Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2019, 08:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: North Carolina
THOR #16745
Electronic Stabilizers on a 2019 27.7 Vegas

Hello all, this is our first post. We are considering getting a 2019 27.7 Vegas. We have been told different things from different dealers so I thought I would ask those who actually own one. Exactly how do you operate the electronic stabilizers? We have been told:
it is a push of a button to level
You have to use a hand crank because they are scissor type Jack's
That it doesn't have a stabilizer/leveling system at all
That you push a button to stabilize it but it doesn't necessarily level it

What exactly do you have to do to use it and how good is it?

Old 09-16-2019, 10:17 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWeems View Post
Hello all, this is our first post. We are considering getting a 2019 27.7 Vegas. We have been told different things from different dealers so I thought I would ask those who actually own one. Exactly how do you operate the electronic stabilizers? We have been told:
it is a push of a button to level
You have to use a hand crank because they are scissor type Jack's
That it doesn't have a stabilizer/leveling system at all
That you push a button to stabilize it but it doesn't necessarily level it

What exactly do you have to do to use it and how good is it?
We have a 2019 24.1, so I am hoping it's close enough for this.

First, stabilizers are not levelers. They simply keep the coach steady while you are parked.

Second, they are located in the very rear of the vehicle, one on each side. They are operated on your Lippert control panel, which is right at the door on my unit. They can also be operated by the OneControl app, which is a really nice feature if your control panel takes a dive.

On the 24.1, the stabilizing jacks are an option. We have it on ours, even though we really didn't want/need it. It just happened to be on the unit that we were purchasing. Haven't used it, as we have the BigFoot leveling system added.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:12 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Can't speak to the levelers. We had our dealer install HWH leveling jacks before we took delivery. It wasn't cheap, but it has been great many times. We really like the stability feature of the leveling jacks. Should you decide to add that on, don't expect to get much back when you trade.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
My 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS came with stabilizers which are electric with a push of a button on the control panel. They ONLY help keep it stabilized while parked. I had The Equalizer Hydraulic Leveling System installed at a family owned/operated rv shop. They were not cheap but work great. It keeps the mh level while parked at a push of a button or your can operate it from your smart phone. As an added bonus the leveling system can lift the entire mh off of the ground in the event you need to change a tire. I would only do that with additional support from a jack or jack stands for safety. I never use the electric stabilizer now that I have the hydraulic leveling system.

Paul
Retired LEO
Old 09-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Welcome to the Forum and Good Luck on picking new rig!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Welcome!

I dont have "stabilizers" on mine (I also installed the Big Foot Levelers a year later).

But to answer your questions: You just push a button (no hand crank) to deploy and retract (I think it has an alarm on it - that way if you try start the RV to move .... it will sound to remind you to retact so you dont damage them).

Im sure they help (better than nothing IMO) but dont let them decide your purchase.

We really like our Axis and are glad we purchased it two years ago. Leveling can be done with the blocks and if you stay in nice campground most are paved and fairly level.

But if you really need Levelers you will need to add them later like I did.

The Big Foot Levelers can be added for as little as $2500 $2700 installed (basic unit). Others can cost $4 to $6K but have more features.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:21 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: North Carolina
THOR #16745
Smile Thanks

Thanks everyone, all your responses did help. We are really looking forward to owning and traveling in a new RV. We have decided we definitely want the Vegas 27.7. Would like to get it within the next couple of months. We have been traveling "home" a lot lately to DC for my mom, Stomach Cancer again. This is her 3rd battle with cancer but she is a trooper. I told her she needs to hurry and get better so when we get our rig she can ride with us. She is excited about that!!
Old 10-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #8

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Warm thoughts and prayers to your mom and family.
GVP

Tags
stabilizing a vegas, vegas 27.7