Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Delaware
THOR #803
Ems

Does anyone use an electrical monitoring system for surge protection. A fellow camper told me about hers. We have a new Thor Challenger, 50 amp. The campground where we're staying until I retire in November has had a couple of times where the power has gone out for a couple of seconds and come back on with no apparent ill effects.

If I need the EMS, please let me know. We are newbies and appreciate your advice.

Dan

Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I just installed a Progressive Industries system over Independance day. With all the AC's running in the park, and given the fact that the power poles were suspect to begin with, it wasn't much suprise taht teh voltages were low. Flirting down around the trip point of 104.
I've read several accounts of these things saving their owners while neighboring AC units bit the dust from low voltage.
Mine actually tripped several times on the trip, appearently from momentary open neutral.
I've read good things about teh Progressive Industries products, but have had mine only a short time so all I can say is taht when i called them on a holiday weekend, a real person answered the phone..... then I called back the following week and talked to a tech for maybe 20 minutes..... so customer service is top notch I would say!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
A surge protector is a good idea to have. It was recommended to me to get one with both over and under protection as low voltage can do just as much, if not more damage than a surge. This thread was very helpful to me in deciding what to get. I ended up with the surge guard 34750 for my new 5er. The portable units like the one I got are cheaper but are at a higher risk of theft than a hardwired unit.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, ems, equipment