Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2019, 07:08 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #15932
Lt. Keefer, I know these two suggestions will sound a little nutty at first.. but...

Try moving your driver's seat forward closer to the steering wheel than you're used to. (Notice Nascar drivers - how close the wheel is to their chest.)

Secondly, look ahead down the road farther toward the horizon than you usually do.

Try to ignore the mirrors and gauges to some greater extent than you normally would.

I read about doing this in a different forum and gave it a try.

It certainly helps me keep her going more straight down the road.

More than anything these two things seem to cut down on the constant over-correcting.

In pilot speak the concept is known as Pilot-Induced Oscillation.

Give it a try. It'll cost even less than the CHF!

Old 07-27-2019, 09:02 PM   #22

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
The Windsport 27K is our 5th RV and forth motor home. We started with a 24 foot class C and have had as large as a 38 foot diesel pusher. They all are affected by the wind. I suspect that pulling a 12 foot enclosed trailer with dual axels tempers the effects of the wind to some extent on the RV. But as Bob said, "slow down..." I think people get into trouble when they attempt to drive their RVs the same way that they drive their autos. I learned that it wasn't a good idea back in 1994.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:11 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiejoe View Post
Here is what did with my Class C 31W, I added Helwig sway bars front and rear, Bilstein shocks and a Safety Plus Steering control and decided ah what the heck I added Sumo Springs front and rear. I may add a trac bar but in wind or what ever it’s basically nailed to the road and is actually a pleasure to drive now.

Good luck
I never had a problem driving my last coach, a 31 foot class c, it was stable right off the assembly line. Driving this class a has been a chore at time. On the first trip, it was almost undriveable. I was seriously thinking on taking it back to the dealer and telling them to park it in their a#*. Weighing it and setting the tires to proper pressure helped. The CHF improved it a bunch. The front end alignment and replacement of steering box did the most good. The saf-t-plus made it drivable with one hand and the front sumos have taken out the small dips in the roads that used to irritate me. Currently my only complaint is windy day driving,
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:07 AM   #24

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbender View Post
Lt. Keefer, I know these two suggestions will sound a little nutty at first.. but...
Try moving your driver's seat forward closer to the steering wheel than you're used to. (Notice Nascar drivers - how close the wheel is to their chest.)
Secondly, look ahead down the road farther toward the horizon than you usually do. Try to ignore the mirrors and gauges to some greater extent than you normally would...

These are great suggestions. I drove around 900 windy miles in the last three days with strong crosswinds. I've done Helwigs front and rear, Sumos front and Bilsteins all around on my Vegas. Still, you have to really pay attention so that a gust doesn't throw you off the road.
It blew so hard that the mud flap melted on the tailpipe. Hadn't expected that!
Old 07-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #25

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
You are lucky that it drives ok up to 25 mph wind. I don’t know why these motorhome manufacturers don’t modify their chassis to handle better and leave it up to owners to spend big bucks on modifications to make them handle better.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #26

State: Saskatchewan
THOR #9042
Just remember you're driving something with the aerodynamic of a barn door, slowing down is the best advice as many have said or find something interesting and pull over and enjoy the trip
Old 07-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #27

THOR #2817
When I first began fighting the wind, I found that I was over correcting, getting tense, working the steering wheel too much. Then I stopped trying to maintain an arrow straight heading. Eventually one's kinesthetic powers will help, and you won't realize that you are making corrections for wind gusts. Try to relax and go with the flow...sort of.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yup! A lighter grip on the wheel, and a couple of deep breaths.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #29

Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #15932
Yup, I was frankly shocked at how much less stressful driving was (both physically and emotionally) when all I did was look down the road farther and ignore the gauges and mirrors for a bit.

And yes, I noticed my knuckles were not white anymore!!
Old 07-31-2019, 03:39 PM   #30

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
the worst thing about driving in a cross wind for me is at around 40 mph wind we get a whistling noise from wind moving through the coach. checked and rechecked for any windows that are loose or the seals don't appear to contact but no luck

Otherwise the Tuscany handles fine and all that suffers is the fuel mileage
Old 07-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #31

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
the worst thing about driving in a cross wind for me is at around 40 mph wind we get a whistling noise from wind moving through the coach. checked and rechecked for any windows that are loose or the seals don't appear to contact but no luck

Otherwise the Tuscany handles fine and all that suffers is the fuel mileage
We have found that if we release the catches for the two front side, sliding windows, the wind noise lessens.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:05 PM   #32

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
We have found that if we release the catches for the two front side, sliding windows, the wind noise lessens.
Thanks
Will give it a try next time across Kansas
Old 07-31-2019, 06:17 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Kansas?
That reminds me of a joke...

What's the best way to cross the State of Kansas?

Asleep in the back of someone else's van!
Old 08-01-2019, 06:39 PM   #34

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Kansas?
That reminds me of a joke...

What's the best way to cross the State of Kansas?

Asleep in the back of someone else's van!
One more thought on this, since it is 400 miles or more depending on route. If you don't like expansive space and views of the horizon maybe sleeping is best but otherwise if you are going to make the trip, look for the historical or scenic side trips and take an extra day and find out what really is out in the heartland
Old 10-26-2019, 09:30 PM   #35

State: Oregon
THOR #17166
The best part of having an RV. is that you can pull off and stop if it gets to be too bad.
In Nebraska my hubby used it as a good excuse to park in the Cabelas parking lot.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Did he (By any chance); go inside to shop... "just to pass the time until the winds stopped"?
Old 10-27-2019, 02:57 AM   #37

State: Oregon
THOR #17166
He did, but believe it or not, he back empty handed. There is a first for everything.
If you have not been to that store, they have the life size statues of all the presidents. Pretty cool.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #38

Model: Windsport 35C
THOR #8449
Here's what we did after scary drive home from Palo Duro Canyon: 1)verify correct tire pressures 2)CHF 3) Install Roadmaster steering stabilizer 4) alignment 5) Install Super Steer rear Track Bar. Adding the track bar is what has made the biggest improvement in how my coach handles in high wind and/or passing big rigs. Also learning to "look further down the road" has eliminated "sawing at the wheel". Sometimes you just have to slow down.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #39

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp1957 View Post
Here's what we did after scary drive home from Palo Duro Canyon: 1)verify correct tire pressures 2)CHF 3) Install Roadmaster steering stabilizer 4) alignment 5) Install Super Steer rear Track Bar. Adding the track bar is what has made the biggest improvement in how my coach handles in high wind and/or passing big rigs. Also learning to "look further down the road" has eliminated "sawing at the wheel". Sometimes you just have to slow down.

I did all of what you did and sumo up front.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:19 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina@DuraFlap View Post
He did, but believe it or not, he back empty handed. There is a first for everything.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1572290363
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Collage 2015-10-09 16_15_38.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	21139