Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Class A to Class C?

Our first rv (besides the popup) was a class c. We kept it for several years then moved to our current Thor Axis. Now we are strongly considering going back to a class c. Interested to hear comments, positive and negative, from those who have done this. Thanks all.

2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Interesting: Is there something you don't like about the Axis making you consider this change?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Going back 10 years:

28 foot class c. Travelled well and we enjoyed it for a few years. After a two week trip we decided we wanted something larger for long trips so we upgraded to the Challenger 37ND in February 2015.

The challenger served us well for a number of years but since the DW retired a few years ago and I am retiring in about 6 or 7 months we decided we wanted something that we could put some miles on and could be driven without ending the day tired so now we are in the Accolade 37TS Super C.

The biggest issue to date in a reduction in storage space. We lost some cubic feet of storage space going to the Super C as well as giving up our outdoor kitchen. We also lost the electric fireplace which was nice on cool mornings, however, we are considering removing a couch and putting a fireplace in that location.

The pros to the change are better drivability and handling, more comfortable ride (rear air suspension) air brakes and exhaust brake. We now have a combo washer dryer (contributed to decreased storage space) and a couch and theater seating (couch may go for fireplace). We also have 12k of towing capacity if we want to take a trailer loaded with toys which we couldn't do with the other rigs.

Did we downsize, no, but we now have the added safety of the Class C cab versus flat front Class A, and easier to maintain chassis (any Freightliner dealer). We also have increased power and performance as well as a more comfortable ride.

May not be what you expected but we did go from C to A to C (Super).
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:20 PM   #4

THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Interesting: Is there something you don't like about the Axis making you consider this change?
We do not want slides. The 24.1 doesn't work for us. The longer couch is for us.
Much easier chassis/engine maintenance. Removing the front wheel to replace the Axis battery is ridiculous and expensive. I know some have done it from inside but still not easily accessible and I don't want to do it. I paid extra at local rv shop to install the new one recently. A lot extra.

Our first class c was a good experience except for the slide. We almost pulled the trigger on a Thor Freedom Elite 28Z a couple of years before we got the Axis. The 28Z now has a slide. My biggest concern is whether or not the loss of a panoramic window of the A and the overhang on a C will be a concern.
Also, 30 feet is our max length wanted, no matter if class A or C. There are few non slide units out there with any room. Our first C was a Gulf Stream and they make a 30 foot non slide unit now. We;ve looked at non slide class A units but nothing that really made us want one.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Old 03-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
We do not want slides. The 24.1 doesn't work for us. The longer couch is for us.
Much easier chassis/engine maintenance. Removing the front wheel to replace the Axis battery is ridiculous and expensive. I know some have done it from inside but still not easily accessible and I don't want to do it. I paid extra at local rv shop to install the new one recently. A lot extra.

Our first class c was a good experience except for the slide. We almost pulled the trigger on a Thor Freedom Elite 28Z a couple of years before we got the Axis. The 28Z now has a slide. My biggest concern is whether or not the loss of a panoramic window of the A and the overhang on a C will be a concern.
Also, 30 feet is our max length wanted, no matter if class A or C. There are few non slide units out there with any room. Our first C was a Gulf Stream and they make a 30 foot non slide unit now. We;ve looked at non slide class A units but nothing that really made us want one.
Yeah I can see that...

Hmm no slides eh, hey Chance someone after your own heart LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:18 PM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Change

I can speak personally being a former Axis owner. It was our first RV and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I has dead set when we went to buy that it would be a Class C on a MB chassis. We drove both. Now owners of the MB, don't get offended but I did not like the overhead cab, the small windshield and the bad wind buffering sound (Winny View). Drove the Axis and the difference in visibility was stunningly improved along with the fact that the front seats are more easily turned around so you can use part of the cab area for real living. Oh yes, we got the 24.1 which was the same floor plan as the Winny. Oh yes, we probably spent about $40k less.

The other thing I personally don't like about the Class Cs out there including the ones on the stripped E450/E350 is the lack of leg room in front, especially in front of the passenger seat.

We ended up enjoying our Axis for about 3 years until we traded it in on a 32' Class A on the F-53 22k chassis. Again, the large front windshield making the view while driving and camping quite pleasing along with enough of the additional living room that we love the RV life even more.

Now someone mentioned the Super Cs out there. Yes, if I could twist my wallet to spend almost $400k for one in that category of quality, I would change my mind to a Class C. Hope that helps. I would suggest driving some of the Class As out there before you make up your mind. Another thing you brought up about service with the Axis. Yes, it is a PITA but you will find that some of the newer Class As out there aren't. On ours, the chassis battery is easily accessed in the front hood area and the two chassis batteries are directly in front of it. Yes, they have all been changed out to AGMs so I don't have to deal with the usual flooded cell corrosion but that's a quirk of mine.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:52 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
We’ve moved from a Class A ( Axis 24.1) which we owned for 6 Years (Vegas -2 and Axis - 4) and have moved back down to a Class B Winnebago Travato.,We started with a Pleasureway Class B in 2006, moved to a 22’ Class C and then finally to the Vegas/Axis. We took our Vegas/Axis to Alaska for 3-4 months twice and out west and to Canada on multiple month trips many times and the space was great. However we don’t use our MH for multi month trips anymore so we wanted to downsize. We looked at all the Class C’s and B+ out there and could not see much advantage over our Axis. When the Sequence came out, it made us think about a Class B again. The relatively large rear bath (for a Class B) and open floor plan of the Sequence 20L gave us the feeling of the living area in the Axis. We bought the Vegas because if the separate bedroom and we will miss that. But the living area is just as functional for us as the Axis and my wife never cooked anyway so the kitchen is no big deal. We ended up buying a Winnebago Travato 59K with the same floor plan as the Sequence 20L and so far we love it. The ride is better, than the Axis, it’s much quieter and both A/C’s work better. The gas mileage is 50% better (which doesn’t hurt) and it is easier to drive and park. If we were still going on multi month trips, the Travato might not meet our needs. But for traveling 2000 miles twice a year in three weeks or so each way, I think it is going to be perfect. Hopefully we will get to see this spring.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #8

THOR #3483
Change

One thing I forgot to add. If you get an up to date Class C or A, I doubt you can find one without slides.

One more scenario....a close relative sold their new Tiffin Open Road 32SA and went to a 28 foot Airstream trailer. No sliders! Options.

Or you could get a quality Super C

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...061-5010100666
Old 03-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yeah I can see that...

Hmm no slides eh, hey Chance someone after your own heart LOL.

Well, my opinion on slides remains the same whether it’s an A or C.

At least I’m consistent in preferring the KISS approach for motorhomes as with most other things.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:42 AM   #10

THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Well, my opinion on slides remains the same whether it’s an A or C.

At least I’m consistent in preferring the KISS approach for motorhomes as with most other things.
Amen!
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Old 03-25-2020, 03:00 AM   #11

THOR #4466
[QUOTE=axis earl;228312]One thing I forgot to add. If you get an up to date Class C or A, I doubt you can find one without slides.

A or C without slides are scarce but there are still a few being made. Manufacturers might be getting a clue about abandoning a certain segment of the market. I think in a couple of years you will see more non slide MH being offered.

One more scenario....a close relative sold their new Tiffin Open Road 32SA and went to a 28 foot Airstream trailer. No sliders! Options.

We looked at a Airstream Silver Cloud. Have to haul generator, gas, etc. and if I have to pee it's a simple matter of pulling to the side of the road in the MH. Arrive in bad weather? Park it and put on the kettle.

They all have slides.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Old 03-25-2020, 03:12 AM   #12

THOR #3483
[QUOTE=Wonderdog;228373]
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
One thing I forgot to add. If you get an up to date Class C or A, I doubt you can find one without slides.

A or C without slides are scarce but there are still a few being made. Manufacturers might be getting a clue about abandoning a certain segment of the market. I think in a couple of years you will see more non slide MH being offered.

We looked at a Airstream Silver Cloud. Have to haul generator, gas, etc. and if I have to pee it's a simple matter of pulling to the side of the road in the MH. Arrive in bad weather? Park it and put on the kettle.

They all have slides.
Which Class As and Cs are being made without sliders? And I am not a trailer fan either.... I was just pointing out something without sliders which now, very few larger trailers can say.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:21 PM   #13

THOR #2121
[QUOTE=axis earl;228374]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
Which Class As and Cs are being made without sliders? And I am not a trailer fan either.... I was just pointing out something without sliders which now, very few larger trailers can say.
In what size and price range?

Thor apparently still makes the 28A Class C even though it’s not on web site. It’s similar to largest Cruise America rental. It’s very functional in my opinion, but for us it’s too large, and also the rear overhang too long.

There are plenty of shorter Class Cs from many manufacturers. Many have similar floorplans and are in similar price range.

Coachmen makes an A and a C floorplan similar to the Thor 28A.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3914D52F-38F6-48EE-8FEE-7DDFC0C07226.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	23050   Click image for larger version

Name:	548A55BB-DCF2-43D3-A1F8-F41EB91EF33F.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	23051  

Name:	F5D106A8-4079-4D3B-818A-34D12BC697D3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	23052   Click image for larger version

Name:	EBD72945-B99E-4B65-A3C4-6BA33F4F91F5.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	23053  

Old 03-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #14

THOR #2121
In B+ segment, there are various choices also.

In the higher price range, Coach House builds on E-Series chassis and now has a new Transit-based floorplan as well. The Transit is built on longer wheelbase chassis but is a bit longer.

Anyway, there are some choices depending on size and price point.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3F241EC7-F261-47C9-A3A9-1D47BEFF90FC.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	23054   Click image for larger version

Name:	AE74EE4E-93F0-4452-8671-226E13C47460.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	23055  

Old 03-25-2020, 09:07 PM   #15

THOR #4466
Thank you Chance for the floor plans. We looked at the Coachmen XPS but it fell short of what we have in our Axis. I was not aware of the 28A that Thor builds. It's under consideration with the Jayco Redhawk 27N.
We were going to look at a Gulf Stream Conquistador 6280LE at a dealer only 40 miles away but what they had was not a 6280. Then I received an email that they are no longer a Conquistador dealer. Back to the drawing board.
Lovely wife, mother of my children, keeper of the peace and counter of the coin will not consider a Class B or B+. Their efficient use of space is not for her. Looks as if our 30 foot limit is going to be met with a class c at this point.
Logic says to have the couch and captain chairs in the Axis redone and live with the slide for a while. He with the most patience wins.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Old 03-26-2020, 12:59 AM   #16

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
The way we travel and our travel companions can change over time, like Oneilkeys pointed out. Are you wanting out of the 25.2 just because of the slide? Has the slide been a major problem? I am guessing there is more to your decision than just that.

We had enjoyed our 33' Class A but found it bigger than we needed. Looked hard at a Travato, but it cramped us too much and we weren't crazy about a wet bath.

I had trouble with the slides and the steps on our Class A, and thought I didn't want either again. Still, it made sense that the Vegas slides were lighter with better mechanics than our old unit.

We have had zero problems with the slide in our Vegas in 5 years and over 30, 000 miles. There have been few complaints about slides on the forum in that time, too. Maybe a coach with a murphy bed might get you away from a slide, but that's not our cup of tea either.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:33 AM   #17

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We had a Gulfstream BT Cruiser a true B+ and were very happy with it for 10 years. But it was getting to be time for an upgrade.
I like you have been wary of slides after all the years of listening to peeps horror stories on slide issues.
So we looked at C's and the Coachman Leprechaun 270QB to be precise as it had no slides. It's a shade under 30'. It is a lower priced unit with plastic sinks and a little cheaper cupboards but seemed well enough made. It would have fit the bill but after driving the B+ which basically felt like driving a Chevy express passenger van I couldn't get over the claustrophobic feeling I got driving with the bunk overhang. As much as we thought the rig would work for us the bunk over the windshield did me in. I probably would have gotten used to the feeling of driving in a tunnel but DW said if I wasn't comfortable get what I felt good about.
We ended up with an ACE 27.2 class A. I'm finally letting it sink in the the only time people post about slides is when they have a problem. Nobody spends time talking about the 1000's of times the slide operated without an issue. For the record I am quite pleased with the coach and that big wide open windshield. Good luck with your search! Mark
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:21 AM   #18

THOR #4466
The slide in our Axis 25.2 had problems the day we went to pick it up as our first brand new rv. One of the motors burned up and the folks at CW kept trying to close it going back and forth. It ended up crooked and jammed. Not a good start. Several hours later it was repaired and working well. The Class C we had before the Axis had one slide and it decided not to close while we were in the Smokeys. Got it closed manually and off to repair shop on our return. $$$ Preventive maintenance is done on the Axis slide but I do not trust it. It has leaked so now besides expecting it to fail electrically, we check often to see if there are any water leaks. I've been in sleeping bags that got wet when sleeping in a tent but it is truly discouraging when you wake up in your MH with water soaking the foot end of the bed. Like I said, I just do not trust slides. Yes, that is the only thing about the Axis that I do not wish to deal with and the only reason I want out of it.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Old 03-26-2020, 02:59 PM   #19

THOR #2121
I think it’s normal to track and report failures more than successes when consequences of possible failures warrant it. As a society we do it all the time so shouldn’t be unexpected.

Using the present Corona Virus as an example, no one is reporting daily that 60 million Italians haven’t died. Nearly 100% of people there are OK, but that in itself doesn’t diminish that the comparatively few affected aren’t a serious problem. We also track car accidents, injuries, and deaths, not how many people made it home OK. Reporting on slides is no different in my opinion. Granted, it doesn’t mean we should stop driving or vacationing in Italy, but we shouldn’t ignore the risk either.

I believe it comes down to our personal risk-reward tolerance. To some buyers the extra space a slide provides has more value than to others. Likewise, the ability to cope with a slide failure is also very different between buyers.

That balance between extra space and “possibly” having to deal with the costs and hassles that “may” come with a slide is a personal decision.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #20

THOR #2121
P.S. — It’s interesting that many people assume that fear of failures is the only reason a person may not want to own a motorhome or trailer with one or more slides. For me it is not. That’s very low on my list.

I don’t like the aesthetics inside or outside, don’t like that they leak (most leak, it’s just a matter of how much and under what conditions), they smell musty after a few years, they add cost, add weight, add noise, often reduce outside storage, require maintenance, require extra awning, reduce safety, reduce motorhome stiffness and integrity, and yes, occasionally also stop working at the worst possible time.

If I weigh all the inherent negatives of slides TO ME versus a little extra room, or a motorhome a couple of feet longer, it’s an easy comparison. If you love slides, it’s easy to dismiss any and all disadvantages as trivial. As with most things, it comes down to personal perspectives.