Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2014, 12:13 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31F
State: New Jersey
THOR #798
draining fresh water tank and lines?

My 2008 four winds Chateau was winterized and now i want to drain the anti freeze and sanitize before my first trip.Im a newbie.How do i find the fresh water tank and low point drains thanks.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
On our Four Winds, there is a fresh water tank drain spigot on the outside of the coach. A cheap looking thing of the type that you might find on a ice cooler. You can drain the antifreeze from the fresh water tank from that spigot.

Then we just return the bypass valves on the water heater to normal, put the heater's drain plug back in, fill the fresh water tank and open all of the faucets and run water until the water is clear - and then double the run time.

Of course, depending on where you live and if you can dump clean water on the ground from the grey tank will determine how much water you run through it. No need to run the toilet, etc. or dump the black tank until you start using it.

May or may not be the best way, but it is how we used to do it with our boat and now with our RV.

There are sanitizing products on the market as well as some people use bleach or chlorine. But we have found (from our boating experience) that if you use the fresh water tank often enough, you won't usually have much problem with stale water.

Even then, we typically use fresh water for washing dishes, bathing, etc. but not drinking. We always take bottled gallon jugs of water for coffee, making ice cubes, and so on.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Hopefully nobody pumps anti freeze into their fresh water tank.
It isn't necessary. That is what the by pass valves are for--to do the system without pumping anti freeze into either the fresh water tank, or the water heater.
Maybe this link will be of benefit.
How to Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System
Old 06-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I assumed we were talking about the non-toxic pink RV antifreeze, not the green stuff that goes into the engine.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 31F
State: New Jersey
THOR #798
YES The Pink stuff

Not the green stuff
Old 06-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
I also was assuming it was the RV anti freeze, but I still don't want that stuff in my water heater.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
Putting pink stuff in the fresh water tank or hot water tank is a waste of antifreeze. Just drain both of those for the winter, hit the bypass and pump the stuff through your lines.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #1387
Hello, I finally located the fresh water tank under the main bedroom bed. However, I am having trouble locating the drain valve for the tank. Any suggestions
Old 12-26-2014, 03:17 AM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
The low point drain tubing with shut off valve should be in that compartment near the tank. Tubing goes down through the chassis to drain outside. Just open a faucet somewhere to allow air into line after opening the valve.