Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #1

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Drivers sliding window vibrates

My MH is at my local CW for some warranty & non warranty work, most
all is done except still waiting for Thor to say what if anything they will
do about the drivers sliding window that (even closed & latched) vibrates
while driving down the road.

Anybody else have this problem and if so what was done to fix it?

I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Ohhh Yeahhhhh!!! I hear your pain.

I drove my shiny new Hurricane 34E from Florida, (where I picked it up), back home to California when I first purchased it.

I was very pleased that it was a relatively smooth and quite, (for a gasser), drive across the county on the I10, (for the most part). EXCEPT for the rattling sliding glass window!!

When I reached New Orleans I finally reached the tipping point that my nerves could handle with that rattling, (especially with the 80mph speed limits). I finally called the Thor 24/7 concierge service!!

Captain Obvious was on duty at the Thor concierge line at that moment. He first asked why am I driving over 60mph, (as that is about the speed that any rattling normally occurs, that he was aware of). I explained to him that if I didn't keep up with traffic I would be run over by huge fully loaded semi-tractors going even faster than me. He understandingly instructed me to find the two sliding plastic guides at the rear edge where the glass closed onto the frame. Those two plastic guides can be slid up and down in their channel in the frame to make contact with the glass to prevent it from rattling.

While stopped, I located the two plastic guides and made sure that they slid up and down in their frame channel. They were originally kinda stuck in place. They will return to a "stuck" position if you don't constantly mess with them.

Then, when hitting a bumpy portion of road and hearing the dreaded rattle I tried adjusting one guide, and then shut the glass. Ahhhh! It worked.

So, basically, with some incredibly dangerous highway one handed motorhome driving and simultaneous one handed window guide adjustment experimentation, I eventually found quiet bliss for the rest of my journey across these fine United States of America!
Old 08-05-2015, 01:24 AM   #3

State: Alabama
THOR #2262
What kind of mileage do you get at driving over 75 mph? I know they will do that speed easily and even then the engine is just playing! The coach itself does not like that speed and the DW does not either!! If you drive 60 to 63 the engine is at its sweet point in my estimation and could go forever at that speed. Fuel mileage best at that speed. I drove one area constantly exceeding 73 mph until I needed gas again and found my mileage below 6.5 mpg! Higher speeds above that would do even worse. I try and think vacation and enjoying the road. Let the 18 wheelers go as they are working and have to drive as fast as possible to cover the miles. We are just enjoying the ride! I know it is a nuisance with the 18 wheelers constantly going by but you get used to it. Too bad the railroads can't haul all the freight again. Don't grumble at me for saying that but a constant train of 18 wheelers is awfull and the poor roads show the wear and states can't keep up the surface fast enough for us to have smooth roads now. The roads are awfull in the north east. Even the toll roads are rough! They at least used to be smooth! Not any more and that despite tolls being obscene for a little coach like the Vegas!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbrace View Post
What kind of mileage do you get at driving over 75 mph?....
Heh, that there is a funny question.

When I was a kid, my dad, (who owned a Shell gas station), always said that, "if those guys can afford to drive a motorhome, they can afford the price of gasoline". He also said the same thing about Cadillac, Lincoln, Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, Porsche, Maserati, and even Volvo owners.

I learned as an adult that the price of fuel is relative to what you are trying to accomplish with it.

The V10 34E gets about 5 to 6 mpg when driven over 75mph. But it's all good, relatively speaking, (I'm driving a fully furnished apartment down the road)!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Now that I have almost 5K on the MH my mileage has gone up to 7 mpg towing
from 6.5 mpg when we started out new. My toad weights 4000 lbs.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote