM   #7

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzshack View Post
We have the 25.3 axis no storage under the bed, but there is room behind the converter to put the inverter. Also going to put the two batteries there also. Inverter has a 30amp transfer switch in it. Existing battery wires are too small of a guage for 2k inverter.
Oh, thats great - awesome RV - lol. What do you plan on running on the 2000K inverter? Microwave? Hair dryer? I have not tired either but it might run one at a time with my setup.

I was going to go with a small inverter (600 - 800 watt) to just run on one TV and charge my computer and charge a couple of phones until I found this Aims 1200 inverter with 20 amp auto transfer switch. (Search Youtube for "2trailhikers" or the Aims 1200 watt inverter install - I followed that almost exactly).

Your right, the OEM wiring is not enough for 2000 watt but for my needs I didnt need one that big. You could hook it up like I have mine but it might limit you to say 1500 - 1600 watts on the 4 gauge. But perhaps that more than enough for your needs? Only you can decide that.

I was at first aprehensive on my install (small gauge wire) but im very happy I installed it this way. For one it was much simpler, two works perfect, three I didnt waste other valuable space inside or outside my Axis (Like I was going to do with my small inverter Idea).

It has more than enough juice for 2 tv's at the same time, 2 lap tops charging, and 2 cell phone with power to spare. It also can run the frige if I want (It was on the same breaker so I bet yours the same). So now I have a 3 way frige if I want (but I been using Gas instead to save battery juice).

I also installed 2 Full River AGM 6V under my steps. Tight fit but the work great. The best thing is NO MODES needed to install them and I have so much reserve power compared to the wimpy OEM batteries.

Think about it, Search the forum for my writeups (I dont know how to do those links but if JamieGeek is reading this Im sure he will attach them to this thread - lol).

Or shoot me a PM and I would be glad to answer any question. Im very happy with my setup.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 11-30-2018, 01:38 AM   #8

THOR #13864
Quote:
Oh, thats great - awesome RV - lol. What do you plan on running on the 2000K inverter? Microwave? Hair dryer? I have not tired either but it might run one at a time with my setup.

I was going to go with a small inverter (600 - 800 watt) to just run on one TV and charge my computer and charge a couple of phones until I found this Aims 1200 inverter with 20 amp auto transfer switch. (Search Youtube for "2trailhikers" or the Aims 1200 watt inverter install - I followed that almost exactly).

Your right, the OEM wiring is not enough for 2000 watt but for my needs I didnt need one that big. You could hook it up like I have mine but it might limit you to say 1500 - 1600 watts on the 4 gauge. But perhaps that more than enough for your needs? Only you can decide that.

I was at first aprehensive on my install (small gauge wire) but im very happy I installed it this way. For one it was much simpler, two works perfect, three I didnt waste other valuable space inside or outside my Axis (Like I was going to do with my small inverter Idea).

It has more than enough juice for 2 tv's at the same time, 2 lap tops charging, and 2 cell phone with power to spare. It also can run the frige if I want (It was on the same breaker so I bet yours the same). So now I have a 3 way frige if I want (but I been using Gas instead to save battery juice).

I also installed 2 Full River AGM 6V under my steps. Tight fit but the work great. The best thing is NO MODES needed to install them and I have so much reserve power compared to the wimpy OEM batteries.

Think about it, Search the forum for my writeups (I dont know how to do those links but if JamieGeek is reading this Im sure he will attach them to this thread - lol).

Or shoot me a PM and I would be glad to answer any question. Im very happy with my setup.
He "2trailhikers" has some great video i've watch about all of them, we have the same year and floor plan as his.

Battle Born batteries had a cyber monday special on some "blimshed" batteries with full warranty so i have 2 coming in tomorrow. I'm going to put them behind the converter were i'm putting the inverter. Inverter is in the picture on the left just not mounted yet. Have to build a little subfloor/shelf above all them wires to put the batteries on. I'm not going to use that space under the steps anymore, too exposed.

I'm going to use some 1/0 gauge to go the couple of feet to the inverter, inverter also has a remote 12volt on off wire like a car radio. I'm going to connect it to the "house" relay switch. that way the inverter turns on and off with the main switch and not have to worry about the amp limit on the relay.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #9

THOR #13864
Quote:

He "2trailhikers" has some great video i've watch about all of them, we have the same year and floor plan as his.

Battle Born batteries had a cyber monday special on some "blimshed" batteries with full warranty so i have 2 coming in tomorrow. I'm going to put them behind the converter were i'm putting the inverter. Inverter is in the picture on the left just not mounted yet. Have to build a little subfloor/self above all them wires to put the batteries on. I'm not going to use that space under the steps anymore, too exposed.

I'm going to use some 1/0 gauge to go the couple of feet to the inverter, inverter also has a remote 12volt on off wire like a car radio. I'm going to connect it to the "house" relay switch. that way the inverter turns on and off with the main switch.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #10

THOR #12231
Thats awesome, That inverter is twice the size of mine!

Are the Battle Borns Lithium? How many are you going to install? What are the Amp Hours total? Are you changing the converter to charge them correctly or will your inverter do both (Invert/Convert)?

YOu can also build some storage under the steps and put stuff like dirty shoes and flip-flops in it and a flashlight.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #11

THOR #13864
Quote:
Thats awesome, That inverter is twice the size of mine!

Are the Battle Borns Lithium? How many are you going to install? What are the Amp Hours total? Are you changing the converter to charge them correctly or will your inverter do both (Invert/Convert)?

YOu can also build some storage under the steps and put stuff like dirty shoes and flip-flops in it and a flashlight.
2 for a total of 200amp hours

The inverter has a 80amp battery charger built in, i'm going to remove the charger in the converter box

good idea's for the storage in the old battery box.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #12

THOR #12231
Thats awesome. So like 180 usable amp hour power? Plus they are lighter and should last you 8 - 10 years!

I am impressed with my TWO 6V AMG 220 amp hour batteries (like 110 usable amps).

You will love your new setup!

I bet you can just bolt some sort of plastic tub under the steps (to keep is simple). That would be good enough for shoes and odds and ends.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #13

THOR #12231
Make sure you check all of the connections in that compartment before you close it up. I found a couple of the wires very loose (finger tight) on one or two connections in the fuse box and a few others that I think would be loose after 10K miles.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:11 PM   #14

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
I'm jumping in late here. Don't you love love the care that Thor assemblers put into the install? What a rat's nest!! And of course, the latching relay (Use/Store) is on the floor under all that. NO insulation on that live battery lead terminal. I tiddied mine up a bit and moved the relay up high where I can easily access it later. I have the same 25.4 as LWr. The water pump and strainer (full of plastic shavings from the tank install) is on the floor right there too. That got moved up onto a plywood mount with dampening along with an small accumulator (very dubious benefit, the SO didn't notice).
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #15

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
I'm jumping in late here. Very nice installation Jimmy!

Don't you love love the care that Thor assemblers put into the install? What a rat's nest!! And of course, the latching relay (Use/Store) is on the floor under all that. NO insulation on that live battery lead terminal. I too, tiddied mine up a bit and moved the relay up high where I can easily access it later. I have the same 25.4 as LWr. The water pump and strainer (full of plastic shavings from the tank install) is on the floor right there too. That got moved up onto a plywood mount with dampening along with an small accumulator (very dubious benefit, the SO didn't notice).

How about a photo of the fine install?
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote