Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
E350 wheel bearing

Hi all, hope you're out and about and enjoying the summer as we are. At the moment we're about 500 miles into a 2000 mile trip in France in our 15' Vegas 25.2, first stop, 6 nights near St Jean sea Monts. I've notice a noise coming from my drivers side front wheel and I think the bearing may be getting worn, it's only just done 23k miles, so hardly a high mileage. We're heading further south to Bordeaux then 10 days in Biscarrosse before heading back up for the ferry back to Ireland. The question is, do I lose sleep over the bearing just getting louder forget it and get it replace when we're home in 3 weeks ? I did mention a slight noise at speed to my mech, who gave her a full service last week, he said not to worry there's 1000's of miles left in it. Bear in mind in France we're probably the only Ford E350 Thor Vegas in the country and a bearing isn't going to be off the shelf....

Old 08-18-2019, 03:49 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Could it be brake-related noise? The mileage seems low for a wheel bearing, although premature failures can occur.

Anyway, bearings are not specific to Axis/Vegas, or even the Ford E-350/450, so you may be surprised that it’s not that hard to find. Plus with overnight services, that wouldn’t concern me most.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:36 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
I would not ignore it. At least have it inspected, greased and reinstalled if it's ok. I had a new RV with a squeal that the dealer "said" they checked and after about a month the squeal stopped, but 9 months later, the whole wheel almost came off because the outer bearing was completely destroyed!
Old 08-21-2019, 06:25 AM   #4

THOR #9936
Hi and thanks, spoke to mech who assured me it's ok, no grease leaking out and plenty of mileage in it.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:46 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
So what was the problem then? Or is the bearing still making noise and your mechanic said not to worry about it?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I would Jack it up and see if you have a lot of play

Look carefully behind the rotor and wheel for any signs of metal or grease
Old 08-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #7

THOR #9936
No, haven't changed it as we're in France and anything America is hard to deal with here, back in the U.K. it's not so bad to get spares. We haven't moved yet, been parked for the week, we'll be moving further south tomorrow so we'll see, my mech assures me it's fine and he'll change it when we're back in N.Ireland. it's perfectly dry, no grease or oil visible around the axle, or anywhere. Ah, the joys of owning an American motorhome... �� Wouldn't have it any other way...��