Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2018, 03:14 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #12520
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
The normal life of a dpf filter for cummins is 200,000 miles or 150,000 hours per cummins
as far as the regen goes there is a differential pressure sensor that looks at inlet pressure verus outlet pressure and if they stray beyond there set limits then the {acm) after treatment control module thinks the dpf is plugged and want to do a regen.
A big misktake people make is there are 3 parts to a aftertreatment system
1 doc diesel oxidiation catylast
2. dpf diesel particulate filter
3. scr

The first 2 work together to trap soot in the doc and the dpf catches the ash from a regen,the scr system uses the def fluid to reduce nox levels by using 2 sensor called the inlet and outlet nox sensors normal engine inet nox is around 145-200 ppm and outlet has to be 80% less if not then check engine light,derated engine and finally shutdown.

but excessive regen issues could be for several reason from a stuck inrange differential sensor,exhaust leak,or dpf plugged with ash.

the very worst thing you can do on these engine is too much idle time it will plug them faster than anything else.
Tech thought it might have been caused by leaking oil line in the turbo allowing some blow by or a leaking injector due to the rate the issue occurred. He felt it was an overload issue not a typical sooting issue. The coach only has 16K. I feel it was used for mostly tailgating since the gen has 500 hours on it. Miles are to low to really match up with that many hours. Unless they boon docked at their neighborhood park. We should find out tomorrow, the will remove the exhaust system tomorrow and get a look.

Great reply though, thank you for your ihelp. I appreciate it.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #22

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I remember in high school having to dissect a worm in biology. Took three days and never made sense. All we did was ruin a good piece of fish bait. What difference does it really matter how this thing works. Who's gonna crawl up under there and try to fix it??
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:55 PM   #23

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
[QUOTE=The Gritz Carlton;138716]The faster they plug the sooner the auto regeneration kicks in. It's totally automated. Just keep fresh DEF in the system and drive on.

They are automated as you say based on a differential pressure between inlet and outlet of the dpf system, best preventive maintance is not let the engine idle for long periods.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:58 PM   #24

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEWright View Post
Tech thought it might have been caused by leaking oil line in the turbo allowing some blow by or a leaking injector due to the rate the issue occurred. He felt it was an overload issue not a typical sooting issue. The coach only has 16K. I feel it was used for mostly tailgating since the gen has 500 hours on it. Miles are to low to really match up with that many hours. Unless they boon docked at their neighborhood park. We should find out tomorrow, the will remove the exhaust system tomorrow and get a look.

Great reply though, thank you for your ihelp. I appreciate it.
Go fiqure the only thing a regen wont clean itself of is oil.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:23 PM   #25

Brand: DRV
THOR #11383
The Freightliner portion of your 2015 RV may have been manufactured earlier 2014.

Here my story, My 2015 FL Sport Classis was manufactured Feb 2014. I had a couple problems happened in this order.

I got a emissions Light malfunction light error. I was about 200 miles from
San Antonio so I got there later in the afternoon to late to trouble shoot. (I won't get into the lack of Customer Service). The next day they found the EGR cooler leaking and partially plugged but they did have one in stock.

About 800 miles later Emission Malfunction again. I was north of Austin and on a Sunday. Just by chance was talking to fellow RV'er parked next to me that had a 2014 Dodge Pickup who had a Catalyst problem which was a result of Daimler buying a batch of Catalyst was wasn't good, that catalyst was mated to Cummins engines. Tne next morning I was Temple TX Freightliner to discover I had the bad Catalyst and restrictions. Also it was found that Freightliner knew the Cummins Engine S/N but Cummins did not know that Freightliner had installed the engine. Any way 4 days later I was on the road with all emissions problems paid by warranty.

Than about 93 days later I learned to really appreciate SA Freightliner. The air conditioner failed due remounting the EGR cooler plumbing. The fix was at my good Freightliner service shop at Dubuque Iowa for $1000.

Clay
Old 08-26-2018, 01:55 AM   #26

Model: Venetian M37
THOR #10920
Blue DEF has a date code on each box. Has to be decoded, but you can find how to on the web.... shows plant of origin and date of manufacture. As to shelf life there is a published table of shelf life at various temperatures. Also on the web. Storage life is shorter as temperatures increase. Bulk DEF is somewhat of a crap shoot but it stored underground with normally lower temperatures. Always concerned when storing my MH

Tags
dpf, regen