Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2019, 10:37 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam54 View Post
Wound up with a 2020 Coachmen Orion 20CB. In part because after retinal detachments in my right eye the Class A was just too big to handle. Now I feel like I'm driving an SUV, not an 18 wheeler, Lol. Going to get a front stabilizer for it, will see if rear anti-sway bars are necessary like it was in the Hurricane. Will miss the auto leveler (when it worked).
Our SOB previous motorhome service manager told me they bought Coachmen with the idea of bringing Coachmen quality up to their quality.
He said Coachmen was pulling them down to their level.

But good news for you Coachmen (my opinion) is at least a couple of notches better than (our) Thor .

Old 10-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #22

Model: Quantum 26 ft.
State: Florida
THOR #7835
I am on board with all about the poor quality control of Thor. We bought a brand new 2017 Thor 26 Class C Quantum. Had a list to be fixed right from the start. None were fixed. Dealer was 90 miles away with zero help after the sale. I am very handy mechanically and electrically. I started correcting everything myself getting parts from Thor or the dealer if I could. They were extremely slow to turn the parts over to me. I found wood rot, wires dangling under the coach to be broken by road debris wires to generator and awning laying on the exhaust pipe that burned though and shorted. I could go on and on but I will save you the time. We traded it in on a 2019 Winnebago Class A 29 VE. No list. Dealer contacts us once a month to see if everything is okay, Manufacturer contacts us. Quality is superior.
I still like this forum with the good people willing to share their experience and knowledge freely. I would never buy another Thor.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:37 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcurious View Post
I am on board with all about the poor quality control of Thor. We bought a brand new 2017 Thor 26 Class C Quantum. Had a list to be fixed right from the start. None were fixed. Dealer was 90 miles away with zero help after the sale. I am very handy mechanically and electrically. I started correcting everything myself getting parts from Thor or the dealer if I could. They were extremely slow to turn the parts over to me. I found wood rot, wires dangling under the coach to be broken by road debris wires to generator and awning laying on the exhaust pipe that burned though and shorted. I could go on and on but I will save you the time. We traded it in on a 2019 Winnebago Class A 29 VE. No list. Dealer contacts us once a month to see if everything is okay, Manufacturer contacts us. Quality is superior.
I still like this forum with the good people willing to share their experience and knowledge freely. I would never buy another Thor.
Would you pay $10k more for your 2019 Winnebago Class A 29 VE over the equivalent Thor? ( 27B/29M)

I have seen some great looking Thors, but the pricing was not competitive at all. The ones that have a fair market price ( I assume 30% off MSRP) that we wanted to buy all had list of issues that were blocks before purchase. The 2019 Winnebago Class A 29 VE after 3 hours of go through top to bottom, I could only find one defect ( a loose door that cover fuse box)

I am trying to prepare myself to go back and dig deeper to pay about $12k more than what I had agreed to pay for 27B.

What I loose with 2019 Winnebago Class A 29 VE
1. Firefly controller
2. Dimming lights
3. AGS
4. Digital readouts of House & Chassis batteries
5. Sink covers in Kitchen
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:09 AM   #24

THOR #7835
Would I pay $10 K more for the Winnebago? No, I negotiated a deal where I paid about $3,900 more. But here is what I got. More under carriage storage, bigger shower, larger black water/gray water/fresh water tanks. 2 independent A/C's. Same size refrig but got an outdoor kitchen with another refrig and extra storage. Gas grill that attaches ( quick disconnect ) to the house regulated propane. Framed windows and much more comfortable/Quality captains chairs. We got more indoor cabinets and drawers even in the bedroom. Same quality cabinets as the Quantum but Winnebago makes their own cabinets so all cabinets are serialized so if one is damaged they can give me the exact replacement. We got a fiberglass roof, no TPO. I have not found one loose/missing or broken screw. Quality is far better. No fix it list. The only thing that I have fixed ( I broke it ) is a cabinet latch, $.49 at Lowe's. 3 hour walk thru and how to use tour. We checked Holiday Rambler, Thor, Coachman, Winnebago and one more.
Winnebago does have an excellent Forum but I love this one. If I need Winnebago specific advice I can go there. The vast knowledge and experience here is outstanding and they don't care if I am a S.O.B. As far as the Items you are looking for you just have to shop or maybe add yourself.

Bob Denham is always good for a laugh.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:13 AM   #25

THOR #7835
Also, I would go for the 29 VE, that's where we got all the extras.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:15 AM   #26

THOR #7835
Also again, we got side cameras ans adjustible read camera.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:36 AM   #27

THOR #13058
Quote:
Would I pay $10 K more for the Winnebago? No, I negotiated a deal where I paid about $3,900 more. But here is what I got. More under carriage storage, bigger shower, larger black water/gray water/fresh water tanks. 2 independent A/C's. Same size refrig but got an outdoor kitchen with another refrig and extra storage. Gas grill that attaches ( quick disconnect ) to the house regulated propane. Framed windows and much more comfortable/Quality captains chairs. We got more indoor cabinets and drawers even in the bedroom. Same quality cabinets as the Quantum but Winnebago makes their own cabinets so all cabinets are serialized so if one is damaged they can give me the exact replacement. We got a fiberglass roof, no TPO. I have not found one loose/missing or broken screw. Quality is far better. No fix it list. The only thing that I have fixed ( I broke it ) is a cabinet latch, $.49 at Lowe's. 3 hour walk thru and how to use tour. We checked Holiday Rambler, Thor, Coachman, Winnebago and one more.
Winnebago does have an excellent Forum but I love this one. If I need Winnebago specific advice I can go there. The vast knowledge and experience here is outstanding and they don't care if I am a S.O.B. As far as the Items you are looking for you just have to shop or maybe add yourself.

Bob Denham is always good for a laugh.
What about Bob?

Yes he brings atmosphere to the site. His "Thats Outstanding" picture always makes me laugh.

You and I have a lot in common, we started looking at the Quantum as our 1st choice. Luckily we got caught in a heavy rainstorm at a dealership with air running. My wife did not like the left leg space on the 450 Chassis; then we started seeing puddles of water in several places, slided, vents etc were leaking major puddles. It stop raining and then we went to ACE 29.3, from there 27B and now the 29VE.

The thing about the 29VE that I don't like besides price is no AGS. I called Winnebago and they don't recommend any aftermarket so you are on your own. I am trying to find out how much more it will cost to have it added.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-17-2019, 04:43 AM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
Also again, we got side cameras ans adjustible read camera.
This is our list of what we gain

More storage space
Convenience of front bunk bed (no need adj chairs, fast, 600 lb capacity)
No front step up platform in cockpit
Outside steps 2 vs 1
Porch light
Bed fully functional, slide in
Light indicator for jacks are down
End to end length 30.3 ft
Prewired for satellite
Battery location
40" TV outside
TV awning tall enough to walk under
Outdoor kitchen
Ice chest
Fiberglass high gloss finish
Fiberglass roof
Pump out station one location
Waste pump
Very large shower
Automatic/on demand water pump
Side cameras location
Sunscreen shade
Radio power source switch
Radio speaker source switch
Mud room for shoes
Heat furnace in back.
No dog window ( we don't have pets and my wife does not like the window by her foot with no curtain out of fear of peeping Tom or similar)
Hardwired 50 AMP cable
Surge guard
Power Control selector center
Awning decorative on both sides.
Slide only extends 20"
Has window in Bedroom slide

What we lose (negative)

$10,000 more money out my bank account
No AGS
No Digital Chasis 12v or Engine Gauges
No Sink covers
No Firefly controller
No D player
No HDMI switcher
TV is 24" vs 32" in bedroom
No Windshield Fans
No overhead Mirrors in front cockpit
No Power controlled Driver seat
No Outdoor Shower
No Electric Heater

The way I see it Thor's Quality issue is going to cost me money either way we go.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:59 PM   #29

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #17050
I'm so happy you were happy with your axis. We purchased one but can't take it home yet.
Found too many things wrong on walk through.
I get discouraged reading about all the issues with them. Our previous rv was an Itasca Spirit and had no issues the 5 years we owned it. We want the axis because of the view!
Old 10-21-2019, 05:33 AM   #30

State: California
THOR #14070
Enough.

I absolutely hate the quality of work on RVs these days. My new 2019 Thor ACE 30.2 has a long list of problems that will be done (I hope) under warranty at the end of the season. AC doesn’t work, leveling jacks don’t work, entire infotainment screen randomly shuts down, plugs that don’t work, and much more. My RV is a $#!%-show to say the least.

Have you seen the videos on YouTube of the manufacturing process? They have zero professionalism, and the guys are slapping them together way faster than is safe, let alone at a speed where they could actually have some quality control.

As mentioned though... there isn’t any real competition. “Made in America” used to mean quality. Thor is a modern day example of how some companies destroyed that. It is only be a matter of time before some foreign company starts building quality RVs. Then everyone will wonder how they took over the industry.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #31

THOR #7835
There are much better quality ones on the market. You will pay more. Thor is an entry level price RV, though we think we pay a lot on money but not compared to the upper price brands. We were boaters for 40 years and the same issues there. Bayliner was the entry level price boat, same quality. As far as the foreign market producing better quality RV's, they will get bought out here i.e Thor bought out RoadTrac, the largest class B manufacturer in Europe. We had a 2017 Thor Quantum 26 foot brand new. I ended up fixing everything myself because of the lack of follow through from the dealer and the factory. We traded for a 2019 Winnebago 29 VE. Not one single issue. We paid $6K more than equivalent Thor but the quality is WOW! Whomever got our Thor Quantum got a cream puff after I fixed everything.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:56 PM   #32

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Thor is an entry level price RV, though we think we pay a lot on money but not compared to the upper price brands.
I keep hearing this “entry level “ argument for Thor’s lack of quality, but I don’t buy it.

I like McDonalds and I like The Ale House, which are miles apart in all aspects. But I still expect my food to be cooked correctly at McDonalds, even though they aren’t a top shelf restaurant.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:27 PM   #33

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
I keep hearing this “entry level “ argument for Thor’s lack of quality, but I don’t buy it.

I like McDonalds and I like The Ale House, which are miles apart in all aspects. But I still expect my food to be cooked correctly at McDonalds, even though they aren’t a top shelf restaurant.

I’m with you on the build quality. Cabinets, furniture, fixtures, flooring and on and on. I knew all of that would be on the very low end. What I didn’t understand was that bleeds over to the build quality. IMO that should not happen. I am working through the issues and so far nothing really bad has happened. We like the rig and are having a lot of fun.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:31 PM   #34

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:

That isn't a good analogy.
The Thor is cooked exactly per federal laws, correctly.
The McDonald's is cooked exactly per federal laws, correctly.

Both can be had with any added things from the cupboard; extra pickles, bigger generator, extra lettuce, better couch. This is undeniable.

Some here would take their hamburger back to McDonald's to have the pickle recentered.
Some would recenter it themselves, some would eat it as is realizing it's McDonald's.
Some know pickles are not truffles. Some think they were buying truffles... Some don't think.

If Thor is the best you know about then Thor isn't entry level. It's the best.
Education can't be forced upon anyone, prior or after purchase.

Happy can be had easily by recentering my own pickle. Or I can stand in line to have a tech recenter that pickle, and bitch about the line and the original clerk not being there and the manager thinking I'm a fool. And maybe I'm a fool and it's a misaligned pickle and not the demise of civilization I proclaim it is.
Or
I can sell my rv before I even drove it out of my homes driveway due to a bad wash job or residual sawdust.

I guess the punchline is :
Name enough entry lines lower than Thor to put Thor above average.
Then name enough of them to put Thor in the top third.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:18 AM   #35

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Spin it however you want Duckface, but sloppy assembly and poor QC isn’t acceptable regardless of the product.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:21 AM   #36

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Spin it however you want Duckface, but sloppy assembly and poor QC isn’t acceptable regardless of the product.
Name the lesser units.
It wasn't a spin, I think it was a long drawn out truth.

There must be lesser units readily known.
I can't name any or I'd have named them.

The OP is the winner here.
He did what it took to erase, regroup, and get happy.
I am the winner here.
I appreciate the placeholders they gave me and I use them until I can get that GE profile advantium microwave or four wheel drive installed, and get happy.

Someone settled... It wasn't me or the OP.

I suggest happy be the plan.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:38 AM   #37

THOR #12468
Black and grey water

2019 Thor Hurricane, my grey tank always reads 38% black tank 68% they are bone dry, is there anything that can be done to correct this?
Old 10-22-2019, 12:41 AM   #38

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaspys02 View Post
2019 Thor Hurricane, my grey tank always reads 38% black tank 68% they are bone dry, is there anything that can be done to correct this?

From new they have been that way?
Old 10-22-2019, 12:56 AM   #39

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Would you pay $10k more for your 2019 Winnebago Class A 29 VE over the equivalent Thor? ( 27B/29M)

I have seen some great looking Thors, but the pricing was not competitive at all. The ones that have a fair market price ( I assume 30% off MSRP) that we wanted to buy all had list of issues that were blocks before purchase. The 2019 Winnebago Class A 29 VE after 3 hours of go through top to bottom, I could only find one defect ( a loose door that cover fuse box)

I am trying to prepare myself to go back and dig deeper to pay about $12k more than what I had agreed to pay for 27B.

What I loose with 2019 Winnebago Class A 29 VE

1. Firefly controller

2. Dimming lights

3. AGS

4. Digital readouts of House & Chassis batteries

5. Sink covers in Kitchen

My Winnebago 29 VE was a 2017 so maybe the newer ones are different but mine didn’t have an automatic transfer switch on the shore/generator power. Personally I thought that was a plus but many folks wouldn’t. I had more quality issues with the Winnebago than I did with my Freedom Elite. Including issues with the fiberglass roof. I’ve come to believe that TPO is an inherently better product! Traded it on a used Fleetwood that, for us, is better than either.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #40

Model: Quantum WS31
State: Massachusetts
THOR #16115
Quality control, quality workmanship, incredibly deficient at Thor and Forest River for that matter. Probably a majority of RV manufacturers I bet.

My brand new 2020 Quantum WS31 I've owned for about 8 weeks.

• Shower was installed on a drain pipe that was to high so all the water migrates to the sides of the shower instead of going down the drain.

• Shower was also installed at a slant so the water pools in a corner. (yes I'm sure the rig is level)

• HDIM cable from the cabinet the HDMI switch lives in, to the TV over the kitchen table is broken. The TV is attach to the wall on the full slide out, don't know how the cable can be replaced without tearing a bunch of stuff off. The Dealer didn't want to deal with doing all of that and is suggesting a wireless solution.

• Water pours out down the RV exterior wall behind the awing.

• Awing LED lights are shorted out

• Clip that holds the shower head fell off, stripped screws

• ON 4 of the window shades every time you pull the grip handle to move the shades it pulls off.

• Buzzing sound coming from the exterior tv sound bar, probably a loose ground somewhere

• Refrigerator was installed at a slight tilt forward so every time you open the refrigerator door the freezer door opens.

Trying to figure out how to handle all these problems. The Dealership is 500 miles away.