Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2020, 08:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Virginia
THOR #15498
Driver side outside electrical outlet

I've search the forum, everything says not found. So here it goes; why is there no electrical outlet on the driver side outside, or in basement cabinet? Yes when hooked up to power at a site you have an outlet at the pole, however when boondocking or on side of the road, been a couple of times, there is no place to plug in an accessory, blower, dry vac, air compressor, etc.. Now on the side of a road yeah I can understand not to be there, but when in a parking lot or boondocking it would come in handy on occasions. Yes I can run an extension cord around the rig, but still convenience would be nice to have.

Just wondering why it is not done? I have never seen one that was OEM on a rig, have you?

Old 03-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Ohio
THOR #13951
Driver side outlet

Our 2017 Thor Fourwinds 31W has a duplex outlet on the drivers side just outside the side coach door. We have used it for our outdoors cooking station. However since it draws from my overall coach power we typically run an extension cord from the pedestal to that table and keep our full 30amps available. Have never tried to see if will work when we are on battery power. My gut tells me no....but....good time to check it out.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:54 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
I'd be very surprise if you didn't have one. It won't be on the side but at least one bay will have one. look up on the ceiling. or around the corner near the door. My 5er had one in the storage that the vacuum was plugged into.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:58 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf8U View Post
I've search the forum, everything says not found. So here it goes; why is there no electrical outlet on the driver side outside, or in basement cabinet? Yes when hooked up to power at a site you have an outlet at the pole, however when boondocking or on side of the road, been a couple of times, there is no place to plug in an accessory, blower, dry vac, air compressor, etc.. Now on the side of a road yeah I can understand not to be there, but when in a parking lot or boondocking it would come in handy on occasions. Yes I can run an extension cord around the rig, but still convenience would be nice to have.

Just wondering why it is not done? I have never seen one that was OEM on a rig, have you?
I think the only real answer will have to come from Mfg and it is likely the front line people you may ask will not know? I would think it to be a safety issue? On my coach we don't even have a duplex on external wall of passenger side. It is in bay compartment on passenger side. I did not like at first, but because it has opening through the floor, I now like being able to plug something up and then locking the bay door. Also, I know you mentioned extension cord, but that same bay on my rig goes to the other side so if I just insisted to have power on the other side; I could just get a power strip that plugs in on passenger side and run in the lower compartments to other side so I have outlets on both sides. This to avoid your concern with running extension cord around the rig.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
not all have a 'driver side' 120v outlet, or even one in a storage bay... my doesn't...

but, in order to provide an 'outlet' in the area where I need it, I can snake an extension cord thru the main 'pass-thru' bay from the passenger side storage bay GFCI outlet, or I've even run a more 'permanent' extension cord thru the deck outlets on the both side, zip tying it to and under the chassis across the coach - probably not the 'best' option, but certainly one that works.

now, the answer to the question of 'why' is beyond me, as yes, it would be quite easy for one to be added, at least in the main bay, probably on the wall - but, I also think I know why they don't - they really don't have a good way to 'install' the box for the outlet since the 'walls' in these storage bays are not 'walls', but are simply plywood boxes. The one in my passenger side storage bay is easier for them since it's within a cavity that the fridge sits on, where running 120v wiring is much easier.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Tuscany coaches all have one and many have two outlets on the drivers side

Almost every central vac is on the drivers side as is the outlet
Old 04-04-2020, 08:16 PM   #7

THOR #15498
Thank you everyone, I'll look tomorrow if it is dry.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:36 PM   #8

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
chances are you will find one but it will not work unless you are on shore power or generator.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:04 AM   #9

THOR #10036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf8U View Post

Very good question! We are on our fifth one now and no driver side yet. 75 to 20.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:10 PM   #10

THOR #15498
I checked every basement compartment, no driver side outlet. I do like the idea of leaving an extension cord in the pass through, just plug into each side ready to go.

Thank you everyone for helping out!

Tags
driver side electric., outside electric